ink for coated stock on uncoated paper?

  • thistleberry_press
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hi,

      I am not familiar with printing on coated stock or using ink
      specifically for coated stock. Can anyone tell me what would happen if
      you used an ink that was designed for printing on coated paper on
      uncoated paper? I use Van Son oil based inks (on a Vandy 4) and am
      looking to print on Stonehenge Fawn colored paper (a lighter khaki
      color) but the client wants a really rich red ink. I was just wondering
      if a coated ink would produce a brighter color than an uncoated ink.
      But I was also concerned if there would be problems with drying, etc.
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
        I just finished printing a job using an old halftone of peas. I started out
        wanting to try out some Crane's Letra then switched to some aged coated
        stock I had laying around. Ink was Gans rubber uncoated and results were
        very good with fast drying time. I did use significantly less ink on the
        coated stock. I'm sure like every other printing situation you are juggling
        several variables: climate, age of paper and ink, coverage, etc.

        I've been trying out the Gans after many years of oil based ink (Daniel
        Smith in tubes) and it's really growing on me. They send you tootsie rolls
        with your order too.

        --Jessica

        Jessica Spring
        SPRINGTIDE PRESS
        http://www.springtidepress.com
        253.627.8629

        > From: "thistleberry_press" <etsu4@...>
        > Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 03:54:02 -0000
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] ink for coated stock on uncoated paper?
        >

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am not familiar with printing on coated stock or using ink
        > specifically for coated stock. Can anyone tell me what would happen if
        > you used an ink that was designed for printing on coated paper on
        > uncoated paper? I use Van Son oil based inks (on a Vandy 4) and am
        > looking to print on Stonehenge Fawn colored paper (a lighter khaki
        > color) but the client wants a really rich red ink. I was just wondering
        > if a coated ink would produce a brighter color than an uncoated ink.
        > But I was also concerned if there would be problems with drying, etc.
        > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
          The big thing to printing on coated stock is that you need a paper with an
          oxidizing (surface) drier. The coating on the paper does not allow the
          paper to absorb into the fibers of the paper, so the normal absorption
          drier of standard inks will not work on coated stock. However, there is no
          reason that you can not use an ink with oxidizing drier on uncoated stock,
          I do it if the color I need is a surface drying ink. The only thing is
          that the surface drying ink WILL BEGIN DRY ON THE PRESS if left unattended
          and not running for more than a half hour to an hour. Also, you may find
          it necessary to clean the press every 4-5 hours as the ink can dry even
          while the press is running...

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York