Re: [PPLetterpress] correcting ink spread

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 13, 2002
      Katie Harper wrote:

      > Gerald: What is "foxing?" s'il vous plait?

      Well, I'm tempted on this one Katie.

      But... specifically, the colorful and not so colorful stains left on the sheet
      from mold and mildew. Though it often also refers to any discoration caused as
      a result of over-exposure to dampness and/or humidity. Can't remember if rust
      stains are also considerated as such or if they have their own special term.

      Gerald
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2002
        Gerald: What is "foxing?" s'il vous plait?

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2002
          At 2:08 PM +0000 2002-08-13, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >Erik Desmyter wrote:
          >>
          >> .....I need to be able to work with the image, drop out page
          >> material (foxing, show-through, etc), correct ink spread....
          >> So I need to work in grayscale.
          >>
          >> What steps do you do in Adobe Photoshop to correct ink spread?
          > > Erik

          Erik

          I'd use a levels adjustment layer...
          since the scanner records gray levels for points that are mid-way between the imaging elements, (on the edge of a line or curve, for instance, in line art) the layers adjustment allows you to play with the line width of your scan, opening or closing details and highlights...

          Used with fuzzy layer masks, you get plenty of control over these details.

          PF

          --
          -
          AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

          Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
          www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

          Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
          End Terrorism? End Poverty!
        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
            > Gerald and Erik,
            >
            > This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
            > (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
            > line image for good letterpress printing.
            >
            > are there any other filters that you can recommend ?
            >
            > thanks,
            > Mark.

            Hi Mark

            The unsharp mask is quite useful, in some situations, maybe most, but
            it most usually is one of the last filters you would use in a
            sequence as it is clearly a "demarcation" filter. The movement is
            from "fuzz" to clarity. Introduce clarity too soon and you have to
            retrace your steps.

            Problem with most of these filters is they really need to be used in
            combination and seqsuence. Lot of experimentation at first, and every
            image has its own requirements. More art than science if you are
            trying to get it right. Can't come up with a consistent recipe.

            But if unsharp seems to be working, keep doing it. 500% is a huge
            movement though, isn't it? I'm a bit too cautious perhaps. Maybe I
            just don't trust in this stuff enough.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
              Mark Attwood wrote:

              > Gerald,
              >
              > I find that for some odd reason that unsharp masking at such high levels of
              > 500% seems to open up the areas that are likely to fill in on the press and
              > at the same time strengthen light details that are likely to drop out, as
              > sort of fix-both-problems at the same time solution. I haven't found any
              > other filters that seem to help much though.
              >
              > Mark Attwood

              Mark

              There are three control parameters for the unsharp mask filter. What are your
              exact settings for each?

              Gerald
            • Mark Attwood
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
                Gerald and Erik,

                This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
                (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
                line image for good letterpress printing.

                are there any other filters that you can recommend ?

                thanks,
                Mark.

                Mark Attwood

                The Artists' Press
                Box 623
                Newtown
                2113
                South Africa

                Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                fax. +27 11 836 6858
                mark@...
              • Mark Attwood
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
                  Gerald,

                  ----------
                  >From: "bielerpr" <bieler@...>
                  >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: correcting ink spread
                  >Date: Wed, Aug 14, 2002, 8:13 am
                  >

                  >> Gerald and Erik,
                  >>
                  >> This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
                  >> (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
                  >> line image for good letterpress printing.
                  >>
                  >> are there any other filters that you can recommend ?
                  >>
                  >> thanks,
                  >> Mark.
                  >>

                  > Hi Mark
                  >
                  > The unsharp mask is quite useful, in some situations, maybe most, but
                  > it most usually is one of the last filters you would use in a
                  > sequence as it is clearly a "demarcation" filter. The movement is
                  > from "fuzz" to clarity. Introduce clarity too soon and you have to
                  > retrace your steps.
                  >
                  > Problem with most of these filters is they really need to be used in
                  > combination and seqsuence. Lot of experimentation at first, and every
                  > image has its own requirements. More art than science if you are
                  > trying to get it right. Can't come up with a consistent recipe.
                  >
                  > But if unsharp seems to be working, keep doing it. 500% is a huge
                  > movement though, isn't it? I'm a bit too cautious perhaps. Maybe I
                  > just don't trust in this stuff enough.

