Re: Boxcar Base

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
      Brandon

      By "boxcar plate," do you mean you are using a polyester-backed plate
      w/film adhesive on a Bunting Magnetic base? If so, what is the rationale?

      > We have a Universal I that came with a bunting base that almost fits
      > the width of the bed (shy 1/16") and fills all but 2.5 inches of the
      > length of the bed, the first of which is down near the gripper side,
      > the remaining 1.5" on the back end, which is where all the quoin
      > action happens to happen. It is as if some god of the press (is
      > there a god of printing?) had poured hot metal into the bed until its
      > height was roughly .85". Works fine with a boxcar plate (given the
      > fact we have an adjustable bed.)
      >
      > Brandon

    • Blue Barnhouse
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 3, 2007

        > By "boxcar plate," do you mean you are using a polyester-backed plate
        > w/film adhesive on a Bunting Magnetic base? If so, what is the
        > rationale?

        Yes we use polyester-backed plates w/ film adhesive (a whole lot
        easier to say boxcar plate), but it's not on a magnetic base, its
        just an aluminum base. I don't know why I said bunting.

        But, even on a magnetic base I would use boxcar plates (and have
        before, on other people's setup) and just adjust the press
        accordingly, for a number of reasons, though mostly for quick
        registration (we tape the plate upside down to the paper, properly
        registered, and then run it through the press). Yesterday we had a
        last minute switch on a poster for a summer movie series-- the
        client wanted to change "last of the unicorns" to "the last
        unicorn." rather than order a new negative we chopped up the plate
        with scissors and rearranged the words. I would never attempt
        something like that on a steel backed plate.

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 4, 2007
          Brandon

          A Kutrimmer works quite well for precision cutting on steel-backed
          plates. I did have an occasion to correct a steel-backed plate in the
          manner you describe. Not something I'd suggest as common routine.

          Don't know though that I'd also suggest this as a qualitative measure
          for a polyester-backed vs. steel-backed kind of thing. That seems a
          bit silly. Quick and dirty fixes are just what they are, and I'd
          "hope" not a rationale for preference or practice.

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 5, 2007
            While kutrimmers are handy for cutting straight lines, I find the
            need to cut in curves or around particular items- which I have tried
            on steel plates with snips but the results are difficult to come by
            and often messy. As per quick and dirty fixes, while I'm a
            perfectionist like the rest of us- an end result I can be proud of
            is what I'm after and the number of paths I take to that result on a
            day to day basis are widely varied. In this instance the job was a
            favor and with a whole bunch of paying jobs waiting in queue, quick
            and dirty sounded mighty delicious.

            Brandon

            On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:59 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

            > Brandon
            >
            > A Kutrimmer works quite well for precision cutting on steel-backed
            > plates. I did have an occasion to correct a steel-backed plate in the
            > manner you describe. Not something I'd suggest as common routine.
            >
            > Don't know though that I'd also suggest this as a qualitative measure
            > for a polyester-backed vs. steel-backed kind of thing. That seems a
            > bit silly. Quick and dirty fixes are just what they are, and I'd
            > "hope" not a rationale for preference or practice.
            >
            > Gerald
            > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
            >

            > > But, even on a magnetic base I would use boxcar plates (and have
            > > before, on other people's setup) and just adjust the press
            > > accordingly, for a number of reasons, though mostly for quick
            > > registration (we tape the plate upside down to the paper, properly
            > > registered, and then run it through the press). Yesterday we had a
            > > last minute switch on a poster for a summer movie series-- the
            > > client wanted to change "last of the unicorns" to "the last
            > > unicorn." rather than order a new negative we chopped up the plate
            > > with scissors and rearranged the words. I would never attempt
            > > something like that on a steel backed plate.

          • parallel_imp
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 5, 2007
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Blue Barnhouse
              <letpresslist@...> wrote:

              > While kutrimmers are handy for cutting straight lines, I find the
              > need to cut in curves or around particular items- which I have tried
              > on steel plates with snips but the results are difficult to come by
              > and often messy.

              There are a variety of tools that will cut metal plates on an
              irregular path or a limited distance, but most will remove a width of
              metal. You can get a "nibbler" at Radio Shack, and it takes a 1/16"
              deep by 1/4" wide bite, which can be started from a hole drilled in
              the middle of the plate; with practice, you can also use a jigsaw or
              coping saw or jeweller's saw for a thinner path. I also use little
              curved dental scissors, straight and curved tinsnips, and a French
              version of the nibbler (it says "cisaille" on the package). All are
              useful, none are perfect, and you'll need to file off edge-burrs. And
              I warn you, working with cut metal like this, you really should have a
              full first-aid kit and know how to make a butterfly bandage.
              E Holub, SF
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 5, 2007
                Hi Eric

                Yeah, I've got a zillion specialized tools for this, and dropped a few
                more bucks tonight searching for that nibbler. Ah, Radio Shack, sort
                of like going to Home Depot, except for the wait. Still junk when you
                get it home though.

                I suppose this will irritate just about everyone but I'd recommend not
                ever disturbing the length/width configuration of a plate, whether
                steel-backed or polyester-backed. Except, of course, in the quick and
                dirty or the desperate necessity. Why? The lay-down can easily get
                distorted or twisted. Plain and simple.

                > There are a variety of tools that will cut metal plates on an
                > irregular path or a limited distance, but most will remove a width of
                > metal. You can get a "nibbler" at Radio Shack, and it takes a 1/16"
                > deep by 1/4" wide bite, which can be started from a hole drilled in
                > the middle of the plate; with practice, you can also use a jigsaw or
                > coping saw or jeweller's saw for a thinner path. I also use little
                > curved dental scissors, straight and curved tinsnips, and a French
                > version of the nibbler (it says "cisaille" on the package). All are
                > useful, none are perfect, and you'll need to file off edge-burrs. And
                > I warn you, working with cut metal like this, you really should have a
                > full first-aid kit and know how to make a butterfly bandage.
                > E Holub, SF

              • parallel_imp
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 6, 2007
                  Gerald, I should add that I'm using these tools on Miraclon/Rigilon
                  which has a fairly rigid metal backing. A more flexible back, as on
                  Printight, can be more distorted by tools with a short cut (except
                  maybe the nibbler, which supports the remaining material as it cuts,
                  but it can leave a bit of a sawtooth edge). Cut Printight with
                  tinsnips and it may get a lasagna-edge. As I said, these tools are
                  useful but not perfect. And I can understand why some people prefer
                  the ease of cutting plastic plates with scissors or xacto.
                  But since I often mount small plates on lead high-base, the nibbler
                  lets me trim a plate right up to the beard, butt it against foundry
                  type, etc.
                  Eric Holub, SF

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 7, 2007
                    Just some information:

                    Besides manufacturing magnetic flatbases and magnetic cylinders for
                    the printing industry, Bunting actually makes non-magnetic cylinders
                    for use with polyester-backed plates—and has for a "lot" longer than
                    "boxcar plates" have been around. They never manufactured a
                    non-magnetic flatbase though, I assume, market-wise, they saw no
                    industry support since non-magnetic flatbases were readily available.
                    I had a bunch of the old plastic newspaper bases at one point, and
                    they were also made from type metal and wood (I have some very precise
                    aluminum combination base material that was manufactured in Germany).
                    Those old AWT and ATF catalogs list all sorts of base material.