The Vandercook Market

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
      After two inquiries about Vandercooks today I am now telling folks to
      go to

      http://www.takachpress.com/

      and plead, tell them the market for a letterpress flatbed cylinder is
      in place, and is exploding. That the pricing is almost there. Build
      the press now.

      One informant told me that the pricing has hit a new high. $8,000.
      Offered not even in the door yet from the Printing Museum.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
        Jessica

        That's up to us. They don't know about it yet. But they are our last
        best hope.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Spring <springtide@...>
        wrote:

        > what model??
        >
        > > From: "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
        > > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 04:23:55 -0000
        > > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] The Vandercook Market
        > >
        > > After two inquiries about Vandercooks today I am now telling folks to
        > > go to
        > >
        > > http://www.takachpress.com/
        > >
        > > and plead, tell them the market for a letterpress flatbed cylinder is
        > > in place, and is exploding. That the pricing is almost there. Build
        > > the press now.
        > >
        > > One informant told me that the pricing has hit a new high. $8,000.
        > > Offered not even in the door yet from the Printing Museum.
        > >
        > > Gerald
        > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
          what model??

        • speedgray@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
            Listers:

            With the Vandercook market pretty much out of control right now, and with
            many new, younger folks entering the "letterpress world" the shortage of these
            machines will only get worse, and therefore the prices will continue to rise.

            Is there now a sufficient market to go overseas and have a "Vandercook 21st
            Century" manufactured. Most of the original machine drawings still exists.
            Quality from "over there" is top notch, and metallurgy has improved over the
            past 20 years. Imported machine tools are now as good (or better) than anything
            manufactured in the US.

            So, wouldn't having a simple machine like a Vandercook proof press made
            overseas seem a reasonable solution to the shortage problem?

            Why doesn't some letterpress entrepreneur step forward, grab the bull by the
            horns, and start the ball rolling. At least do a cost/benefit analysis. Have
            it made for $2500 over there, sell it here for $5000, double your money.
            Seems like a good business plan to me!

            Speed Gray
            Letterpress Green Sheet
            Ada, MI

          • nagraph1
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
              Even the Chinese don't do things for free. The initial start up
              costs, like pattern making for cylinders, handles and a couple of
              other parts has to be considered along with the machining and
              assembly. We have some critical patterns in our ownership, like the
              worm for the ink distributor roller and the crescent, and the only
              other pattern lying about is the bed pattern for the SP-15. It could
              be done, but I think $2500 is a nice dream at best. The press to
              build would be the Universal I as being a superior press to the SP-
              15.

              Fritz

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                At 3:04 PM +0000 5 06 07, nagraph1 wrote:
                >... The press to
                >build would be the Universal I as being a superior press to the SP-
                >15.
                >
                >Fritz

                Fritz

                Interesting that you say this... say more, if you would!

                I've got a Uni I, and always had the impression that I had the poor cousin compared to the shiny SP-15s everyone was lusting after ;-)

                Ciao
                Peter

                Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

                Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
                Philosophy Fonts Lettering
              • Jessica Spring
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                  Actually, I was wondering if you knew what model sold for $8000.
                  --Jessica

                • speedgray@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Fritz:

                    I picked $2500 out of thin air. It's probably low. But, we'll never know
                    until we ask, will we.

                    Hey, you're the keeper of the Vandercook name; how about getting into this.
                    If there are up-front investments required, solicit some support from the
                    list. Let some of us invest for a "piece of the action."

                    Speed

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
                      Jessica

                      One of the 15s with a hyphen after the 15 followed by a couple of
                      numbers. I deleted the email and can't recall exactly. The $8,000 is
                      the asking price. From what I was told it is cleaned up and ready for
                      sale. That's all I know about it and all I want to.

                      > Actually, I was wondering if you knew what model sold for $8000.
                      > --Jessica
                      >
                      > > From: "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
                      > > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 04:35:09 -0000
                      > > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: The Vandercook Market
                      > >
                      > > Jessica
                      > >
                      > > That's up to us. They don't know about it yet. But they are our last
                      > > best hope.
                      > >
                      > > Gerald
                      > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                      > >

                      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Spring <springtide@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> what model??

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Paul Moxon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
                        Probably a 15-21. The link between the 4 and the Uni I. An adjustable bed is standard

                        I recall not long ago hearing about a pair of No.4s supposedly never used and in original
                        crates for the asking price of $8,500. There was an SP20 on Briar Press about a year ago
                        offered for $12,000. Now that's over-valued!

                        Friends and listers, I am still seeking help in compiling a vandercook census <http://
                        vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/census/> To date, I have listed 769 presses, albeit
                        some of this data is incomplete. I write to many owners/caretakers individually with mixed
                        success. I have gotten help from several folks (Alex Brooks, Terry Chouinard, Duncan
                        Dempster, Eric Holub, Nicholas Kennedy, Daniel Morris, Michael Russem, Dave Seat, Hal
                        Sterne, Bernie Vinzani, and Bill Whitley.

                        Still, there are quite a few people I have yet to contact and I'm certain that there many
                        more unknown to me. The census wont stabilize prices, but I do think that it contributes
                        to the collective knowledge for maintaining the ones in use. (OK, the census does include
                        a couple of lawn ornaments.)

                        See also my other fledgling censuses for Asbern, Challenge, FAG, Reprex, et al.

                        Thanks, Paul (vanderdork)

                      • lemontreepress@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
                          In a message dated 6/6/2007 8:16:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                          moxon@... writes:

                          there are quite a few people I have yet to contact

                          Hi Paul..I just looked at the census and I see I am listed BUT neither I nor
                          my press are located in Santa Cruz. I'd LOVE to be located in Santa Cruz but
                          we (me and my Universal 1 ) are in Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego. I'll send
                          you the other info off-line.
                          Best wishes,
                          Nancy Bloch