Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ludlow PLS 150

  • Austin Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2007
      I guess the name Ludlow suggests linecaster. This has the name Ludlow
      Typograph Co. on the rear. It is a Photopolymer Plate Maker. That is why I
      posted the question here. I posted some photos under the album Ludlow PLS
      150

      tks

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ
      Point Pleasant, WV USA
      austin@...
      http://printsbyaj.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2007
        Austin

        This looks like the kind of machine that was used in rubber stamp
        making. Ludlow was manufacturing into the 1980s but I don't know when
        they closed down or where their business archives ended up (assuming
        they might have been saved).

        > I guess the name Ludlow suggests linecaster. This has the name Ludlow
        > Typograph Co. on the rear. It is a Photopolymer Plate Maker. That is
        why I
        > posted the question here. I posted some photos under the album
        Ludlow PLS
        > 150
        >
        > tks
        >
        > Austin Jones
        > prints by AJ
        > Point Pleasant, WV USA
        > austin@...
        > http://printsbyaj.com

      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2007
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have any information on this unit? I have one and would
          like to
          > know what I have and what it is going to take to get it operational.

          I use the same unit, but I don't have any refence materials. It is
          only an exposure unit, no washout or drying. You can expose liquid
          photopolymer using the glass sandwich above the bank of UV tubes, or
          expose sheet photopolymer in the vacuum unit beneath them. There is a
          three-unit digital timer for exposure, with readout in seconds, and
          you just push those tiny buttons to set each number, say 240 for 4
          minutes. There are safety switches connected to the top cover and the
          two drawers that will shut off the lamps if opened so your skin and
          eyes aren't exposed to a very dangerous part of the light spectrum.
          The vacuum drawer has a removable bottom, handy when replacing the
          cover sheet or cleaning it, and needs to be seated correctly against a
          rubber o-ring to get a proper seal for vacuuum drawdown.
          If there is anything wrong with the electrical components you may
          have your work cut out fixing them.
          Eric Holub, SF