Washout brush not flat

  • wolfsburg1971
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hello all,
      I have a used Anderson Vreeland Orbital VIII A4. The brush it came
      with seems pretty decent, except that the base curves upward in the
      center (across the long dimension) around 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Obviously
      for it to contact the plate towards the corners, it's pressing into
      the center far more than ideal. So...
      Any ideas on how to flatten it out, or if it's practically possible?
      Heating it up in a low temp oven and counterbending it maybe? I need
      to limp along with it in the meantime so don't want to destroy it
      while I'm at it. Thanks for any suggestions.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2007
        Jim

        This is some kind of extreme distortion. Hard to imagine this as those
        brush bases are made of a fairly thick plastic. I've an A2 and the
        bases are quite flat and look like they are milled. Is the brush base
        a stock A&V item or gotten from a third party?

        I'm wondering if the base framework is sprung somehow? Or is the base
        missing its center screw hold downs?

        I guess I'd remove the framework to see if there is some kind of shim
        in there, though the frame threads aren't enough to permit more than a
        1/32 of an inch shim. There should be an expander shim but it would
        not amount to much more than 1-pt in thickness.

        I think a possible solution would be to make all the outer screw holes
        in the base into slots, allowing for some movement. Tighten down from
        the center outward. And see if that straightens it out.

        Not sure the oven thing is such a good idea. Might hurt the brushes
        themselves or weirdly warp the base.

        > Hello all,
        > I have a used Anderson Vreeland Orbital VIII A4. The brush it came
        > with seems pretty decent, except that the base curves upward in the
        > center (across the long dimension) around 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Obviously
        > for it to contact the plate towards the corners, it's pressing into
        > the center far more than ideal. So...
        > Any ideas on how to flatten it out, or if it's practically possible?
        > Heating it up in a low temp oven and counterbending it maybe? I need
        > to limp along with it in the meantime so don't want to destroy it
        > while I'm at it. Thanks for any suggestions.

      • Michael T. Metz
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          Gerald,

          I would guess that the heating element in the tank caused
          the distortion. Don't know how I would know this...

          Mike

          _____

[...]

          Gerald
          http://BielerPress. <http://BielerPress.blogspot.com> blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            Upon closer inspection I must have a third party brush - it has no
            holes for screws, and I now see that the stainless frame it sits in
            has six screw holes, four at the corners plus two in the centers of
            the long sides. So, a little drilling and hardware may well force it
            flat to solve the problem. The base is medium gray, 3/8 thick with
            black bristles for what it's worth. Thanks!

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              Make sure you use solid stainless steel fasteners...
              Mike

              _____

              --- In PPLetterpress@ <mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                Jim

                That is likely a stock replacement brush. They don't come with the holes
                drilled. Follow the pattern of the frame for drilling but do not drill
                through the frame as those holes are threaded. The holes drilled into
                the brush should be larger than the frame holes to allow for adjustment.
                Replacement screws should have a wide head. Drill the brush from the
                bristle-less side. You will likely have to drill through some tufts when
                you made the center holes but that is okay.

                Clean the frame well as there is quite likely a lot of photopolymer
                adhered to it. And those screw holes are probably closed by now.
                Muriatic acid will clean it up real quick. Just be careful with that
                stuff. The fumes alone will ghost the plastic coating of your glasses.
                Lysol spray will also soften hardened photopolymer and allow you to
                scrap it away with a rag.

                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                  Jim,

                  The screw heads are 3/8 of an inch wide. The depth of the threaded
                  screw is about that measure as well (for the outside screws). Maybe
                  half an inch for the center screws. If the outside screws penetrate
                  beyond the bottom of the frame they will act as adjusters to the
                  brush. You don't want that, so you may have to file them short or back
                  them off a bit until they are even or just shy of penetrating through
                  the frame.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                    After a visit to the stainless steel section of the local hardware
                    store and some drilling, my platemaker now has a flat brush. Thanks
                    for the help everybody!