Re: Problem with plate outline showing up on deep impression

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 11:40 AM
      I'd agree with Peter, but magnesium doesn't have a clean etch on the
      sidewalls of the letters like photopolymer, so zinc would be better,
      and copper would be best. It is easily sourced from Owosso or Metal
      Magic in Phoenix. The best engraving, and avoiding the almost always
      inaccurate wood bases, is to use quarter inch thick dies mounted on
      a base using toggle hooks. Bases are made by Sterling. The same
      files used for photopolymer can be used for traditional
      photoengravings--photopolymer is not the answer for all letterpress
      printing situations.

      I would disagree with Peter on steel die engraving work, like on
      business cards and letterheads, that the plate or die mark is never
      seen unless done by an inexperienced press operator. Plate marks are
      seen on etchings and the like, but not on commercial engraving.

      Fritz

      >> Why not just all it what it is ;-)!
      > Client education is always appropriate!
      >
      > In traditional engravings, there's always a plate-mark, since the
      paper and plate are run through the rollers together.

      > Otherwise, you may need a deep-engraved mag plate instead of PP...
      > Just my first thoughts...
      >
      > I do feel somewhat concerned for your C&P. How much coverage on
      that plate? (Just a few lines, I'm sure it's fine...)

      > PF
      >
      > At 8:54 AM -0700 9 07 07, Karen Mortenson wrote:
      > >Hello All,
      > >
      > >I am printing with my C & P 10x15 on 4-ply museum board usuing
      photopolymer plates. The client wants a very deep impression but
      when I woud get the impression she wanted, the outline of the plate
      would make an impression as well. I know this paper is particularly
      thick and squishy.
      > >Karen
    • Kayle Simon
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8 11:43 AM
        Karen,

        Deep magnesium plates might help.

        And, if you are getting not just impressions where you don't want
        them, but ink there
        as well, your rollers are running too close to the plate and you
        could try putting tape on the rails to raise the rollers a bit.

        I'm no expert but when I had a similar problem, those were my
        solutions. Raising the rails was the most important; mine were quite
        worn down, apparently.

        Kayle

        On Jul 9, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Karen Mortenson wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am printing with my C & P 10x15 on 4-ply museum board usuing
        > photopolymer plates. The client wants a very deep impression but
        > when I woud get the impression she wanted, the outline of the plate
        > would make an impression as well. I know this paper is particularly
        > thick and squishy.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Many thanks!
        >
        > Karen

      • Russell Maret
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9 8:21 AM
          HI Karen,

          I have done a lot of printing on 4-ply museum board and am familiar
          with the problem you are encountering. Assuming you are working for a
          client who is not interested in being educated on the finer points of
          beat fat/beat lean (although it's hard to imagine such a person),
          here are some suggestions:

          1) Remove all the packing from the tympan, pull an impression and see
          if you are still getting a plate impression.

          1a) If you still see the plate without any packing, you will need to
          back off the platen prior to proceeding with the steps below.

          2) If without any packing you are NOT getting a plate impression,
          progressively build up the packing until you start to see the
          impression. Once you do reduce the packing by 2 mil.

          3) Trace an outline of your plate onto a sheet of packing material (I
          usually use 6 mil tympan paper) and cut it out just inside the line
          (ie. the packing should be slightly smaller than your plate so that
          the plate edge does not contact the paper).

          4) Due to possible shift in the packing, I would mount this packing
          directly onto the tympan using either a spray adhesive, or carefully
          positioned dots of pva. You can usually increase the packing within
          the perimeter of the plate by at least 8 mil before you will
          encounter the next problem which will be getting an impression of the
          packing material.

          Good Luck,
          Russell Maret