PPL notice to the membership

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      Yahoo will be converting groups to a new format in the near distant
      future. We have been asked if we would like to be a beta test site in
      that regard.

      My experience with beta sites would suggest that this is not a good
      idea. I'd rather take a wait and watch approach.

      This is what Yahoo! claims—

      The new Yahoo! Groups offers:

      - Greater customization for a more vibrant group experience
      - Better communication tools for richer conversations
      - Easier controls for you to moderate more efficiently

      Usually this means the provider is upgrading their software to
      incorporate new or forthcoming technology. Which, quite frankly, I do
      not see as a bad thing. Just don't think it a good idea to suffer
      through the trials and tribulations of it all. If members have their
      own view on this please let us know.

      Gerald
    • charlessweitzer@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2007
        Hope you can help me.

        I am retired from the printing industry as a compositor, linotype machinist and finally as a maintenance supervisor of a former large printing company.

        Have you ever herd of the poem "The Printer" I remember setting the poem in hand type when I was a student in high school. If my memory serves me right it was in a student manual on printing.

        Ever hear of the poem if so where can I get it.

        Hope to hear from you
        Thanks
        Charles Sweitzer

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2007
          "more vibrant group experience"
          oh boy, hugs

          as a software engineer of 35 years I have one
          overriding policy.
          Never install a new product until its been out for a
          year, and never never never use a beta of anything,
          ever.

          It just gets exhausting cleaning up after the messes
          that their own Q&A didn't bother to test.

          just one chicken hearted software guy's opinion

          michael
          --- Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

          > Yahoo will be converting groups to a new format in
          > the near distant
          > future. We have been asked if we would like to be a
          > beta test site in
          > that regard.
          >
          > My experience with beta sites would suggest that
          > this is not a good
          > idea. I'd rather take a wait and watch approach.
          >
          > This is what Yahoo! claims—
          >

          > The new Yahoo! Groups offers:
          >
          > - Greater customization for a more vibrant group
          > experience
          > - Better communication tools for richer
          > conversations
          > - Easier controls for you to moderate more
          > efficiently
          >

          > Usually this means the provider is upgrading their
          > software to
          > incorporate new or forthcoming technology. Which,
          > quite frankly, I do
          > not see as a bad thing. Just don't think it a good
          > idea to suffer
          > through the trials and tribulations of it all. If
          > members have their
          > own view on this please let us know.

          > mailto:PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bill Denham
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2007
            Take Up The Printers Burden. Take up the printer's burden
            It is an awful load,
            And gathers weight the farther
            He travels down the road;
            Bills payable in plenty,
            Subscribers in arrears–
            The troubles that beset him
            Would drive a bust to tears.

            Take up the printer's burden-
            A form knocked into pi,
            The editor arrested
            For publishing a lie;
            A typo full of joint juice,
            The foreman far away,
            Upon some big excursion-
            The devil is to pay.

            Take up the printer's burden–
            At last the paper's out :–
            John Smith's wife had a baby,
            Two rowdies had a bout ;
            Brown's children had the measles,
            Miss Flippy's dog is dead,
            Miss Tattle had a quilting–
            And not a word was said.

            Take up the printer's burden-
            He puffs the old dead town;
            He calls the women beauties,
            And lies just like a clown;
            He lauds the city fathers,
            And prints their pedigrees;
            They pay him back by cutting
            His publication fees.

            Take up the printer's burden-
            Give him a little rest;
            With all his imperfections
            He doubtless does his best;
            About his knavish neighbors
            He tells not half that's true.
            Believing that the devil
            Will sometime get his due. __J. M. Cavaness. Jayhawker Juleps
            J. M. Cavaness
            (Chanute: Tribune Pub. Co. 1913)
            Page 55
            A Google search turned up a different printer poem.

            Bill

            charlessweitzer@... wrote: Gerald