Re:Advice on ink coverage

  • Russell Maret
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
      Hi,

      The problem you're having is in fact the opposite of what one would
      normally expect. Rather than the larger surface being light, or the
      smaller surface being heavy, your large surface is fine & the small
      light. This would suggest that you are having one of two problems:

      1) Your rollers are not adjusted properly, meaning that they are too
      high over the 10pt type and probably just right over the 24pt type.

      2) Your plate was over washed & the thinner material has broken in
      the wash out unit.

      To diagnose the problem I would first check to make sure that your
      rollers are the proper height in all four corners of your platen. If
      they are, I would likely assume that the plate is bad. You can check
      this by inking it in a dark ink, direct a light source across the
      surface of the plate & look at it under a loupe.

      Russell Maret
      646-712-1784

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        Another possible explanation may be a difference of pressure on different
        parts of the form. I have not printed with the Model press, but with many small
        table-top platen presses, packing in one part of the form affect pressure
        elsewhere in the form. The reason is that the platen is hinged quite close to
        the form, so as packing is added it will bring the bottom edge of the platen
        closer to the type than the top edge. So to keep the platen parallel to the
        type and the pressure even, the lower bolts have to be loosened as packing is
        added (or the top bolts tightened).

        What I am suggesting is that as you adjusted the packing to get the larger
        type to print correctly, at the same time you were actually reducing the
        pressure on the other type.

        You might be able to check this by examining the back of the sheet - to see
        if all parts of the type form are hitting with the same pressure. If it is
        hitting harder at the edge closest to the hinge, this may be the trouble.

        Of course it could be any of a dozen other factors! -- ink, rollers, plate,
        backing block, paper, etc. Another common cause might be that the rollers are
        hitting the type ok on the large surface of the 24 point type, but actually
        squashing the ink off the surface of the smaller type (leaving weak inking on
        the small type but perhaps a rim of ink around the letters). The solution
        for that would be to raise the rollers, with tape on the tracks, so the rollers
        don't hit the type too hard.

        Or any of the other suggestions may be the answer.
        Multiple possibilities, multiple tricks.
        Best wishes,
        Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications