Re: [PPLetterpress] Magnesium carbonate...

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
      At 4:55 PM -0400 23 04 07, Raymond Nichols wrote:
      >I believe it was on this list a couple of months ago that there was a
      >discussion about using magnesium carbonate to make ink stiffer.
      >
      >I got some and tried it, but it did not seem to make as much change
      >as I was expecting.
      >
      >I feel that one of the problems I'm having with printing is that I'm
      >getting ooze out from the sides of the type. I cannot get good enough
      >coverage if I use only a small amount of ink but if I get the ink to
      >be solid then I get the ooze problem.

      Sounds like you may need to check the humidity in your paper stock.
      If it's too dry, you'll need more ink for solid coverage.
      Properly damped paper requires very little ink for solid coverage.
      Of course, a small thin type also requires very little ink, even on dry stock.
      What kind of material are you printing?

      ciao
      pf

      Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com