hello

  • deirdre_bookbindings
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
      you know I have been lurking for ages, and it's time to say hello
      and ask questions, my name is deirdre, I am a bookbinder, I make
      journals, I bind them in an old style of bookbinding called ledger
      or account bookbinding. Remember them big old books with the marbled
      sides and edges that snap open, thats what I do.
      So why am I hanging out on a letterpress site? I am realy intrested
      in how I can put a design on to cover of a book, what can I do that
      can leave a tooled/embossed design on top of pasted up leather,
      something that I can place on top of a book, put in in a book press,
      apply some force and get a design on to the leather....
      or prehaps somthing that I can put under the leather and mold the
      leather on top of it....
      so I was thinking prehaps what I need, you have.... now that I've
      read this over I am feeling really stupid, so does any one have any
      ideas?

      deirdre thompson
    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2002
        I am realy intrested
        > in how I can put a design on to cover of a book, what can I do that
        > can leave a tooled/embossed design on top of pasted up leather,
        > something that I can place on top of a book, put in in a book press,
        > apply some force and get a design on to the leather....
        > or prehaps somthing that I can put under the leather and mold the
        > leather on top of it....
        > so I was thinking prehaps what I need, you have.... so does any one have any
        > ideas?
        >
        > deirdre thompson

        Hi Deirdre

        I think you are looking for a stamping press as used in hot foil
        stamping (?). These can accomodate certain kinds of metal type or
        engraving dies. Dies are usually produced through the photomechanical
        engraving process but there are several manufacturers now making
        photopolymer plates/dies for this purpose.

        Does this help? Bit outside my area of expertise. Don't know if I'm
        equipped to help you find suppliers.

        Good luck

        Gerald
      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2002
          Deirdre

          After my post I remembered I had left something out. You might want
          to try a similar post at Book_Arts-L

          There are many more bookbinders on that list who might be able to
          help you. The above address should allow you to access the archives
          without being a member (all these lists have a back door) but there
          should also be some information there about signing up.