Schemata for Vandercook SP 15

  • Eileen Callahan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007
      Hi,

      I have schemata for the theVandercook SP 15, but not with oil holes
      marked. I went over press with loving kindness, but only found one
      real oil hole. Oiling other obvious parts (gear teeth, underpart of
      press where the metal meets metal, etc). But only one oil hole? This
      MUST be wrong.

      Anyone have a schemata that shows Oil Holes? got other stuff, for
      sure, but not that.
      Alternatively, does anyone have their own information?:

      Thanks,

      eileen
      --

      "Work as though you were in the
      early days of a Better Nation."

      "
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2007
        There are no official Vandercook oiling diagrams for any of the SP
        series presses that I am aware of. You mention the one oil hole you
        found, but didn't tell us where. There is one each side of the
        cylinder where the cylinder casting goes through the side plates,
        and they were originally painted with a red dot of paint. Depending
        on the model of motor and gear reduction attached to it, there are
        oil holes/cups there, but I bet you didn't take the cover plate off.
        The gear box that drives the timing belt for the ink drum needs its
        oil level maintained--see a square bolt head on the part? That's an
        oil hole. Of course you have to unscrew it, stick something like a
        straw or toothpick down in the gearbox to see the lube level, and if
        it comes up dry, you may have made an important discovery. The ink
        drum in the bed takes no oil--it turns on oil-less wood bearings.
        Roller ends, even with Nyliners, grease on the worm and crescent,
        graphite grease in the crescent holder, a drop of oil on the ink
        drum shaft opposite the worm end, and any place where two parts move
        against one another, like the cylinder trip mechanism, and that
        magically appears when you take the cover plate off the top of the
        ink drum motor, very light oil on the bearing ways for the cylinder
        bearings, no oil on the bed bearers or gears. No oil on the gears.
        It won't hurt, but it is not specified in any of the Vandercook
        literature or original blueprints. It really is a "simple" press to
        oil.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Eileen Callahan
        <africaomalley@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have schemata for the theVandercook SP 15, but not with oil
        holes
        > marked. I went over press with loving kindness, but only found one
        > real oil hole. Oiling other obvious parts (gear teeth, underpart
        of
        > press where the metal meets metal, etc). But only one oil hole?
        This
        > MUST be wrong.
        >
        > Anyone have a schemata that shows Oil Holes? got other stuff, for
        > sure, but not that.
        > Alternatively, does anyone have their own information?:
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > eileen
        > --
        >

        > "Work as though you were in the
        > early days of a Better Nation."
        >

        > "

      • Susan MAKOV
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2007
          I have a 219AB. Is there a similar gear box for the timing belt, a cover plate? Where? Thanks.
          Susan
          Weber State University

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2007
            The 219 New Style has a motor that drives a speed reducer through a
            pully, and there is a chain from the speed reducer to the ink drum.
            The speed reducer, X-3398, has an oil level indicator line that has
            an oil plug to the left of the word "oil" and a combination air vent
            and oil filler cap on the side of the unit. There are internal gears
            that require lubrication. This is all under the feed board at the
            end of the press and should be readily accessible. The chain needs
            occasional oiling (and cleaning to get lint and dirt off it), plus a
            ton of other spots on a 219. It looks like the speed reducer was
            made by Vandercook as the X-3393 print is an assembly print, and
            then each part of the pump has an X- number or DR- number associated
            with it. Motor probably has oil filler caps as well.

            Fritz

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Susan MAKOV" <smakov@...>