RE: [PPLetterpress] ink for coated stock on uncoated paper?

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      The big thing to printing on coated stock is that you need a paper with an
      oxidizing (surface) drier. The coating on the paper does not allow the
      paper to absorb into the fibers of the paper, so the normal absorption
      drier of standard inks will not work on coated stock. However, there is no
      reason that you can not use an ink with oxidizing drier on uncoated stock,
      I do it if the color I need is a surface drying ink. The only thing is
      that the surface drying ink WILL BEGIN DRY ON THE PRESS if left unattended
      and not running for more than a half hour to an hour. Also, you may find
      it necessary to clean the press every 4-5 hours as the ink can dry even
      while the press is running...

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York