Advice on ink coverage

  • punkinsonparade
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2007
      Hello - Embarking on my first solo printing project with my new press
      and looking for advice on an ink coverage problem. I have a Model #1
      Improved platen press (5x7.5) and am using Boxcar base with
      photopolymer plates. The piece I'm working on printing has about 24-pt
      type at the top, and something like 10-pt type and a line drawing
      illustration at the bottom. I'm printing on handmade textured paper
      (Fabriano Medioevalis) and I'm having a heck of a time getting a nice
      even ink coverage across the piece. The large type prints fine and the
      small type and illustration print too light and broken, and clearly
      the texture of the paper has something to do with this. I would like
      to avoid switching paper for this project and am trying adjustments to
      makeready and adding ink and still results are not good. Any advice is
      very welcome.
    • Greg S
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2007
        Dampen the paper and let it set for a couple hours in a plastic bag.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2007
          Hi

          This might sound silly but you might try to print the various elements
          separately. That will give you more control over the inking. That
          actually might be less time consuming than fighting with the press and
          ending up with a less than satisfactory job. This is actually how I
          would do it; three runs—the idea is to have control over the press
          rather than having the press have control over you. Presswork is so
          much easier that way.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "punkinsonparade" <gm@...> wrote:

          > Hello - Embarking on my first solo printing project with my new press
          > and looking for advice on an ink coverage problem. I have a Model #1
          > Improved platen press (5x7.5) and am using Boxcar base with
          > photopolymer plates. The piece I'm working on printing has about 24-pt
          > type at the top, and something like 10-pt type and a line drawing
          > illustration at the bottom. I'm printing on handmade textured paper
          > (Fabriano Medioevalis) and I'm having a heck of a time getting a nice
          > even ink coverage across the piece. The large type prints fine and the
          > small type and illustration print too light and broken, and clearly
          > the texture of the paper has something to do with this. I would like
          > to avoid switching paper for this project and am trying adjustments to
          > makeready and adding ink and still results are not good. Any advice is
          > very welcome.

        • Jessica Peterson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2007
            I agree, you have to do 3 runs, esp. with polymer type. DIfferent
            font sizes require different amounts of ink coverage, make ready, etc.

            On Jun 10, 2007, at 7:51 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > This might sound silly but you might try to print the various elements
            > separately. That will give you more control over the inking. That
            > actually might be less time consuming than fighting with the press and
            > ending up with a less than satisfactory job. This is actually how I
            > would do it; three runs�the idea is to have control over the press
            > rather than having the press have control over you. Presswork is so
            > much easier that way.
            >
            > Gerald
            > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "punkinsonparade" <gm@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello - Embarking on my first solo printing project with my new
            > press
            > > and looking for advice on an ink coverage problem. I have a Model #1
            > > Improved platen press (5x7.5) and am using Boxcar base with
            > > photopolymer plates. The piece I'm working on printing has about
            > 24-pt
            > > type at the top, and something like 10-pt type and a line drawing
            > > illustration at the bottom. I'm printing on handmade textured paper
            > > (Fabriano Medioevalis) and I'm having a heck of a time getting a
            > nice
            > > even ink coverage across the piece. The large type prints fine
            > and the
            > > small type and illustration print too light and broken, and clearly
            > > the texture of the paper has something to do with this. I would like
            > > to avoid switching paper for this project and am trying
            > adjustments to
            > > makeready and adding ink and still results are not good. Any
            > advice is
            > > very welcome.

          • Russell Maret
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
              Hi,

              The problem you're having is in fact the opposite of what one would
              normally expect. Rather than the larger surface being light, or the
              smaller surface being heavy, your large surface is fine & the small
              light. This would suggest that you are having one of two problems:

              1) Your rollers are not adjusted properly, meaning that they are too
              high over the 10pt type and probably just right over the 24pt type.

              2) Your plate was over washed & the thinner material has broken in
              the wash out unit.

              To diagnose the problem I would first check to make sure that your
              rollers are the proper height in all four corners of your platen. If
              they are, I would likely assume that the plate is bad. You can check
              this by inking it in a dark ink, direct a light source across the
              surface of the plate & look at it under a loupe.

              Russell Maret
              646-712-1784

            • typetom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
                Another possible explanation may be a difference of pressure on different
                parts of the form. I have not printed with the Model press, but with many small
                table-top platen presses, packing in one part of the form affect pressure
                elsewhere in the form. The reason is that the platen is hinged quite close to
                the form, so as packing is added it will bring the bottom edge of the platen
                closer to the type than the top edge. So to keep the platen parallel to the
                type and the pressure even, the lower bolts have to be loosened as packing is
                added (or the top bolts tightened).

                What I am suggesting is that as you adjusted the packing to get the larger
                type to print correctly, at the same time you were actually reducing the
                pressure on the other type.

                You might be able to check this by examining the back of the sheet - to see
                if all parts of the type form are hitting with the same pressure. If it is
                hitting harder at the edge closest to the hinge, this may be the trouble.

                Of course it could be any of a dozen other factors! -- ink, rollers, plate,
                backing block, paper, etc. Another common cause might be that the rollers are
                hitting the type ok on the large surface of the 24 point type, but actually
                squashing the ink off the surface of the smaller type (leaving weak inking on
                the small type but perhaps a rim of ink around the letters). The solution
                for that would be to raise the rollers, with tape on the tracks, so the rollers
                don't hit the type too hard.

                Or any of the other suggestions may be the answer.
                Multiple possibilities, multiple tricks.
                Best wishes,
                Tom

                Tom Parson
                Now It's Up To You Publications