Re: [PPLetterpress] opaque white ink

  • Gary Mordhorst
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hello Christine,

      I have given up on opaque white ink, as it absorbs into the paper to he point of disappearing. I have been using white foil stamping with magnificent results.

      Best regards,

      Gary Mordhorst
      AccuColor Plus, Inc.
      2134 W. Division
      Chicago, IL 60622

      www.accucolor.com
      (773) 227-7788

      Conventional Offset, Contemporary Letterpress, Foil Stamping

      AccuColor Plus is a Certified Adobe Print Service Provider

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
        Foil stamping, silkscreen, and engraving are the best ways to true
        opacity. I have had interesting, though not truly opaque, results from
        printing twice, allowing ink to dry, then printing over it.

        Gary Mordhorst wrote:

        >Hello Christine,
        >
        >I have given up on opaque white ink, as it absorbs into the paper to he point of disappearing. I have been using white foil stamping with magnificent results.
        >
        >Best regards,
        >
        >Gary Mordhorst
        >AccuColor Plus, Inc.
        >2134 W. Division
        >Chicago, IL 60622
        >
        >www.accucolor.com
        >(773) 227-7788

      • Rodney Grantham
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "brandtchristine"
          <brandtchristine@...> wrote:

          > Can someone recommend a opaque white for printing on black paper?
          Also, does anyone
          > know a cool white as opposed to a warm white ink? I have a rubber
          base opaque white, but it
          > is very warm, almost cream.
          >
          > thanks Christine

          It's called reverse printing, where the background is black and the
          white substrate (paper) appears to be printed white on a black
          background. To print a larger area, it may be necessary to double kiss
          the impression.

          As other posters have mentioned, screen printing, hot foil printing and
          pad printing will achieve the white on black result with mixed results
          depending of the texture of the substrate. Of course the cost of
          equipment and materials are likely to outweight printing a reverse with
          letterpress.

          And, this may be considered blasphmy on a letterpress forum, many of
          these types of techiques are easier printed offset. Our print shop has
          gone completely digital and have disposed of our camera and platemaking
          department several years ago. It's amazing how cheap you can get into
          offset.

          Have fun

          Rod
        • henderson_adele
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
            For a beautiful lush effect, if your edition is small you can also apply a powdered silver
            pigment to the inked area (I get mine from Kremer Pigments in NYC) with a soft brush and
            then clean off the excess with compressed air. Wear a respirator or do it outdoors. Apply
            the pigment when the ink is still wet.

            Adele

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Grantham" <granthams@...> wrote:

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "brandtchristine"
            > <brandtchristine@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can someone recommend a opaque white for printing on black paper?
            > Also, does anyone
            > > know a cool white as opposed to a warm white ink? I have a rubber
            > base opaque white, but it
            > > is very warm, almost cream.
            > >
            > > thanks Christine
            > >

            > It's called reverse printing, where the background is black and the
            > white substrate (paper) appears to be printed white on a black
            > background. To print a larger area, it may be necessary to double kiss
            > the impression.
            >
            > As other posters have mentioned, screen printing, hot foil printing and
            > pad printing will achieve the white on black result with mixed results
            > depending of the texture of the substrate. Of course the cost of
            > equipment and materials are likely to outweight printing a reverse with
            > letterpress.
            >
            > And, this may be considered blasphmy on a letterpress forum, many of
            > these types of techiques are easier printed offset. Our print shop has
            > gone completely digital and have disposed of our camera and platemaking
            > department several years ago. It's amazing how cheap you can get into
            > offset.
            >
            > Have fun
            >
            > Rod

          • henderson_adele
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
              I have used #5000 Pearl Luster Ekaton Silver. If you apply it while the ink is wet, let it sit a
              while before using the compressed air on it. After the ink underneath is completely dry
              you can polish it with a soft cloth to increase its luster.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
                Christine

                I haven't had all that much occasion to do this but I have used a
                Handschy opaque white on black papers. I mix a bit of color to it
                taken from some other element of the design. White ink will appear
                dirty on black paper mainly because it is white on black and the paper
                will influence the ink either through inadequate coverage or optics. A
                second color added to the white will alter this. But as said, it
                should reference some other color that is being used to work properly.
                Letterpress printing, if done right, is nothing less than an optical
                illusion to the senses and intellect, a magic trick.