Re: opaque white ink

  • Rodney Grantham
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "brandtchristine"
      <brandtchristine@...> wrote:

      > Can someone recommend a opaque white for printing on black paper?
      Also, does anyone
      > know a cool white as opposed to a warm white ink? I have a rubber
      base opaque white, but it
      > is very warm, almost cream.
      >
      > thanks Christine

      It's called reverse printing, where the background is black and the
      white substrate (paper) appears to be printed white on a black
      background. To print a larger area, it may be necessary to double kiss
      the impression.

      As other posters have mentioned, screen printing, hot foil printing and
      pad printing will achieve the white on black result with mixed results
      depending of the texture of the substrate. Of course the cost of
      equipment and materials are likely to outweight printing a reverse with
      letterpress.

      And, this may be considered blasphmy on a letterpress forum, many of
      these types of techiques are easier printed offset. Our print shop has
      gone completely digital and have disposed of our camera and platemaking
      department several years ago. It's amazing how cheap you can get into
      offset.

      Have fun

      Rod
    • henderson_adele
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
        For a beautiful lush effect, if your edition is small you can also apply a powdered silver
        pigment to the inked area (I get mine from Kremer Pigments in NYC) with a soft brush and
        then clean off the excess with compressed air. Wear a respirator or do it outdoors. Apply
        the pigment when the ink is still wet.

        Adele

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Grantham" <granthams@...> wrote:

        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "brandtchristine"
        > <brandtchristine@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Can someone recommend a opaque white for printing on black paper?
        > Also, does anyone
        > > know a cool white as opposed to a warm white ink? I have a rubber
        > base opaque white, but it
        > > is very warm, almost cream.
        > >
        > > thanks Christine
        > >

        > It's called reverse printing, where the background is black and the
        > white substrate (paper) appears to be printed white on a black
        > background. To print a larger area, it may be necessary to double kiss
        > the impression.
        >
        > As other posters have mentioned, screen printing, hot foil printing and
        > pad printing will achieve the white on black result with mixed results
        > depending of the texture of the substrate. Of course the cost of
        > equipment and materials are likely to outweight printing a reverse with
        > letterpress.
        >
        > And, this may be considered blasphmy on a letterpress forum, many of
        > these types of techiques are easier printed offset. Our print shop has
        > gone completely digital and have disposed of our camera and platemaking
        > department several years ago. It's amazing how cheap you can get into
        > offset.
        >
        > Have fun
        >
        > Rod

      • henderson_adele
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
          I have used #5000 Pearl Luster Ekaton Silver. If you apply it while the ink is wet, let it sit a
          while before using the compressed air on it. After the ink underneath is completely dry
          you can polish it with a soft cloth to increase its luster.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
            Christine

            I haven't had all that much occasion to do this but I have used a
            Handschy opaque white on black papers. I mix a bit of color to it
            taken from some other element of the design. White ink will appear
            dirty on black paper mainly because it is white on black and the paper
            will influence the ink either through inadequate coverage or optics. A
            second color added to the white will alter this. But as said, it
            should reference some other color that is being used to work properly.
            Letterpress printing, if done right, is nothing less than an optical
            illusion to the senses and intellect, a magic trick.