Boxcar Base

  • sylvianine
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
      I'm interested in purchasing a Boxcar Base for my SP-15 Vandercook. I'd appreciate
      hearing from others who are using these bases-- pros, cons, any pointers?

      Many thanks,

      Sylvia
    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
        Apologies, as I know this has been discussed before but I failed to save the
        suggestions. Any source for round coasters out there? I can find square with
        round corners at local restaurant supply houses, but I'd prefer round and
        large quantity is not a problem. If anyone has surplus to sell, I'd like to
        hear about that as well.
        Thanks,
        Jessica

        Jessica Spring
        SPRINGTIDE PRESS
        http://www.springtidepress.com
        253.627.8629

      • Linda Johnson
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
          I use my boxcar base with my Vandercook model 4 and love it. I just ordered plates from them for the sixth time. They do a good job and I have never had a problem with either the base or the plates.

          Linda K Johnson

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
            I started in polymer with magnetic bases. When Harold introduced his
            Boxcar Base I got 2. Then I got two more. Last week I bought his largest
            size. I use them on four different presses. I get all my plates from
            Boxcar and have never been dissapointed. I wouldn't use any other source.
            You can't do better.

            Mike Kaylor
            The Literary House Press
            Washington College
          • David Michael McNamara
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
              Jessica,

              I've ordered from http://www.americancoaster.com/ before. You have to email or call for blank coasters, but they have them (and round, too) and, if I recall, for a reasonable price (although there is a minimum order of 1000 or so, I think).
              __

              David

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
                I borrowed a large magnetic base for my first polymer printing. It was
                large, very heavy and I heaved a sigh of relief as I put it down onto
                the bed of my Vandercook SP15. Then I realized I had put the magnetic
                side down! It took a friendly engineer with a wooden bar almost an
                hour to finally move it to the bottom of the press, which broke the
                magnetism. A horrendous experience - which, with great inattention, I
                duplicated about six weeks later. I quickly returned the borrowed base
                and bought a non-magnetic one from Boxcar which is invaluable. -- Elspeth

                mkaylor2@... wrote:

                > I started in polymer with magnetic bases. When Harold introduced his
                > Boxcar Base I got 2. Then I got two more. Last week I bought his largest
                > size. I use them on four different presses. I get all my plates from
                > Boxcar and have never been dissapointed. I wouldn't use any other source.
                > You can't do better.
                >
                > Mike Kaylor
                > The Literary House Press
                > Washington College

              • Jessica Spring
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 30, 2007
                  Thanks, David. This is perfect.
                  --Jessica

                  > From: "David Michael McNamara" <david@...>
                  > Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:22:15 -0500
                  > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] coasters
                  >
                  > Jessica,
                  >
                  > I've ordered from http://www.americancoaster.com/ before. You have to email or
                  > call for blank coasters, but they have them (and round, too) and, if I recall,
                  > for a reasonable price (although there is a minimum order of 1000 or so, I
                  > think).
                  > __
                  >
                  > David

                • Raymond Nichols
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                    I use the non-metallic bases. I've bought a 6" x 9" and two 9" x 12".

                    I butt the two larger ones to make one that is 12" x 18" if I need
                    something larger.

                    Work great. The new ones are even better than the old ones in that
                    they have a grid marked off in 1/4" increments which makes the
                    positioning of polymer plates much easier.

                    I'd like to hear from people that use the deep-relief plates for
                    platen presses to see if you think that offers you any improvement.

                    Ray Nichols
                    Wallflowers Press

                    On Mar 30, 2007, at 7:02 PM, sylvianine wrote:

                    > I'm interested in purchasing a Boxcar Base for my SP-15 Vandercook.
                    > I'd appreciate
                    > hearing from others who are using these bases-- pros, cons, any
                    > pointers?
                    >
                    > Many thanks,
                    >
                    > Sylvia

                  • sylvia chevrier
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                      Thanks for the helpful comments about the Boxcar Base.

                      One thing I'm curious about-- the 13 x 19 inch base would nearly
                      entirely fill the printable area on my SP-15 Vandercook press,
                      leaving only about an inch on either side to lock up. Do you use
                      quoins, furniture or both? Right now the quoins I have are too wide
                      to fit in that small of a space.

