Magnetic pads

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2002
      FYI:

      In regard to my previous post concerning the Australian firm that,
      a few years back, had come up with the idea of magnetic pads on
      honeycomb bases: This apparently never transpired, for one reason
      or another. So a while ago I spoke with Bunting regarding the
      manufacture of a thin magnetic pad that could be used on a honeycomb
      base to allow for the kind of precision registration that only the
      honeycomb toggle hooks can provide. They were all ears and felt there
      would be no problem working out the manufacturing. They assured me
      these could be made with a magnetic pull even stronger than the
      currently configured Bunting Cerface base and in a single magnetic
      direction to allow the toggle hooks to push the pad into alignment.
      Only problem is the probability of an existing patent and the necessity
      of a market survey (of the foil and die stamping industries, not us!!!)
      to justify product manufacture.

      I also talked to Sterling Toggle, they still make the honeycomb bases,
      now mainly chase-specific but also in a range of heights. (They also
      sell a great "torque" key for speed quoins, as well as stamping plates,
      and the like). I doubt this combination would be cheap, as a new Sterling
      base is already more expensive than either the same size Boxcar or the
      Patmag. But it could be quite a useful device. And a bit more of an all-
      in-one base as it would also allow for the printing of photoengraved plates
      and dies. I'd like to see something like this developed as it could resolve
      the problems of plate travel and registration that were recently discussed
      here.