Re: [PPLetterpress] PPL notice to the membership

  • Bill Denham
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007
      Take Up The Printers Burden. Take up the printer's burden
      It is an awful load,
      And gathers weight the farther
      He travels down the road;
      Bills payable in plenty,
      Subscribers in arrears–
      The troubles that beset him
      Would drive a bust to tears.

      Take up the printer's burden-
      A form knocked into pi,
      The editor arrested
      For publishing a lie;
      A typo full of joint juice,
      The foreman far away,
      Upon some big excursion-
      The devil is to pay.

      Take up the printer's burden–
      At last the paper's out :–
      John Smith's wife had a baby,
      Two rowdies had a bout ;
      Brown's children had the measles,
      Miss Flippy's dog is dead,
      Miss Tattle had a quilting–
      And not a word was said.

      Take up the printer's burden-
      He puffs the old dead town;
      He calls the women beauties,
      And lies just like a clown;
      He lauds the city fathers,
      And prints their pedigrees;
      They pay him back by cutting
      His publication fees.

      Take up the printer's burden-
      Give him a little rest;
      With all his imperfections
      He doubtless does his best;
      About his knavish neighbors
      He tells not half that's true.
      Believing that the devil
      Will sometime get his due. __J. M. Cavaness. Jayhawker Juleps
      J. M. Cavaness
      (Chanute: Tribune Pub. Co. 1913)
      Page 55
      A Google search turned up a different printer poem.

      Bill

      charlessweitzer@... wrote: Gerald
      Hope you can help me.

      I am retired from the printing industry as a compositor, linotype machinist and finally as a maintenance supervisor of a former large printing company.

      Have you ever herd of the poem "The Printer" I remember setting the poem in hand type when I was a student in high school. If my memory serves me right it was in a student manual on printing.

      Ever hear of the poem if so where can I get it.

      Hope to hear from you
      Thanks
      Charles Sweitzer
      From: "Gerald Lange"
      Yahoo will be converting groups to a new format in the near distant
      future. We have been asked if we would like to be a beta test site in
      that regard.

      My experience with beta sites would suggest that this is not a good
      idea. I'd rather take a wait and watch approach.

      This is what Yahoo! claims—

      The new Yahoo! Groups offers:

      - Greater customization for a more vibrant group experience
      - Better communication tools for richer conversations
      - Easier controls for you to moderate more efficiently

      Usually this means the provider is upgrading their software to
      incorporate new or forthcoming technology. Which, quite frankly, I do
      not see as a bad thing. Just don't think it a good idea to suffer
      through the trials and tribulations of it all. If members have their
      own view on this please let us know.

      Yahoo! Groups Links