                      Sylvia
                    • Graham and Kathy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                        magnets

                        On 31/3/07 17:45, "sylvia chevrier" <sylviachevrier@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the helpful comments about the Boxcar Base.
                        >
                        > One thing I'm curious about-- the 13 x 19 inch base would nearly
                        > entirely fill the printable area on my SP-15 Vandercook press,
                        > leaving only about an inch on either side to lock up. Do you use
                        > quoins, furniture or both? Right now the quoins I have are too wide
                        > to fit in that small of a space.
                        >
                        > Sylvia
                      • nagraph1
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                          If you are printing posters or broadsides, a 13x19 base may be
                          justified, but I seriouly question the reasoning behind filling up the
                          bed of any press with a base that taxes the physical limits of the
                          bed. My recommendation is to get two bases that will be the same size
                          that can be used individually or in tandem if required for a large
                          plate. On the SP-15 in particuler, maintaining the inking rollers to
                          the correct height can be a problem, and the chances of inking the
                          base on one side or the other, or the end of the base is a distinct
                          possibility. Most wedding invitations don't require that massive a
                          base, and not much else does either. I think it is a false notion that
                          one base will fit all needs. If a base that large is actually needed,
                          replace the handy lockup bar with a smaller dimension steel bar and
                          lock up with a quoin and furniture--side lockup is probably not
                          necessary. Think twice about making such an expensive and irreversible
                          decision.

                          Frtiz

                          > On 31/3/07 17:45, "sylvia chevrier" <sylviachevrier@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Thanks for the helpful comments about the Boxcar Base.
                          > >
                          > > One thing I'm curious about-- the 13 x 19 inch base would nearly
                          > > entirely fill the printable area on my SP-15 Vandercook press,
                          > > leaving only about an inch on either side to lock up. Do you use
                          > > quoins, furniture or both? Right now the quoins I have are too wide
                          > > to fit in that small of a space.
                          > >
                          > > Sylvia

                        • sylvia chevrier
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                            Fritz,

                            Thanks for your comments. I'd actually been considering the option
                            you suggest-- two smaller bases instead of one large one. I will need
                            to print larger pieces on the press fairly often, so would like to be
                            able to use the maximum space the press can handle. Do you really
                            feel that a 13" base width would be pushing the press beyond what's
                            advisable?

                            Sylvia

                            >If you are printing posters or broadsides, a 13x19 base may be
                            >justified, but I seriouly question the reasoning behind filling up the
                            >bed of any press with a base that taxes the physical limits of the
                            >bed. My recommendation is to get two bases that will be the same size
                            >that can be used individually or in tandem if required for a large
                            >plate. On the SP-15 in particuler, maintaining the inking rollers to
                            >the correct height can be a problem, and the chances of inking the
                            >base on one side or the other, or the end of the base is a distinct
                            >possibility. Most wedding invitations don't require that massive a
                            >base, and not much else does either. I think it is a false notion that
                            >one base will fit all needs. If a base that large is actually needed,
                            >replace the handy lockup bar with a smaller dimension steel bar and
                            >lock up with a quoin and furniture--side lockup is probably not
                            >necessary. Think twice about making such an expensive and irreversible
                            >decision.
                            >
                            >Frtiz
                            >
                            >> On 31/3/07 17:45, "sylvia chevrier" <sylviachevrier@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> > Thanks for the helpful comments about the Boxcar Base.
                            >> >
                            >> > One thing I'm curious about-- the 13 x 19 inch base would nearly
                            >> > entirely fill the printable area on my SP-15 Vandercook press,
                            >> > leaving only about an inch on either side to lock up. Do you use
                            >> > quoins, furniture or both? Right now the quoins I have are too wide
                            >> > to fit in that small of a space.
                            >> >
                            >> > Sylvia

                          • nagraph1
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                              The question of exceeding the capability of a press is not directly
                              related to printing the maximum image area. Certain layouts may
                              actually have very light type or image coverage, but physically
                              cover a lot of geography, while a form filled with large type, like
                              is often seen in wood type poster work, pushes a press to its
                              physical limits. It is generally accepted that not printing to the
                              outer limits of the image area (letterpress) is often the best bet,
                              and the option is to go to the next larger press, say from a SP-15
                              to a SP-20, or 219 or Universal I as an example. That's why shops,
                              even one person shops, often have several presses, of different
                              sizes and types. No one press is the magic bullet to print
                              everything.

