[PPLetterpress] Re: Schemata for Vandercook SP 15

  • Susan MAKOV
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2007
      I have a 219AB. Is there a similar gear box for the timing belt, a cover plate? Where? Thanks.
      Susan
      Weber State University

      >>> "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> 05/02/07 11:58 PM >>>
      There are no official Vandercook oiling diagrams for any of the SP
      series presses that I am aware of. You mention the one oil hole you
      found, but didn't tell us where. There is one each side of the
      cylinder where the cylinder casting goes through the side plates,
      and they were originally painted with a red dot of paint. Depending
      on the model of motor and gear reduction attached to it, there are
      oil holes/cups there, but I bet you didn't take the cover plate off.
      The gear box that drives the timing belt for the ink drum needs its
      oil level maintained-- see a square bolt head on the part? That's an
      oil hole. Of course you have to unscrew it, stick something like a
      straw or toothpick down in the gearbox to see the lube level, and if
      it comes up dry, you may have made an important discovery. The ink
      drum in the bed takes no oil-- it turns on oil- less wood bearings.
      Roller ends, even with Nyliners, grease on the worm and crescent,
      graphite grease in the crescent holder, a drop of oil on the ink
      drum shaft opposite the worm end, and any place where two parts move
      against one another, like the cylinder trip mechanism, and that
      magically appears when you take the cover plate off the top of the
      ink drum motor, very light oil on the bearing ways for the cylinder
      bearings, no oil on the bed bearers or gears. No oil on the gears.
      It won't hurt, but it is not specified in any of the Vandercook
      literature or original blueprints. It really is a "simple" press to
      oil.

      Fritz
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2007
        The 219 New Style has a motor that drives a speed reducer through a
        pully, and there is a chain from the speed reducer to the ink drum.
        The speed reducer, X-3398, has an oil level indicator line that has
        an oil plug to the left of the word "oil" and a combination air vent
        and oil filler cap on the side of the unit. There are internal gears
        that require lubrication. This is all under the feed board at the
        end of the press and should be readily accessible. The chain needs
        occasional oiling (and cleaning to get lint and dirt off it), plus a
        ton of other spots on a 219. It looks like the speed reducer was
        made by Vandercook as the X-3393 print is an assembly print, and
        then each part of the pump has an X- number or DR- number associated
        with it. Motor probably has oil filler caps as well.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Susan MAKOV" <smakov@...>