Re: Hello and C&P Inking Question

  • yaazmeena
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 19, 2007
      Hello again... sorry for my delayed response. I've been a busy bee - printing all day
      yesterday and all day today. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for your quick
      and thorough responses. All were incredibly helpful. In the end, we switched back to our
      metal trucks, added a bit more packing (not much), and took our time through the
      double/triple inking process.

      To answer some of the questions that came up...
      -The press is a OS C&P 8x12. It does not have the vibrator (I can't help but to giggle at
      that one) but it does have the mount for an inking fountain. Somewhere in one of our
      boxes we have the roller for that as well. I have to dig that out and figure out how it
      works. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what the vibrating roller setup looks like - just
      for future reference.

      - The impression and packing were different for the coated and uncoated sheets. We were
      doing some tests on the coated to get an accurate assessment of 'what' we were actually
      printing before we jumped to the thick, cotton-y stuff.

      - For the Lettra, we were using all hard packing.

      - I half-heartedly tried some dampening. I need to go through the archives closer and
      really make a serious effort to test this out.

      As a side note: Its kinda interesting to hear so many folks reiterate the 'quality' of the
      Vandercook, after reading so many posts about the Vandercook buying craze. I have to
      admit (after the last two days of treadling) I sure wish I had one of those Vandys ;)
      Although instead of my leg hurting - my arm would be hurting. Six in one, half dozen in
      the other. Maybe one day, I'll have a whole slew of toys to choose from...

      Thanks again everyone!
      ck