RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Hello and C&P Inking Question

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 19 5:03 AM
      Fritz,

      I can send you some pictures of the ones we have, if you want to see them.
      All the ones we have are now worn on the inside of the roller where it
      moved back and forth on the shaft, the end without the screw that causes
      the movement. Mostly, this is due to lack of lubrication, and this is a
      defect of the design, because as soon as you try to lubricate that point on
      the shaft, you get oil/grease/whatever falling onto the rollers and getting
      into the ink.....

      If I remember today, I will take a few pictures and post them to the PPL
      photos section....

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

    • Blue Barnhouse
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 19 12:31 PM
        I would be one of the first to purchase such a setup.

        Brandon

        On Jun 19, 2007, at 12:37 AM, nagraph1 wrote:

        > Deep in the recesses of the blueprint files are original drawings
        > for an ink vibrator roller for the 10x15s that I have been
        > studiously ignoring. It is from the Cowan files and dates to the
        > 1920s. I looked at it once with the thought of having one made to
        > see if it worked. Maybe I'll look into doing that.
        >
        > Fritz
        >
        > -- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
        > <lwwill7999@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Brandon,
        > >
        > > Actually, the 8x12 C&P NS press DOES have a vibrator roller
        > (steel) on the
        > > double roller saddle. Unfortunately, many of these presses, and
        > the larger
        > > and newer presses no longer have their vibrator rollers. I have
        > several
        > > worn out ones for the 10x15 Craftsman series, and would love to
        > figure out
        > > how to fix them up for use again.

      • nagraph1
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 19 1:01 PM
          Oh darn--now I'll have to do something, though in the back of my mind
          is the lingering question of why Cowan never marketed these? Too many
          existing competitors, maybe, or it didn't work. Only one way to find
          out, but with our move in the making, it will be a while.

          Fritz
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Blue Barnhouse
          <letpresslist@...> wrote:

          > I would be one of the first to purchase such a setup.
          >
          > Brandon
          >
          > On Jun 19, 2007, at 12:37 AM, nagraph1 wrote:
          >
          > > Deep in the recesses of the blueprint files are original drawings
          > > for an ink vibrator roller for the 10x15s
        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 19 1:23 PM
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

            > Oh darn--now I'll have to do something, though in the back of my mind
            > is the lingering question of why Cowan never marketed these? Too many
            > existing competitors, maybe, or it didn't work.

            As you already know, Fritz, both Acme and Triumph made clip-on
            oscillating distributors for C&Ps, no alteration to the saddles
            needed. There might have been others makers too. But I think that any
            C&P would benefit from simple rider rollers, to reduce ghosting and
            improve distribution of ink, especially if using the long fountain.
            Inking would improve even without oscillation.
            --E Holub, SF
          • Blue Barnhouse
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 19 1:35 PM
              I'd also be interested in a setup for 12x18 as well.

            • typetom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 19 2:08 PM
                I have an Acme oscillating roller for my 10x15 C&P. It's a great help. Mine
                clips on and rides above, between the top two rollers. A friend has a similar
                one with a slightly more difficult clip that rides between the bottom two
                rollers, also by Acme, I think.

                Another friend adapted an oscillating roller from another kind of press,
                with a similar home-designed clip system.

                Lance is right that provision for oiling is poorly designed -- mine has an
                oil hole that points down when it is correctly clipped in place!

                Easy to clean, easy to use, not very many of these available, probably worth
                the effort!
                Best wishes,
                Tom

                Tom Parson
                Now It's Up To You Publications
                157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                (303) 777-8951 home
                (720) 480-5358 cell phone
                http://members.aol.com/typetom

              • yaazmeena
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 19 8:25 PM
                  Hello again... sorry for my delayed response. I've been a busy bee - printing all day
                  yesterday and all day today. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for your quick
                  and thorough responses. All were incredibly helpful. In the end, we switched back to our
                  metal trucks, added a bit more packing (not much), and took our time through the
                  double/triple inking process.

                  To answer some of the questions that came up...
                  -The press is a OS C&P 8x12. It does not have the vibrator (I can't help but to giggle at
                  that one) but it does have the mount for an inking fountain. Somewhere in one of our
                  boxes we have the roller for that as well. I have to dig that out and figure out how it
                  works. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what the vibrating roller setup looks like - just
                  for future reference.

                  - The impression and packing were different for the coated and uncoated sheets. We were
                  doing some tests on the coated to get an accurate assessment of 'what' we were actually
                  printing before we jumped to the thick, cotton-y stuff.

                  - For the Lettra, we were using all hard packing.

                  - I half-heartedly tried some dampening. I need to go through the archives closer and
                  really make a serious effort to test this out.

                  As a side note: Its kinda interesting to hear so many folks reiterate the 'quality' of the
                  Vandercook, after reading so many posts about the Vandercook buying craze. I have to
                  admit (after the last two days of treadling) I sure wish I had one of those Vandys ;)
                  Although instead of my leg hurting - my arm would be hurting. Six in one, half dozen in
                  the other. Maybe one day, I'll have a whole slew of toys to choose from...

                  Thanks again everyone!
                  ck