RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Washout brush not flat

  • Michael T. Metz
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      Gerald,

      I would guess that the heating element in the tank caused
      the distortion. Don't know how I would know this...

      Mike

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Upon closer inspection I must have a third party brush - it has no
        holes for screws, and I now see that the stainless frame it sits in
        has six screw holes, four at the corners plus two in the centers of
        the long sides. So, a little drilling and hardware may well force it
        flat to solve the problem. The base is medium gray, 3/8 thick with
        black bristles for what it's worth. Thanks!

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          Make sure you use solid stainless steel fasteners...
          Mike

          _____

          --- In PPLetterpress@ <mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            Jim

            That is likely a stock replacement brush. They don't come with the holes
            drilled. Follow the pattern of the frame for drilling but do not drill
            through the frame as those holes are threaded. The holes drilled into
            the brush should be larger than the frame holes to allow for adjustment.
            Replacement screws should have a wide head. Drill the brush from the
            bristle-less side. You will likely have to drill through some tufts when
            you made the center holes but that is okay.

            Clean the frame well as there is quite likely a lot of photopolymer
            adhered to it. And those screw holes are probably closed by now.
            Muriatic acid will clean it up real quick. Just be careful with that
            stuff. The fumes alone will ghost the plastic coating of your glasses.
            Lysol spray will also soften hardened photopolymer and allow you to
            scrap it away with a rag.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              Jim,

              The screw heads are 3/8 of an inch wide. The depth of the threaded
              screw is about that measure as well (for the outside screws). Maybe
              half an inch for the center screws. If the outside screws penetrate
              beyond the bottom of the frame they will act as adjusters to the
              brush. You don't want that, so you may have to file them short or back
              them off a bit until they are even or just shy of penetrating through
              the frame.

              > Jim
              >
              > That is likely a stock replacement brush. They don't come with the
              holes
              > drilled. Follow the pattern of the frame for drilling but do not drill
              > through the frame as those holes are threaded. The holes drilled into
              > the brush should be larger than the frame holes to allow for
              adjustment.
              > Replacement screws should have a wide head. Drill the brush from the
              > bristle-less side. You will likely have to drill through some tufts
              when
              > you made the center holes but that is okay.
              >
              > Clean the frame well as there is quite likely a lot of photopolymer
              > adhered to it. And those screw holes are probably closed by now.
              > Muriatic acid will clean it up real quick. Just be careful with that
              > stuff. The fumes alone will ghost the plastic coating of your glasses.
              > Lysol spray will also soften hardened photopolymer and allow you to
              > scrap it away with a rag.
              >
              > Gerald
              > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
              >

              > > Upon closer inspection I must have a third party brush - it has no
              > > holes for screws, and I now see that the stainless frame it sits in
              > > has six screw holes, four at the corners plus two in the centers of
              > > the long sides. So, a little drilling and hardware may well force it
              > > flat to solve the problem. The base is medium gray, 3/8 thick with
              > > black bristles for what it's worth. Thanks!
              > >
              > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Jim
              > >>
              > >> This is some kind of extreme distortion. Hard to imagine this as
              those
              > >> brush bases are made of a fairly thick plastic. I've an A2 and the
              > >> bases are quite flat and look like they are milled. Is the brush base
              > >> a stock A&V item or gotten from a third party?
              > >>
              > >> I'm wondering if the base framework is sprung somehow? Or is the base
              > >> missing its center screw hold downs?
              > >>
              > >> I guess I'd remove the framework to see if there is some kind of shim
              > >> in there, though the frame threads aren't enough to permit more
              than a
              > >> 1/32 of an inch shim. There should be an expander shim but it would
              > >> not amount to much more than 1-pt in thickness.
              > >>
              > >> I think a possible solution would be to make all the outer screw
              holes
              > >> in the base into slots, allowing for some movement. Tighten down from
              > >> the center outward. And see if that straightens it out.
              > >>
              > >> Not sure the oven thing is such a good idea. Might hurt the brushes
              > >> themselves or weirdly warp the base.
              > >>
              > >> Gerald
              > >> http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

            • wolfsburg1971
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                After a visit to the stainless steel section of the local hardware
                store and some drilling, my platemaker now has a flat brush. Thanks
                for the help everybody!