                              Fritz

                              sylviachevrier@...> wrote:

                              > Fritz,
                              >
                              > Thanks for your comments. I'd actually been considering the option
                              > you suggest-- two smaller bases instead of one large one. I will
                              need
                              > to print larger pieces on the press fairly often, so would like to
                              be
                              > able to use the maximum space the press can handle. Do you really
                              > feel that a 13" base width would be pushing the press beyond
                              what's
                              > advisable?
                              >
                              > Sylvia

                            • sylvia chevrier
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                                Fritz,

                                I definitely understand your point. However, I consider myself very
                                lucky to have found one Vandercook! I'm not sure I will ever have the
                                chance to own/afford a second, larger model, so for now must get the
                                most I can from my smaller-sized press.

                                Sylvia

                                >The question of exceeding the capability of a press is not directly
                                >related to printing the maximum image area. Certain layouts may
                                >actually have very light type or image coverage, but physically
                                >cover a lot of geography, while a form filled with large type, like
                                >is often seen in wood type poster work, pushes a press to its
                                >physical limits. It is generally accepted that not printing to the
                                >outer limits of the image area (letterpress) is often the best bet,
                                >and the option is to go to the next larger press, say from a SP-15
                                >to a SP-20, or 219 or Universal I as an example. That's why shops,
                                >even one person shops, often have several presses, of different
                                >sizes and types. No one press is the magic bullet to print
                                >everything.
                                >
                                >Fritz
                                >
                                >sylviachevrier@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Fritz,
                                >>
                                >> Thanks for your comments. I'd actually been considering the option
                                >> you suggest-- two smaller bases instead of one large one. I will
                                >need
                                >> to print larger pieces on the press fairly often, so would like to
                                >be
                                >> able to use the maximum space the press can handle. Do you really
                                >> feel that a 13" base width would be pushing the press beyond
                                >what's
                                >> advisable?
                                >>
                                >> Sylvia

                              • David Michael McNamara
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                                  Sylvia,

                                  Boxcar offers two cuts for free with a base order. Save yourself the money and order the larger one and have it cut (as opposed to buying two smaller ones).
                                  __

                                  David

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
                                    Sylvia

                                    I've got two Bunting Cerface Magnetic Bases that fit my Vandercook
                                    SP15 bed at 11-1/4 by 17 inches. This leaves just enough room for
                                    roller supports, quoins, and supporting furniture on the width. The
                                    press is, amazingly enough, capable of providing uniform ink coverage
                                    over that range.

                                    A consideration regarding a large base though might be this. Bunting
                                    won't make a base larger than 11-1/4 by 8-1/2 inches simply because
                                    they cannot guarantee that it will be precisely parallel throughout
                                    the measure beyond that; and they are a major manufacturer of all
                                    sorts of industrial products. They will make larger bases on special
                                    order but caution with the suggestion that such a base would need to
                                    be bolted down to the press bed. That is something I would give some
                                    thought to in your decision making. Sometimes bigger isn't better.

                                    > Fritz,
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your comments. I'd actually been considering the option
                                    > you suggest-- two smaller bases instead of one large one. I will need
                                    > to print larger pieces on the press fairly often, so would like to be
                                    > able to use the maximum space the press can handle. Do you really
                                    > feel that a 13" base width would be pushing the press beyond what's
                                    > advisable?
                                    >
                                    > Sylvia
                                    >

                                    > >If you are printing posters or broadsides, a 13x19 base may be
                                    > >justified, but I seriouly question the reasoning behind filling up the
                                    > >bed of any press with a base that taxes the physical limits of the
                                    > >bed. My recommendation is to get two bases that will be the same size
                                    > >that can be used individually or in tandem if required for a large
                                    > >plate. On the SP-15 in particuler, maintaining the inking rollers to
                                    > >the correct height can be a problem, and the chances of inking the
                                    > >base on one side or the other, or the end of the base is a distinct
                                    > >possibility. Most wedding invitations don't require that massive a
                                    > >base, and not much else does either. I think it is a false notion that
                                    > >one base will fit all needs. If a base that large is actually needed,
                                    > >replace the handy lockup bar with a smaller dimension steel bar and
                                    > >lock up with a quoin and furniture--side lockup is probably not
                                    > >necessary. Think twice about making such an expensive and irreversible
                                    > >decision.
                                    > >
                                    > >Frtiz

                                  • sylvia chevrier
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
                                      Gerald,

                                      Thanks to you and to everyone else who sent in their opinions on this
                                      topic; it was all very helpful.

