Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: The Vandercook Market

  • speedgray@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
      Listers:

      With the Vandercook market pretty much out of control right now, and with
      many new, younger folks entering the "letterpress world" the shortage of these
      machines will only get worse, and therefore the prices will continue to rise.

      Is there now a sufficient market to go overseas and have a "Vandercook 21st
      Century" manufactured. Most of the original machine drawings still exists.
      Quality from "over there" is top notch, and metallurgy has improved over the
      past 20 years. Imported machine tools are now as good (or better) than anything
      manufactured in the US.

      So, wouldn't having a simple machine like a Vandercook proof press made
      overseas seem a reasonable solution to the shortage problem?

      Why doesn't some letterpress entrepreneur step forward, grab the bull by the
      horns, and start the ball rolling. At least do a cost/benefit analysis. Have
      it made for $2500 over there, sell it here for $5000, double your money.
      Seems like a good business plan to me!

      Speed Gray
      Letterpress Green Sheet
      Ada, MI

    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
        Even the Chinese don't do things for free. The initial start up
        costs, like pattern making for cylinders, handles and a couple of
        other parts has to be considered along with the machining and
        assembly. We have some critical patterns in our ownership, like the
        worm for the ink distributor roller and the crescent, and the only
        other pattern lying about is the bed pattern for the SP-15. It could
        be done, but I think $2500 is a nice dream at best. The press to
        build would be the Universal I as being a superior press to the SP-
        15.

        Fritz

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
          At 3:04 PM +0000 5 06 07, nagraph1 wrote:
          >... The press to
          >build would be the Universal I as being a superior press to the SP-
          >15.
          >
          >Fritz

          Fritz

          Interesting that you say this... say more, if you would!

          I've got a Uni I, and always had the impression that I had the poor cousin compared to the shiny SP-15s everyone was lusting after ;-)

          Ciao
          Peter

          Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

          Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
          Philosophy Fonts Lettering
        • Jessica Spring
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
            Actually, I was wondering if you knew what model sold for $8000.
            --Jessica

          • speedgray@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
              Fritz:

              I picked $2500 out of thin air. It's probably low. But, we'll never know
              until we ask, will we.

              Hey, you're the keeper of the Vandercook name; how about getting into this.
              If there are up-front investments required, solicit some support from the
              list. Let some of us invest for a "piece of the action."

              Speed

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
                Jessica

                One of the 15s with a hyphen after the 15 followed by a couple of
                numbers. I deleted the email and can't recall exactly. The $8,000 is
                the asking price. From what I was told it is cleaned up and ready for
                sale. That's all I know about it and all I want to.

                > Actually, I was wondering if you knew what model sold for $8000.
                > --Jessica
                >
                > > From: "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
                > > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 04:35:09 -0000
                > > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: The Vandercook Market
                > >
                > > Jessica
                > >
                > > That's up to us. They don't know about it yet. But they are our last
                > > best hope.
                > >
                > > Gerald
                > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                > >

                > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Spring <springtide@>
                > > wrote:
                > >>
                > >> what model??

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Paul Moxon
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
                  Probably a 15-21. The link between the 4 and the Uni I. An adjustable bed is standard

                  I recall not long ago hearing about a pair of No.4s supposedly never used and in original
                  crates for the asking price of $8,500. There was an SP20 on Briar Press about a year ago
                  offered for $12,000. Now that's over-valued!

                  Friends and listers, I am still seeking help in compiling a vandercook census <http://
                  vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/census/> To date, I have listed 769 presses, albeit
                  some of this data is incomplete. I write to many owners/caretakers individually with mixed
                  success. I have gotten help from several folks (Alex Brooks, Terry Chouinard, Duncan
                  Dempster, Eric Holub, Nicholas Kennedy, Daniel Morris, Michael Russem, Dave Seat, Hal
                  Sterne, Bernie Vinzani, and Bill Whitley.

                  Still, there are quite a few people I have yet to contact and I'm certain that there many
                  more unknown to me. The census wont stabilize prices, but I do think that it contributes
                  to the collective knowledge for maintaining the ones in use. (OK, the census does include
                  a couple of lawn ornaments.)

                  See also my other fledgling censuses for Asbern, Challenge, FAG, Reprex, et al.

                  Thanks, Paul (vanderdork)

                • lemontreepress@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
                    In a message dated 6/6/2007 8:16:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    moxon@... writes:

                    there are quite a few people I have yet to contact

                    Hi Paul..I just looked at the census and I see I am listed BUT neither I nor
                    my press are located in Santa Cruz. I'd LOVE to be located in Santa Cruz but
                    we (me and my Universal 1 ) are in Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego. I'll send
                    you the other info off-line.
                    Best wishes,
                    Nancy Bloch