Re: [PPLetterpress] Problem with plate outline showing up on deep impression

  • Kayle Simon
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
      Karen,

      Deep magnesium plates might help.

      And, if you are getting not just impressions where you don't want
      them, but ink there
      as well, your rollers are running too close to the plate and you
      could try putting tape on the rails to raise the rollers a bit.

      I'm no expert but when I had a similar problem, those were my
      solutions. Raising the rails was the most important; mine were quite
      worn down, apparently.

      Kayle

      On Jul 9, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Karen Mortenson wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am printing with my C & P 10x15 on 4-ply museum board usuing
      > photopolymer plates. The client wants a very deep impression but
      > when I woud get the impression she wanted, the outline of the plate
      > would make an impression as well. I know this paper is particularly
      > thick and squishy.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > Many thanks!
      >
      > Karen

    • Russell Maret
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2007
        HI Karen,

        I have done a lot of printing on 4-ply museum board and am familiar
        with the problem you are encountering. Assuming you are working for a
        client who is not interested in being educated on the finer points of
        beat fat/beat lean (although it's hard to imagine such a person),
        here are some suggestions:

        1) Remove all the packing from the tympan, pull an impression and see
        if you are still getting a plate impression.

        1a) If you still see the plate without any packing, you will need to
        back off the platen prior to proceeding with the steps below.

        2) If without any packing you are NOT getting a plate impression,
        progressively build up the packing until you start to see the
        impression. Once you do reduce the packing by 2 mil.

        3) Trace an outline of your plate onto a sheet of packing material (I
        usually use 6 mil tympan paper) and cut it out just inside the line
        (ie. the packing should be slightly smaller than your plate so that
        the plate edge does not contact the paper).

        4) Due to possible shift in the packing, I would mount this packing
        directly onto the tympan using either a spray adhesive, or carefully
        positioned dots of pva. You can usually increase the packing within
        the perimeter of the plate by at least 8 mil before you will
        encounter the next problem which will be getting an impression of the
        packing material.

        Good Luck,
        Russell Maret