Double Washout?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
      I'm not sure why a double washout is required here:

      http://www.silverclayart.com/ppplates_double_exposure.htm

      I'd think a staggered initial exposure would provide the same result.
      Only thing I can figure is that this might just be a more reliable
      technique sans platemaking machine?

      Or maybe I am missing something?

    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007

        > I'm not sure why a double washout is required here:
        >
        > http://www.silverclayart.com/ppplates_double_exposure.htm

        Gerald, the way that page reads to me, they are doing two exposures
        and two washouts to get two different levels in the material. The
        lower level isn't detailed; just sort of a shelf around the main image.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • Rodney Grantham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007

          > I'm not sure why a double washout is required here:
          >
          > http://www.silverclayart.com/ppplates_double_exposure.htm
          >
          > I'd think a staggered initial exposure would provide the same result.
          > Only thing I can figure is that this might just be a more reliable
          > technique sans platemaking machine?
          >
          > Or maybe I am missing something?
          >
          > Gerald
          > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

          We use liquid photopolymer for these techniques. The thickness is
          easily changed by the bearer thickness. For a stepped design, two
          negatives are used on either side. By using a temporary base sheet a
          pieced design is possible. There is a very condensed video on YouTube
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvOKy3Msa4I showing how photopolymer is
          used for investment casting. Another of my YouTube videos shows
          photopolymer used for a sand casting pattern.

          Rod
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
            Thanks Eric

            Now it makes sense to me!!! Cool.