                                      Best,
                                      Sylvia

                                      >Sylvia
                                      >
                                      >I've got two Bunting Cerface Magnetic Bases that fit my Vandercook
                                      >SP15 bed at 11-1/4 by 17 inches. This leaves just enough room for
                                      >roller supports, quoins, and supporting furniture on the width. The
                                      >press is, amazingly enough, capable of providing uniform ink coverage
                                      >over that range.
                                      >
                                      >A consideration regarding a large base though might be this. Bunting
                                      >won't make a base larger than 11-1/4 by 8-1/2 inches simply because
                                      >they cannot guarantee that it will be precisely parallel throughout
                                      >the measure beyond that; and they are a major manufacturer of all
                                      >sorts of industrial products. They will make larger bases on special
                                      >order but caution with the suggestion that such a base would need to
                                      >be bolted down to the press bed. That is something I would give some
                                      >thought to in your decision making. Sometimes bigger isn't better.
                                      >
                                      >Gerald
                                      ><http://BielerPress.blogspot.com>http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                                    • Allison Chapman
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
                                        To the earlier question regarding the deep relief bases:

                                        I have been happy with the standard Boxcar base on my platen press. I
                                        haven't run into any difficulties yet. I like the convenience of using the
                                        smaller base on my Vandercook as well.

                                        Allison Chapman
                                        Igloo Press

                                      • Harold Kyle
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                                          Thanks to everyone who shared their Boxcar Base experience. It's nice
                                          to start the week this way!

                                          We've sold many 13x19 bases to SP-15 users.

                                          On Mar 31, 2007, at 3:25 PM, nagraph1 wrote:
                                          > but I seriouly question the reasoning behind filling up the
                                          > bed of any press with a base that taxes the physical limits of the
                                          > bed. My recommendation is to get two bases that will be the same size
                                          > that can be used individually or in tandem if required for a large
                                          > plate.

                                          Fritz: It's easy to imagine a 13x19 form with light coverage (or
                                          light impression, for that matter) that doesn't tax the physical
                                          limits of the press. Granted a 13x19 form with solid coverage and
                                          heavy impression on vellum would tax any Vandercook, particularly the
                                          SP-15. But there's no reason you'd tax the press with a 3x5 plate on
                                          a 13x19 base, is there? I don't see how there's any disadvantage to
                                          go large on a Vandercook, as long as you have some "wiggle room" to
                                          move the base to aid registration.

                                          That said, if someone needs the flexibility of two bases, Boxcar can
                                          cut a 13x19 base in half at no additional charge. This is ideal
                                          because the base's height between the two halves matches exactly
                                          (because they come from the same original base).

                                          If your inking rollers are inking the base, then something is way out
                                          of adjustment and needs correcting. The printing is going to be very
                                          poor quality if the rollers are so low. If adjusting the roller
                                          height doesn't help, then NA Graphics has new rollers.

                                          Finally, buying a Boxcar Base is not irreversible because we have a
                                          satisfaction guarantee.

                                          On Mar 31, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
                                          > Bunting
                                          > won't make a base larger than 11-1/4 by 8-1/2 inches simply because
                                          > they cannot guarantee that it will be precisely parallel throughout
                                          > the measure beyond that;

                                          Gerald: That may have something to do with the capabilities of their
                                          machine shop, because we're able to guarantee the same tolerances
                                          over a much larger area. None of our customers has had to bolt down
                                          their base to my knowledge, although we've shipped many 17x22 bases
                                          and several 24 inch square bases. It's hard to find a machine shop
                                          that can handle these tolerances, but ours can. We guarantee it, anyway.

                                          Harold

                                          Harold Kyle
                                          Boxcar Press
                                          501 W. Fayette St. #222 ~ Syracuse, NY 13204
                                          315-473-0930 phone ~ 315-473-0967 fax
                                          http://www.boxcarpress.com
                                        • Blue Barnhouse
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                                            We have a Universal I that came with a bunting base that almost fits
                                            the width of the bed (shy 1/16") and fills all but 2.5 inches of the
                                            length of the bed, the first of which is down near the gripper side,
                                            the remaining 1.5" on the back end, which is where all the quoin
                                            action happens to happen. It is as if some god of the press (is
                                            there a god of printing?) had poured hot metal into the bed until its
                                            height was roughly .85". Works fine with a boxcar plate (given the
                                            fact we have an adjustable bed.)

