Linotype casting video

  • Dan Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
      I lost the link to a great video of a man working at a
      linotype machine. ( I think he was at some sort of
      trade show or something.) It was also on youtube but I
      can't find either anymore. Does anyone know the link I
      am referring to Or do you have another on-line
      linotype video I can use for class presentation? Thanks.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Norman L McKnight
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
        I googled "Linotype film" & found the following link:

        www.typeculture.com/academic_resource/movies/

        It has short films on Linotype, Ludlow & Monotype. I
        don't know if this is the one you were looking for or
        not.

        There is also the famous video of the end of line-
        casting at the New York Times provided by Carl Shles-
        inger, but I no longer have the address for it. It is
        a VHS tape.

        Chris Chen showed me a great site for old documentaries,
        the kind we older folk used to be shown in school, & it
        is likely there was something on printing there as well,
        although I can't locate the actual link or name. Chris
        reads this List sometimes, so perhaps he will post the
        link. Lots of industrial stuff.

        Norman McKnight
        Philoxenia Press
        Berkeley
      • Eileen Madden
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
          I think you might mean the Prelinger Archive?

          http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger

          On Apr 13, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Norman L McKnight wrote:

          > I googled "Linotype film" & found the following link:

          > www.typeculture.com/academic_resource/movies/
          >
          > It has short films on Linotype, Ludlow & Monotype. I
          > don't know if this is the one you were looking for or
          > not.
          >
          > There is also the famous video of the end of line-
          > casting at the New York Times provided by Carl Shles-
          > inger, but I no longer have the address for it. It is
          > a VHS tape.
          >
          > Chris Chen showed me a great site for old documentaries,
          > the kind we older folk used to be shown in school, & it
          > is likely there was something on printing there as well,
          > although I can't locate the actual link or name. Chris
          > reads this List sometimes, so perhaps he will post the
          > link. Lots of industrial stuff.
          >
          > Norman McKnight
          > Philoxenia Press
          > Berkeley

        • Jessica Spring
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
            I'd also recommend the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith called
            "Printer's Devil" to see a linotype in action.
            --Jessica

            Jessica Spring
            SPRINGTIDE PRESS
            http://www.springtidepress.com
            253.627.8629

          • Eileen Madden
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
              http://www.archive.org/details/Printing1947

              I should have waited to post before. . . .