                  > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  > • Encountering problems? contact:
                  > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  > • To unsubscribe:

                • Michael Peich
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 14, 2002
                    on 8/14/02 1:13 AM, bielerpr at bieler@... wrote:

                    >> Gerald and Erik,
                    >>
                    >> This may sound a bit too easy, but I have found that unsharp masking
                    >> (usually twice at 500%) is the one filter that really seems to open up a
                    >> line image for good letterpress printing.
                    >>
                    >> are there any other filters that you can recommend ?
                    >>
                    >> thanks,
                    >> Mark.
                    >>

                    > Hi Mark
                    >
                    > The unsharp mask is quite useful, in some situations, maybe most, but
                    > it most usually is one of the last filters you would use in a
                    > sequence as it is clearly a "demarcation" filter. The movement is
                    > from "fuzz" to clarity. Introduce clarity too soon and you have to
                    > retrace your steps.
                    >
                    > Problem with most of these filters is they really need to be used in
                    > combination and seqsuence. Lot of experimentation at first, and every
                    > image has its own requirements. More art than science if you are
                    > trying to get it right. Can't come up with a consistent recipe.
                    >
                    > But if unsharp seems to be working, keep doing it. 500% is a huge
                    > movement though, isn't it? I'm a bit too cautious perhaps. Maybe I
                    > just don't trust in this stuff enough.

                    > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    > • Encountering problems? contact:
                    > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    > • To unsubscribe:

                    Hey Gerry, (or should I say, Gerald?)

                    It's been fascinating reading e-mails from this group, although the
                    polymer plate discussions are way over my leaded head. You've become the
                    guru for this stuff, and impressively knowledgeable.

                    One quick piece of business. I am a member of the APHA board of
                    directors and at our last meeting I agreed to contact you about your lapsed
                    membership. Since you were the individual who encouraged me to join APHA a
                    number of years ago, I want to encourage you to renew your membership. Lots
                    of good things are happening, and we need all the support we can muster. Do
                    it.

                    I suspect I'll see you next at Oak Knoll. Have a productive few last
                    gasp of summer, and early fall.

                    Cheers, Mike
                  • Erik Desmyter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
                      > As you say there is a bit more art than science but the usual is: Amount
                      500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about 5. set the amount at 500
                      and then play with the radius, at some point you will quickly see you will
                      get the optimal result.

                      If you go to our PPletterpress website
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress/ and go for "Files" (at the left
                      side) and then under "How to" you will see 6 small files I have created as
                      an example. What I have done is I first made in Adobe photoshop a letter R
                      in Times New Roman at 12 points (R created in photoshop 2400ppi.TIF). This
                      file was then printed with a standard HP laserprinter 5L at 600dpi and this
                      printed document was then scanned at 600ppi, 1200ppi, 2400ppi in line art
                      and also 600ppi in grayscales.

                      I have also tried the above unsharp masking correction (500%, radius, 1.2
                      pixels, 5 threshold) on the grayscale scan (R scan grayscales 600ppi +
                      unsharp masking.PDF).

                      The goal should be to get back (after the scanning and the clean up) as
                      close as possible to the original creation. The printing with a laser
                      printer at 600dpi is losing a lot of quality but I think real letterpress
                      printing will have more quality loss with more ink spread, etc...

                      Please feel free to use one of the 4 scans and try to do some processing or
                      correction to get to a good result as close as possible to the original.

                      Erik
                    • Mark Attwood
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
                        Hi Gerald,

                        As you say there is a bit more art than science but the usual is: Amount
                        500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about 5. set the amount at 500
                        and then play with the radius, at some point you will quickly see you will
                        get the optimal result. I don't know if this is the best way, just what I
                        have discovered is best for me. I would appreciate any feedback from others
                        in this regard.

                        Mark Attwood

                        The Artists' Press
                        Box 623
                        Newtown
                        2113
                        South Africa

                        Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                        fax. +27 11 836 6858
                        mark@...

                        ----------

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
                          Hi Gerald,

                          As you say there is a bit more art than science
                          but the usual is: Amount
                          500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about
                          5. set the amount at 500
                          and then play with the radius, at some point you
                          will quickly see you will
                          get the optimal result. I don't know if this is
                          the best way, just what I
                          have discovered is best for me. I would
                          appreciate any feedback from others
                          in this regard.

                          Mark Attwood

                          The Artists' Press
                          Box 623
                          Newtown
                          2113
                          South Africa

                          Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                          fax. +27 11 836 6858
                          mark@...

                          Dear Mark

                          Thought I'd test this out with a something I would have found quite difficult.
                          I downloaded an image of one of Tycho's Brahe's astronomical instruments,
                          printed in the 16th century. This was a very colorful JPEG at 300 dpi. I
                          opened it in Photoshop, re-sampled to 600 dpi and converted it to a grayscale.
                          I ran your formula twice and converted the file to b/w bitmap while
                          re-sampling to 1200 dpi. I printed it out at 1200 dpi. Fell out of my chair.
                          Absolute clarity and as perfect a conversion of the blacks and whites as I
                          have ever seen. All in about five minutes of time!!!

                          You have found the Holy Grail my son. I get down on my knees to you.

                          All best