Re: Washout brush not flat

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 8:39 AM
      Jim,

      The screw heads are 3/8 of an inch wide. The depth of the threaded
      screw is about that measure as well (for the outside screws). Maybe
      half an inch for the center screws. If the outside screws penetrate
      beyond the bottom of the frame they will act as adjusters to the
      brush. You don't want that, so you may have to file them short or back
      them off a bit until they are even or just shy of penetrating through
      the frame.

      > Jim
      >
      > That is likely a stock replacement brush. They don't come with the
      holes
      > drilled. Follow the pattern of the frame for drilling but do not drill
      > through the frame as those holes are threaded. The holes drilled into
      > the brush should be larger than the frame holes to allow for
      adjustment.
      > Replacement screws should have a wide head. Drill the brush from the
      > bristle-less side. You will likely have to drill through some tufts
      when
      > you made the center holes but that is okay.
      >
      > Clean the frame well as there is quite likely a lot of photopolymer
      > adhered to it. And those screw holes are probably closed by now.
      > Muriatic acid will clean it up real quick. Just be careful with that
      > stuff. The fumes alone will ghost the plastic coating of your glasses.
      > Lysol spray will also soften hardened photopolymer and allow you to
      > scrap it away with a rag.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >

      > > Upon closer inspection I must have a third party brush - it has no
      > > holes for screws, and I now see that the stainless frame it sits in
      > > has six screw holes, four at the corners plus two in the centers of
      > > the long sides. So, a little drilling and hardware may well force it
      > > flat to solve the problem. The base is medium gray, 3/8 thick with
      > > black bristles for what it's worth. Thanks!
      > >
      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Jim
      > >>
      > >> This is some kind of extreme distortion. Hard to imagine this as
      those
      > >> brush bases are made of a fairly thick plastic. I've an A2 and the
      > >> bases are quite flat and look like they are milled. Is the brush base
      > >> a stock A&V item or gotten from a third party?
      > >>
      > >> I'm wondering if the base framework is sprung somehow? Or is the base
      > >> missing its center screw hold downs?
      > >>
      > >> I guess I'd remove the framework to see if there is some kind of shim
      > >> in there, though the frame threads aren't enough to permit more
      than a
      > >> 1/32 of an inch shim. There should be an expander shim but it would
      > >> not amount to much more than 1-pt in thickness.
      > >>
      > >> I think a possible solution would be to make all the outer screw
      holes
      > >> in the base into slots, allowing for some movement. Tighten down from
      > >> the center outward. And see if that straightens it out.
      > >>
      > >> Not sure the oven thing is such a good idea. Might hurt the brushes
      > >> themselves or weirdly warp the base.
      > >>
      > >> Gerald
      > >> http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

    • wolfsburg1971
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 3:19 PM
        After a visit to the stainless steel section of the local hardware
        store and some drilling, my platemaker now has a flat brush. Thanks
        for the help everybody!