Typography sort of business book: Typo

  • allenprinter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2007
      FYI - I saw a rather interesting new book at my local bookstore yesterday:
      "Typo: The Last American Typesetter, or How I Made and Lost 4 Million Dollars",
      about the collapse of the Clarinda Typesetting Company in Iowa a few years ago. Its Amazon
      page includes praise as a cautionary business tale re: the end of an industry, shifting
      markets, etc.; and praise as a compelling case study for MBA students. An appendix has a
      cursory history of printing from Gutenberg till now.

      Brian Allen
      Cary, North Carolina
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2007
        One interesting line from this book is: "The process of laying bits
        of lead together to make lines of type has passed away for all but
        the most remote Jungle Daily." So the typesetting referred to is not
        hot metal or related but electronic. One reviewer refers to the
        author as being a jackass, but it could be interesting reading as
        Brian suggests. I was blissfully unaware that most typesetting for
        book work, and who knows what else, is now done in India. Perhaps
        the proofreaders and editors are from there as well and that would
        explain some of the shoddy work seen in printed books and magazines.
        One reviewer cited a reference that as many as 40 million jobs will
        be outsourced, so maybe the American heartland will become the
        jungle of metal typesetting--ironic that we technologically trashed
        ourselves.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "allenprinter"