Re: [PPLetterpress] Processing or making?

  • Austin Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2007
      I find this question rather interesting for several reasons. To me the
      question raises a lot of issues dealing with printmaking and printing as a
      whole.

      First - I am prone to wonder, why the question? What distinction is someone
      trying to make? I think that the issue of something printed from metal type
      as opposed to a plate is more relevant than whether you made a plate or
      processed a plate.

      From the printmaker point of view - platemaking means hand coating the
      resist, etching, watching the etch, touching up the ground, more etching,
      and finally cleaning the plate for printing. To simply "place a plate in a
      machine, push a few buttons, and wait" seems like something is missing. So
      here I go talking about a print being printed by hand inking a form with a
      brayer, and inserting a sheet of paper by hand on the press and pulling the
      devils tail for an impression. I know, who has time for all that? Right?

      I of course am constantly on the soapbox about prints or reproductions. For
      something to be called a print, it must be printed by the artist or at least
      printed under the direct supervision of the artist. A work of art which is
      reproduced by any means by someone other than the artist is a reproduction.
      Also artists who photograph a work of art and reproduce it by various means
      are making reproductions. I feel some of these same distinctions relate to
      the platemaker as opposed to the plate processor.

      I recall a recent issue being raised by someone who was wanting to make a
      point of their computer generated type was printed via a metal plate. I
      think that anyone can make issues of anything. Just be honest in what you
      are saying as well as why. Don't try to make it sound confusing or like
      something it isn't.
      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ
      Point Pleasant, WV USA