Re: [PPLetterpress] opaque white ink

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
      Foil stamping, silkscreen, and engraving are the best ways to true
      opacity. I have had interesting, though not truly opaque, results from
      printing twice, allowing ink to dry, then printing over it.

      Gary Mordhorst wrote:

      >Hello Christine,
      >
      >I have given up on opaque white ink, as it absorbs into the paper to he point of disappearing. I have been using white foil stamping with magnificent results.
      >
      >Best regards,
      >
      >Gary Mordhorst
      >AccuColor Plus, Inc.
      >2134 W. Division
      >Chicago, IL 60622
      >
      >www.accucolor.com
      >(773) 227-7788

    • Rodney Grantham
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "brandtchristine"
        <brandtchristine@...> wrote:

        > Can someone recommend a opaque white for printing on black paper?
        Also, does anyone
        > know a cool white as opposed to a warm white ink? I have a rubber
        base opaque white, but it
        > is very warm, almost cream.
        >
        > thanks Christine

        It's called reverse printing, where the background is black and the
        white substrate (paper) appears to be printed white on a black
        background. To print a larger area, it may be necessary to double kiss
        the impression.

        As other posters have mentioned, screen printing, hot foil printing and
        pad printing will achieve the white on black result with mixed results
        depending of the texture of the substrate. Of course the cost of
        equipment and materials are likely to outweight printing a reverse with
        letterpress.

        And, this may be considered blasphmy on a letterpress forum, many of
        these types of techiques are easier printed offset. Our print shop has
        gone completely digital and have disposed of our camera and platemaking
        department several years ago. It's amazing how cheap you can get into
        offset.

        Have fun

        Rod
      • henderson_adele
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
          For a beautiful lush effect, if your edition is small you can also apply a powdered silver
          pigment to the inked area (I get mine from Kremer Pigments in NYC) with a soft brush and
          then clean off the excess with compressed air. Wear a respirator or do it outdoors. Apply
          the pigment when the ink is still wet.

          Adele

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Grantham" <granthams@...> wrote:

          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "brandtchristine"
          > <brandtchristine@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can someone recommend a opaque white for printing on black paper?
          > Also, does anyone
          > > know a cool white as opposed to a warm white ink? I have a rubber
          > base opaque white, but it
          > > is very warm, almost cream.
          > >
          > > thanks Christine
          > >

          > It's called reverse printing, where the background is black and the
          > white substrate (paper) appears to be printed white on a black
          > background. To print a larger area, it may be necessary to double kiss
          > the impression.
          >
          > As other posters have mentioned, screen printing, hot foil printing and
          > pad printing will achieve the white on black result with mixed results
          > depending of the texture of the substrate. Of course the cost of
          > equipment and materials are likely to outweight printing a reverse with
          > letterpress.
          >
          > And, this may be considered blasphmy on a letterpress forum, many of
          > these types of techiques are easier printed offset. Our print shop has
          > gone completely digital and have disposed of our camera and platemaking
          > department several years ago. It's amazing how cheap you can get into
          > offset.
          >
          > Have fun
          >
          > Rod

        • henderson_adele
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
            I have used #5000 Pearl Luster Ekaton Silver. If you apply it while the ink is wet, let it sit a
            while before using the compressed air on it. After the ink underneath is completely dry
            you can polish it with a soft cloth to increase its luster.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
              Christine

              I haven't had all that much occasion to do this but I have used a
              Handschy opaque white on black papers. I mix a bit of color to it
              taken from some other element of the design. White ink will appear
              dirty on black paper mainly because it is white on black and the paper
              will influence the ink either through inadequate coverage or optics. A
              second color added to the white will alter this. But as said, it
              should reference some other color that is being used to work properly.
              Letterpress printing, if done right, is nothing less than an optical
              illusion to the senses and intellect, a magic trick.