Ludlow PLS 150

  • mcondray
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2002
      Hi Group,
      I'm currently looking at buying a Ludlow PLS 150 polymer plate
      maker. Can anyone advise me about this equipment?

      1. Is it a quality plate maker?

      2. What problems should I look for when inspecting the
      equipment?

      3. What is fair-market value?

      4. Is there a copy of a manual available?

      The lady that is selling the item knows nothing about it; she
      bought it at auction.
      Any info is appreciated.
      thanks,
      Mike Condray
    • Austin Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2007
        Does anyone have any information on this unit? I have one and would like to
        know what I have and what it is going to take to get it operational.

        tks
        Austin Jones
        prints by AJ
        Point Pleasant, WV USA
        austin@...
        http://printsbyaj.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2007
          Austin

          If you don't get your needed info here you might want to try
          IntertypeWorld

          That's where all the linecasters hang out.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have any information on this unit? I have one and would
          like to
          > know what I have and what it is going to take to get it operational.
          >
          > tks
          > Austin Jones
          > prints by AJ
          > Point Pleasant, WV USA
          > austin@...
          > http://printsbyaj.com

        • Austin Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2007
            I guess the name Ludlow suggests linecaster. This has the name Ludlow
            Typograph Co. on the rear. It is a Photopolymer Plate Maker. That is why I
            posted the question here. I posted some photos under the album Ludlow PLS
            150

            tks

            Austin Jones
            prints by AJ
            Point Pleasant, WV USA
            austin@...
            http://printsbyaj.com

            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2007
              Austin

              This looks like the kind of machine that was used in rubber stamp
              making. Ludlow was manufacturing into the 1980s but I don't know when
              they closed down or where their business archives ended up (assuming
              they might have been saved).

              > I guess the name Ludlow suggests linecaster. This has the name Ludlow
              > Typograph Co. on the rear. It is a Photopolymer Plate Maker. That is
              why I
              > posted the question here. I posted some photos under the album
              Ludlow PLS
              > 150
              >
              > tks
              >
              > Austin Jones
              > prints by AJ
              > Point Pleasant, WV USA
              > austin@...
              > http://printsbyaj.com

            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2007
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone have any information on this unit? I have one and would
                like to
                > know what I have and what it is going to take to get it operational.

                I use the same unit, but I don't have any refence materials. It is
                only an exposure unit, no washout or drying. You can expose liquid
                photopolymer using the glass sandwich above the bank of UV tubes, or
                expose sheet photopolymer in the vacuum unit beneath them. There is a
                three-unit digital timer for exposure, with readout in seconds, and
                you just push those tiny buttons to set each number, say 240 for 4
                minutes. There are safety switches connected to the top cover and the
                two drawers that will shut off the lamps if opened so your skin and
                eyes aren't exposed to a very dangerous part of the light spectrum.
                The vacuum drawer has a removable bottom, handy when replacing the
                cover sheet or cleaning it, and needs to be seated correctly against a
                rubber o-ring to get a proper seal for vacuuum drawdown.
                If there is anything wrong with the electrical components you may
                have your work cut out fixing them.
                Eric Holub, SF