Re: [PPLetterpress] PPL notice to the membership

  • Michael Andrews
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007
      "more vibrant group experience"
      oh boy, hugs

      as a software engineer of 35 years I have one
      overriding policy.
      Never install a new product until its been out for a
      year, and never never never use a beta of anything,
      ever.

      It just gets exhausting cleaning up after the messes
      that their own Q&A didn't bother to test.

      just one chicken hearted software guy's opinion

      michael
      --- Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

      > Yahoo will be converting groups to a new format in
      > the near distant
      > future. We have been asked if we would like to be a
      > beta test site in
      > that regard.
      >
      > My experience with beta sites would suggest that
      > this is not a good
      > idea. I'd rather take a wait and watch approach.
      >
      > This is what Yahoo! claims—
      >

      > The new Yahoo! Groups offers:
      >
      > - Greater customization for a more vibrant group
      > experience
      > - Better communication tools for richer
      > conversations
      > - Easier controls for you to moderate more
      > efficiently
      >

      > Usually this means the provider is upgrading their
      > software to
      > incorporate new or forthcoming technology. Which,
      > quite frankly, I do
      > not see as a bad thing. Just don't think it a good
      > idea to suffer
      > through the trials and tribulations of it all. If
      > members have their
      > own view on this please let us know.

      > mailto:PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Bill Denham
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2007
        Take Up The Printers Burden. Take up the printer's burden
        It is an awful load,
        And gathers weight the farther
        He travels down the road;
        Bills payable in plenty,
        Subscribers in arrears–
        The troubles that beset him
        Would drive a bust to tears.

        Take up the printer's burden-
        A form knocked into pi,
        The editor arrested
        For publishing a lie;
        A typo full of joint juice,
        The foreman far away,
        Upon some big excursion-
        The devil is to pay.

        Take up the printer's burden–
        At last the paper's out :–
        John Smith's wife had a baby,
        Two rowdies had a bout ;
        Brown's children had the measles,
        Miss Flippy's dog is dead,
        Miss Tattle had a quilting–
        And not a word was said.

        Take up the printer's burden-
        He puffs the old dead town;
        He calls the women beauties,
        And lies just like a clown;
        He lauds the city fathers,
        And prints their pedigrees;
        They pay him back by cutting
        His publication fees.

        Take up the printer's burden-
        Give him a little rest;
        With all his imperfections
        He doubtless does his best;
        About his knavish neighbors
        He tells not half that's true.
        Believing that the devil
        Will sometime get his due. __J. M. Cavaness. Jayhawker Juleps
        J. M. Cavaness
        (Chanute: Tribune Pub. Co. 1913)
        Page 55
        A Google search turned up a different printer poem.

        Bill

        charlessweitzer@... wrote: Gerald
        Hope you can help me.

        I am retired from the printing industry as a compositor, linotype machinist and finally as a maintenance supervisor of a former large printing company.

        Have you ever herd of the poem "The Printer" I remember setting the poem in hand type when I was a student in high school. If my memory serves me right it was in a student manual on printing.

        Ever hear of the poem if so where can I get it.

        Hope to hear from you
        Thanks
        Charles Sweitzer