                                            Brandon

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                                              Brandon

                                              By "boxcar plate," do you mean you are using a polyester-backed plate
                                              w/film adhesive on a Bunting Magnetic base? If so, what is the rationale?

                                              > We have a Universal I that came with a bunting base that almost fits
                                              > the width of the bed (shy 1/16") and fills all but 2.5 inches of the
                                              > length of the bed, the first of which is down near the gripper side,
                                              > the remaining 1.5" on the back end, which is where all the quoin
                                              > action happens to happen. It is as if some god of the press (is
                                              > there a god of printing?) had poured hot metal into the bed until its
                                              > height was roughly .85". Works fine with a boxcar plate (given the
                                              > fact we have an adjustable bed.)
                                              >
                                              > Brandon

                                            • Blue Barnhouse
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 3, 2007

                                                > By "boxcar plate," do you mean you are using a polyester-backed plate
                                                > w/film adhesive on a Bunting Magnetic base? If so, what is the
                                                > rationale?

                                                Yes we use polyester-backed plates w/ film adhesive (a whole lot
                                                easier to say boxcar plate), but it's not on a magnetic base, its
                                                just an aluminum base. I don't know why I said bunting.

                                                But, even on a magnetic base I would use boxcar plates (and have
                                                before, on other people's setup) and just adjust the press
                                                accordingly, for a number of reasons, though mostly for quick
                                                registration (we tape the plate upside down to the paper, properly
                                                registered, and then run it through the press). Yesterday we had a
                                                last minute switch on a poster for a summer movie series-- the
                                                client wanted to change "last of the unicorns" to "the last
                                                unicorn." rather than order a new negative we chopped up the plate
                                                with scissors and rearranged the words. I would never attempt
                                                something like that on a steel backed plate.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 4, 2007
                                                  Brandon

                                                  A Kutrimmer works quite well for precision cutting on steel-backed
                                                  plates. I did have an occasion to correct a steel-backed plate in the
                                                  manner you describe. Not something I'd suggest as common routine.

                                                  Don't know though that I'd also suggest this as a qualitative measure
                                                  for a polyester-backed vs. steel-backed kind of thing. That seems a
                                                  bit silly. Quick and dirty fixes are just what they are, and I'd
                                                  "hope" not a rationale for preference or practice.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 5, 2007
                                                    While kutrimmers are handy for cutting straight lines, I find the
                                                    need to cut in curves or around particular items- which I have tried
                                                    on steel plates with snips but the results are difficult to come by
                                                    and often messy. As per quick and dirty fixes, while I'm a
                                                    perfectionist like the rest of us- an end result I can be proud of
                                                    is what I'm after and the number of paths I take to that result on a
                                                    day to day basis are widely varied. In this instance the job was a
                                                    favor and with a whole bunch of paying jobs waiting in queue, quick
                                                    and dirty sounded mighty delicious.

                                                    Brandon

                                                    On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:59 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                                                    > Brandon
                                                    >
                                                    > A Kutrimmer works quite well for precision cutting on steel-backed
                                                    > plates. I did have an occasion to correct a steel-backed plate in the
                                                    > manner you describe. Not something I'd suggest as common routine.
                                                    >
                                                    > Don't know though that I'd also suggest this as a qualitative measure
                                                    > for a polyester-backed vs. steel-backed kind of thing. That seems a
                                                    > bit silly. Quick and dirty fixes are just what they are, and I'd
                                                    > "hope" not a rationale for preference or practice.
                                                    >
                                                    > Gerald
                                                    > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                                                    >

                                                    > > But, even on a magnetic base I would use boxcar plates (and have
                                                    > > before, on other people's setup) and just adjust the press
                                                    > > accordingly, for a number of reasons, though mostly for quick
                                                    > > registration (we tape the plate upside down to the paper, properly
                                                    > > registered, and then run it through the press). Yesterday we had a
                                                    > > last minute switch on a poster for a summer movie series-- the
                                                    > > client wanted to change "last of the unicorns" to "the last
                                                    > > unicorn." rather than order a new negative we chopped up the plate
                                                    > > with scissors and rearranged the words. I would never attempt
                                                    > > something like that on a steel backed plate.

