Re: correcting ink spread

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
      > Gerald and Erik,
      >
      > This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
      > (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
      > line image for good letterpress printing.
      >
      > are there any other filters that you can recommend ?
      >
      > thanks,
      > Mark.

      Hi Mark

      The unsharp mask is quite useful, in some situations, maybe most, but
      it most usually is one of the last filters you would use in a
      sequence as it is clearly a "demarcation" filter. The movement is
      from "fuzz" to clarity. Introduce clarity too soon and you have to
      retrace your steps.

      Problem with most of these filters is they really need to be used in
      combination and seqsuence. Lot of experimentation at first, and every
      image has its own requirements. More art than science if you are
      trying to get it right. Can't come up with a consistent recipe.

      But if unsharp seems to be working, keep doing it. 500% is a huge
      movement though, isn't it? I'm a bit too cautious perhaps. Maybe I
      just don't trust in this stuff enough.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
        Mark Attwood wrote:

        > Gerald,
        >
        > I find that for some odd reason that unsharp masking at such high levels of
        > 500% seems to open up the areas that are likely to fill in on the press and
        > at the same time strengthen light details that are likely to drop out, as
        > sort of fix-both-problems at the same time solution. I haven't found any
        > other filters that seem to help much though.
        >
        > Mark Attwood

        Mark

        There are three control parameters for the unsharp mask filter. What are your
        exact settings for each?

        Gerald
      • Mark Attwood
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
          Gerald and Erik,

          This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
          (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
          line image for good letterpress printing.

          are there any other filters that you can recommend ?

          thanks,
          Mark.

          Mark Attwood

          The Artists' Press
          Box 623
          Newtown
          2113
          South Africa

          Tel. +27 11 836 5474
          fax. +27 11 836 6858
          mark@...
        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002

            ----------
            >From: "bielerpr" <bieler@...>
            >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: correcting ink spread
            >Date: Wed, Aug 14, 2002, 8:13 am
            >

            >> Gerald and Erik,
            >>
            >> This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
            >> (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
            >> line image for good letterpress printing.
            >>
            >> are there any other filters that you can recommend ?
            >>
            >> thanks,
            >> Mark.
            >>

            > Hi Mark
            >
            > The unsharp mask is quite useful, in some situations, maybe most, but
            > it most usually is one of the last filters you would use in a
            > sequence as it is clearly a "demarcation" filter. The movement is
            > from "fuzz" to clarity. Introduce clarity too soon and you have to
            > retrace your steps.
            >
            > Problem with most of these filters is they really need to be used in
            > combination and seqsuence. Lot of experimentation at first, and every
            > image has its own requirements. More art than science if you are
            > trying to get it right. Can't come up with a consistent recipe.
            >
            > But if unsharp seems to be working, keep doing it. 500% is a huge
            > movement though, isn't it? I'm a bit too cautious perhaps. Maybe I
            > just don't trust in this stuff enough.

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > • Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > • To unsubscribe:

          • Michael Peich
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
              on 8/14/02 1:13 AM, bielerpr at bieler@... wrote:

              >> Gerald and Erik,
              >>
              >> This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
              >> (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
              >> line image for good letterpress printing.
              >>
              >> are there any other filters that you can recommend ?
              >>
              >> thanks,
              >> Mark.
              >>

              > Hi Mark
              >
              > The unsharp mask is quite useful, in some situations, maybe most, but
              > it most usually is one of the last filters you would use in a
              > sequence as it is clearly a "demarcation" filter. The movement is
              > from "fuzz" to clarity. Introduce clarity too soon and you have to
              > retrace your steps.
              >
              > Problem with most of these filters is they really need to be used in
              > combination and seqsuence. Lot of experimentation at first, and every
              > image has its own requirements. More art than science if you are
              > trying to get it right. Can't come up with a consistent recipe.
              >
              > But if unsharp seems to be working, keep doing it. 500% is a huge
              > movement though, isn't it? I'm a bit too cautious perhaps. Maybe I
              > just don't trust in this stuff enough.

              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > • Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > • To unsubscribe:

              Hey Gerry, (or should I say, Gerald?)

              It's been fascinating reading e-mails from this group, although the
              polymer plate discussions are way over my leaded head. You've become the
              guru for this stuff, and impressively knowledgeable.

              One quick piece of business. I am a member of the APHA board of
              directors and at our last meeting I agreed to contact you about your lapsed
              membership. Since you were the individual who encouraged me to join APHA a
              number of years ago, I want to encourage you to renew your membership. Lots
              of good things are happening, and we need all the support we can muster. Do
              it.

              I suspect I'll see you next at Oak Knoll. Have a productive few last
              gasp of summer, and early fall.

              Cheers, Mike
            • Erik Desmyter
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
                > As you say there is a bit more art than science but the usual is: Amount
                500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about 5. set the amount at 500
                and then play with the radius, at some point you will quickly see you will
                get the optimal result.

                If you go to our PPletterpress website
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress/ and go for "Files" (at the left
                side) and then under "How to" you will see 6 small files I have created as
                an example. What I have done is I first made in Adobe photoshop a letter R
                in Times New Roman at 12 points (R created in photoshop 2400ppi.TIF). This
                file was then printed with a standard HP laserprinter 5L at 600dpi and this
                printed document was then scanned at 600ppi, 1200ppi, 2400ppi in line art
                and also 600ppi in grayscales.

                I have also tried the above unsharp masking correction (500%, radius, 1.2
                pixels, 5 threshold) on the grayscale scan (R scan grayscales 600ppi +
                unsharp masking.PDF).

                The goal should be to get back (after the scanning and the clean up) as
                close as possible to the original creation. The printing with a laser
                printer at 600dpi is losing a lot of quality but I think real letterpress
                printing will have more quality loss with more ink spread, etc...

                Please feel free to use one of the 4 scans and try to do some processing or
                correction to get to a good result as close as possible to the original.

                Erik
              • Mark Attwood
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
                  Hi Gerald,

                  As you say there is a bit more art than science but the usual is: Amount
                  500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about 5. set the amount at 500
                  and then play with the radius, at some point you will quickly see you will
                  get the optimal result. I don't know if this is the best way, just what I
                  have discovered is best for me. I would appreciate any feedback from others
                  in this regard.

                  Mark Attwood

                  The Artists' Press
                  Box 623
                  Newtown
                  2113
                  South Africa

                  Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                  fax. +27 11 836 6858
                  mark@...

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
                    Hi Gerald,

                    As you say there is a bit more art than science
                    but the usual is: Amount
                    500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about
                    5. set the amount at 500
                    and then play with the radius, at some point you
                    will quickly see you will
                    get the optimal result. I don't know if this is
                    the best way, just what I
                    have discovered is best for me. I would
                    appreciate any feedback from others
                    in this regard.

                    Mark Attwood

                    The Artists' Press
                    Box 623
                    Newtown
                    2113
                    South Africa

                    Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                    fax. +27 11 836 6858
                    mark@...

                    Dear Mark

                    Thought I'd test this out with a something I would have found quite difficult.
                    I downloaded an image of one of Tycho's Brahe's astronomical instruments,
                    printed in the 16th century. This was a very colorful JPEG at 300 dpi. I
                    opened it in Photoshop, re-sampled to 600 dpi and converted it to a grayscale.
                    I ran your formula twice and converted the file to b/w bitmap while
                    re-sampling to 1200 dpi. I printed it out at 1200 dpi. Fell out of my chair.
                    Absolute clarity and as perfect a conversion of the blacks and whites as I
                    have ever seen. All in about five minutes of time!!!

                    You have found the Holy Grail my son. I get down on my knees to you.

                    All best