Re: Digital Punch CNC milling

  • Joe Freedman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2007
      Hi,

      > Thus these were always a bit rounded and required hand finishing.
      > That probably would not do for
      > your project. CNC would not have a problem with this, nor would
      > have had

      I've been working with a fairly new software program from the U.K.
      that seems like it would be terrific for cutting wood type. I've cut
      36 point Centaur out of side grain maple and its worked out great
      even at this small size. The software is from Vectric.com and is
      called V-Carve. As the title says it uses gravers (either 30 or 60
      degree angles coming to a point) as well as endmills to rough out the
      flat areas. The process of milling is not fast. Twenty-five letters
      takes around 30 minutes to cut and larger letters would take longer.
      Still the quality seems very good so far.

      Plenty of sign shops and cabinet shops have milling machines. Mostly
      they have reasonable hourly rates so output could be affordable.
      Shopbot has a user list where people can post jobs and find shops
      that would be willing to do cutting on outside projects.

      best

      Joe

      ps We have lasers but the laser does a very bad job of roughing out
      the bottom surface. You could use the laser just to cut the letter
      and then use chisels to clean up the bottom but the milling machine
      seems like the way to go.