Re: The Vandercook Market

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5 8:04 AM
      Even the Chinese don't do things for free. The initial start up
      costs, like pattern making for cylinders, handles and a couple of
      other parts has to be considered along with the machining and
      assembly. We have some critical patterns in our ownership, like the
      worm for the ink distributor roller and the crescent, and the only
      other pattern lying about is the bed pattern for the SP-15. It could
      be done, but I think $2500 is a nice dream at best. The press to
      build would be the Universal I as being a superior press to the SP-
      15.

      Fritz

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

      > Listers:
      >
      > With the Vandercook market pretty much out of control right now,
      and with
      > many new, younger folks entering the "letterpress world" the
      shortage of these
      > machines will only get worse, and therefore the prices will
      continue to rise.

      > Is there now a sufficient market to go overseas and have
      a "Vandercook 21st
      > Century" manufactured. Most of the original machine drawings still
      exists.
      > Quality from "over there" is top notch, and metallurgy has
      improved over the
      > past 20 years. Imported machine tools are now as good (or better)
      than anything

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5 8:17 AM
        At 3:04 PM +0000 5 06 07, nagraph1 wrote:
        >... The press to
        >build would be the Universal I as being a superior press to the SP-
        >15.
        >
        >Fritz

        Fritz

        Interesting that you say this... say more, if you would!

        I've got a Uni I, and always had the impression that I had the poor cousin compared to the shiny SP-15s everyone was lusting after ;-)

        Ciao
        Peter

        Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

        Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
        Philosophy Fonts Lettering
      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5 8:39 AM
          Actually, I was wondering if you knew what model sold for $8000.
          --Jessica

        • speedgray@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5 8:46 AM
            Fritz:

            I picked $2500 out of thin air. It's probably low. But, we'll never know
            until we ask, will we.

            Hey, you're the keeper of the Vandercook name; how about getting into this.
            If there are up-front investments required, solicit some support from the
            list. Let some of us invest for a "piece of the action."

            Speed

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6 1:24 AM
              Jessica

              One of the 15s with a hyphen after the 15 followed by a couple of
              numbers. I deleted the email and can't recall exactly. The $8,000 is
              the asking price. From what I was told it is cleaned up and ready for
              sale. That's all I know about it and all I want to.

              > Actually, I was wondering if you knew what model sold for $8000.
              > --Jessica
              >
              > > From: "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
              > > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 04:35:09 -0000
              > > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: The Vandercook Market
              > >
              > > Jessica
              > >
              > > That's up to us. They don't know about it yet. But they are our last
              > > best hope.
              > >
              > > Gerald
              > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
              > >

              > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Spring <springtide@>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> what model??

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Paul Moxon
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6 8:14 AM
                Probably a 15-21. The link between the 4 and the Uni I. An adjustable bed is standard

                I recall not long ago hearing about a pair of No.4s supposedly never used and in original
                crates for the asking price of $8,500. There was an SP20 on Briar Press about a year ago
                offered for $12,000. Now that's over-valued!

                Friends and listers, I am still seeking help in compiling a vandercook census <http://
                vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/census/> To date, I have listed 769 presses, albeit
                some of this data is incomplete. I write to many owners/caretakers individually with mixed
                success. I have gotten help from several folks (Alex Brooks, Terry Chouinard, Duncan
                Dempster, Eric Holub, Nicholas Kennedy, Daniel Morris, Michael Russem, Dave Seat, Hal
                Sterne, Bernie Vinzani, and Bill Whitley.

                Still, there are quite a few people I have yet to contact and I'm certain that there many
                more unknown to me. The census wont stabilize prices, but I do think that it contributes
                to the collective knowledge for maintaining the ones in use. (OK, the census does include
                a couple of lawn ornaments.)

                See also my other fledgling censuses for Asbern, Challenge, FAG, Reprex, et al.

                Thanks, Paul (vanderdork)

              • lemontreepress@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6 11:44 AM
                  In a message dated 6/6/2007 8:16:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  moxon@... writes:

                  there are quite a few people I have yet to contact

                  Hi Paul..I just looked at the census and I see I am listed BUT neither I nor
                  my press are located in Santa Cruz. I'd LOVE to be located in Santa Cruz but
                  we (me and my Universal 1 ) are in Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego. I'll send
                  you the other info off-line.
                  Best wishes,
                  Nancy Bloch