                                                  • parallel_imp
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 5, 2007
                                                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Blue Barnhouse
                                                      <letpresslist@...> wrote:

                                                      > While kutrimmers are handy for cutting straight lines, I find the
                                                      > need to cut in curves or around particular items- which I have tried
                                                      > on steel plates with snips but the results are difficult to come by
                                                      > and often messy.

                                                      There are a variety of tools that will cut metal plates on an
                                                      irregular path or a limited distance, but most will remove a width of
                                                      metal. You can get a "nibbler" at Radio Shack, and it takes a 1/16"
                                                      deep by 1/4" wide bite, which can be started from a hole drilled in
                                                      the middle of the plate; with practice, you can also use a jigsaw or
                                                      coping saw or jeweller's saw for a thinner path. I also use little
                                                      curved dental scissors, straight and curved tinsnips, and a French
                                                      version of the nibbler (it says "cisaille" on the package). All are
                                                      useful, none are perfect, and you'll need to file off edge-burrs. And
                                                      I warn you, working with cut metal like this, you really should have a
                                                      full first-aid kit and know how to make a butterfly bandage.
                                                      E Holub, SF
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 5, 2007
                                                        Hi Eric

                                                        Yeah, I've got a zillion specialized tools for this, and dropped a few
                                                        more bucks tonight searching for that nibbler. Ah, Radio Shack, sort
                                                        of like going to Home Depot, except for the wait. Still junk when you
                                                        get it home though.

                                                        I suppose this will irritate just about everyone but I'd recommend not
                                                        ever disturbing the length/width configuration of a plate, whether
                                                        steel-backed or polyester-backed. Except, of course, in the quick and
                                                        dirty or the desperate necessity. Why? The lay-down can easily get
                                                        distorted or twisted. Plain and simple.

                                                        > There are a variety of tools that will cut metal plates on an
                                                        > irregular path or a limited distance, but most will remove a width of
                                                        > metal. You can get a "nibbler" at Radio Shack, and it takes a 1/16"
                                                        > deep by 1/4" wide bite, which can be started from a hole drilled in
                                                        > the middle of the plate; with practice, you can also use a jigsaw or
                                                        > coping saw or jeweller's saw for a thinner path. I also use little
                                                        > curved dental scissors, straight and curved tinsnips, and a French
                                                        > version of the nibbler (it says "cisaille" on the package). All are
                                                        > useful, none are perfect, and you'll need to file off edge-burrs. And
                                                        > I warn you, working with cut metal like this, you really should have a
                                                        > full first-aid kit and know how to make a butterfly bandage.
                                                        > E Holub, SF

                                                      • parallel_imp
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 6, 2007
                                                          Gerald, I should add that I'm using these tools on Miraclon/Rigilon
                                                          which has a fairly rigid metal backing. A more flexible back, as on
                                                          Printight, can be more distorted by tools with a short cut (except
                                                          maybe the nibbler, which supports the remaining material as it cuts,
                                                          but it can leave a bit of a sawtooth edge). Cut Printight with
                                                          tinsnips and it may get a lasagna-edge. As I said, these tools are
                                                          useful but not perfect. And I can understand why some people prefer
                                                          the ease of cutting plastic plates with scissors or xacto.
                                                          But since I often mount small plates on lead high-base, the nibbler
                                                          lets me trim a plate right up to the beard, butt it against foundry
                                                          type, etc.
                                                          Eric Holub, SF

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 7, 2007
                                                            Just some information:

                                                            Besides manufacturing magnetic flatbases and magnetic cylinders for
                                                            the printing industry, Bunting actually makes non-magnetic cylinders
                                                            for use with polyester-backed plates—and has for a "lot" longer than
                                                            "boxcar plates" have been around. They never manufactured a
                                                            non-magnetic flatbase though, I assume, market-wise, they saw no
                                                            industry support since non-magnetic flatbases were readily available.
                                                            I had a bunch of the old plastic newspaper bases at one point, and
                                                            they were also made from type metal and wood (I have some very precise
                                                            aluminum combination base material that was manufactured in Germany).
                                                            Those old AWT and ATF catalogs list all sorts of base material.