Re: [PPLetterpress] Re:resolution for negatives to make polymerplates

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 24, 2007
      Mo,
      We'll miss your valuable observations!
      I'm on this one and SF letterpress, even though I'm in NW Illinois.
      Letpress is just way too much for me.

      Cheers
      PF

      At 5:26 AM +0000 24 03 07, wa0dfw@... wrote:
      >Due to the incredible number of emails coming into my inbox from both
      >Letpress and PPLetterpress, I have decided to unsubscribe from
      >PPLetterpress. Though I find the subjects fascinating, I simply
      >cannot handle all the emails.

      Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

      Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com
      Philosophy Fonts Lettering
    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 24, 2007
        Mo,

        You can "turn off" emails, and remain a member of the group, as you may
        well know... I have done this to several YAHOO Groups that I belong to,
        and just drop into the Yahoo Groups Site occasionally and search the
        archives for things that interest me...

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 24, 2007
          Mo,

          One other observation on handling volumes of email:

          Use your email program's "FILTER" options to push mail from different lists
          into separate folders. I do this for APA, ECLetterpress, Intertype World,
          LETPRESS, Miehle Vertical World, NE Letterpress Guild, PPLetterpress
          SFLetterpress and Typecasting, along with the 15 email accounts I collect
          mail from. That way I know my really personal stuff doesn't get lost in
          the shuffle. I can also scan down the subject lines from a given group and
          just delete those things that I am not interested in (I usually quickly
          scan all the messages, though....)

          If you have not set this up already, I can lend you a had, it takes a
          little tweaking to get things just right for some of the groups, as to what
          to look for to redirect the message to another folder, but mine works
          flawlessly now... I have 23 incoming mail folders and it helps me keep
          things organized...

          - Lance

        • Bev Dittberner
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 25, 2007
            Hello, this is my first post- I run the prepress dept at
            Full Circle Press, One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread
            is that you need to think about what you want your final outcome
            to be- If you require pixalation for a "screened" look, or area that
            would otherwise be a second color in a lighter PMS, but need to cut
            corners
            leaving a line drawing or area in grayscale will achieve this.

            100% black is required for a plate without pixalation.

            Making a plate that has an image that has solid areas that blend out
            to tiny dots can be tricky. It's a dance between exposure and
            washout.

            I've done pencil drawings and scanned them into Photoshop as full
            color scans, then changed the mode to grayscale, then adjusted the
            contrast until the black was as dense as I could get it and still
            keep the "scetched" look of the drawing. As long as my file can
            convert to an ESP in CS2 my file will make it to the RIPP and be
            re-written to 2400 dpi.

            The trick is to do a double wash out when making the plate.
            When you expose the plate,the rule of thumb is the smaller the window
            to the light, the longer the exposure- however when you
            have a drawing where you have a solid area that blends out to an area
            that is basically a lot of tiny dots, you don't want to lose the dots
            in your wash out- SO you expose for the solid and save the dots in
            the wash out process. You wash the plate for 1 and half to 2 minutes,
            then put the plate in the oven and baked it for 5 - 7 minutes, then
            wash it again , checking every30 - seconds until you get a clean
            plate that still has the tiny dots.,

            Bev

            hope this helps
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 25, 2007
              Bev

              I'm not sure why the double washout should work, though I've heard it
              mentioned here before. I don't see how the drying out process
              (theoretically, or technically) would contribute (since it has no effect
              on the solubility of the photopolymer). But if it works. . .

              Traditionally, and this is not just limited to processing photopolymer
              plates, the exposure is staged for the various elements by masking them
              off. For instance, when a solid has reached its maximum exposure, the
              exposure is halted, the solid masked off, and exposure continued for the
              remaining elements; fine dots and lines getting the maximum exposure.

              Bit more tricky though to achieve the gradation you have mentioned.
              Before photomechanical engraving lost the personal touch of the
              craftsman there were all kinds of tricks and techniques employed to
              achieve certain effects, but most of that information is now only
              available in long out of print manuals.

              I did a series of plates for a printmaker a while back where dampened
              Japanese silk tissue was used as intermediate masking between elements
              of the imaging and that served for a very interesting effect.