Re: [PPLetterpress] PPL notice to the membership

  • charlessweitzer@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2 2:55 AM
      Gerald
      Hope you can help me.

      I am retired from the printing industry as a compositor, linotype machinist and finally as a maintenance supervisor of a former large printing company.

      Have you ever herd of the poem "The Printer" I remember setting the poem in hand type when I was a student in high school. If my memory serves me right it was in a student manual on printing.

      Ever hear of the poem if so where can I get it.

      Hope to hear from you
      Thanks
      Charles Sweitzer
      From: "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
      Yahoo will be converting groups to a new format in the near distant
      future. We have been asked if we would like to be a beta test site in
      that regard.

      My experience with beta sites would suggest that this is not a good
      idea. I'd rather take a wait and watch approach.

      This is what Yahoo! claims�

      The new Yahoo! Groups offers:

      - Greater customization for a more vibrant group experience
      - Better communication tools for richer conversations
      - Easier controls for you to moderate more efficiently

      Usually this means the provider is upgrading their software to
      incorporate new or forthcoming technology. Which, quite frankly, I do
      not see as a bad thing. Just don't think it a good idea to suffer
      through the trials and tribulations of it all. If members have their
      own view on this please let us know.

    • Michael Andrews
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2 7:08 AM
        "more vibrant group experience"
        oh boy, hugs

        as a software engineer of 35 years I have one
        overriding policy.
        Never install a new product until its been out for a
        year, and never never never use a beta of anything,
        ever.

        It just gets exhausting cleaning up after the messes
        that their own Q&A didn't bother to test.

        just one chicken hearted software guy's opinion

        michael
        --- Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

        > Yahoo will be converting groups to a new format in
        > the near distant
        > future. We have been asked if we would like to be a
        > beta test site in
        > that regard.
        >
        > My experience with beta sites would suggest that
        > this is not a good
        > idea. I'd rather take a wait and watch approach.
        >
        > This is what Yahoo! claims—
        >

        > The new Yahoo! Groups offers:
        >
        > - Greater customization for a more vibrant group
        > experience
        > - Better communication tools for richer
        > conversations
        > - Easier controls for you to moderate more
        > efficiently
        >

        > Usually this means the provider is upgrading their
        > software to
        > incorporate new or forthcoming technology. Which,
        > quite frankly, I do
        > not see as a bad thing. Just don't think it a good
        > idea to suffer
        > through the trials and tribulations of it all. If
        > members have their
        > own view on this please let us know.

        > mailto:PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bill Denham
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2 7:59 AM
          Take Up The Printers Burden. Take up the printer's burden
          It is an awful load,
          And gathers weight the farther
          He travels down the road;
          Bills payable in plenty,
          Subscribers in arrears–
          The troubles that beset him
          Would drive a bust to tears.

          Take up the printer's burden-
          A form knocked into pi,
          The editor arrested
          For publishing a lie;
          A typo full of joint juice,
          The foreman far away,
          Upon some big excursion-
          The devil is to pay.

          Take up the printer's burden–
          At last the paper's out :–
          John Smith's wife had a baby,
          Two rowdies had a bout ;
          Brown's children had the measles,
          Miss Flippy's dog is dead,
          Miss Tattle had a quilting–
          And not a word was said.

          Take up the printer's burden-
          He puffs the old dead town;
          He calls the women beauties,
          And lies just like a clown;
          He lauds the city fathers,
          And prints their pedigrees;
          They pay him back by cutting
          His publication fees.

          Take up the printer's burden-
          Give him a little rest;
          With all his imperfections
          He doubtless does his best;
          About his knavish neighbors
          He tells not half that's true.
          Believing that the devil
          Will sometime get his due. __J. M. Cavaness. Jayhawker Juleps
          J. M. Cavaness
          (Chanute: Tribune Pub. Co. 1913)
          Page 55
          A Google search turned up a different printer poem.

          Bill

          charlessweitzer@... wrote: Gerald