envelope suggestions

  • brandtchristine
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2007
      Can anyone suggest a few sources of nice cotton envelopes (for letterpress of course). I'm
      designing a wedding invitation and she wants double envelopes (!) I'm having a hard time
      finding anything of quality. I like Arturto and Crane's Lettra, but their sizes are limited.

      thank you,
      Christine
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2007
        Interestingly enough, Arturo is not cotton, but 100% high alpha
        cellulose. Many printers market this paper as cotton, and it's very
        cotton-like in its softness, but it's really made out of virgin tree
        pulp. Cranes envelopes are made from cotton, and so are the Somerset
        envelopes that Legion recently introduced. Mills such as Neenah and
        Gilbert have cotton paper that might have corresponding envelopes,
        but these are not well suited to invitations (they probably don't
        have an inner-outer envelope) and look more "commercial." I can't
        think of any other off-the-shelf envelopes that are truly cotton (as
        opposed to cotton-like)! Cranes might be your best bet. Good luck!

        I hope this helps,
        Harold

        Mar 20, 2007, at 12:42 PM, brandtchristine wrote:
        > an anyone suggest a few sources of nice cotton envelopes (for
        > letterpress of course). I'm
        > designing a wedding invitation and she wants double envelopes (!)
        > I'm having a hard time
        > finding anything of quality. I like Arturto and Crane's Lettra, but
        > their sizes are limited.
        >
        > thank you,
        > Christine

        Harold Kyle
        Boxcar Press
        501 W. Fayette St. #222 ~ Syracuse, NY 13204
        315-473-0930 phone ~ 315-473-0967 fax
        http://www.boxcarpress.com
      • Kayle Simon
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2007
          Christine:

          You might try Altantic Papers in PA. (atlanticpapers.com) The are, I
          believe, the only US rep for Velke Losiny Moldau paper, which has
          been milled since the 15th century. It is spectacular and they have
          pre-made envelopes. (The paper is 40% cotten, 60% linen). T

          Their website is not very good but they are kind enough to send
          examples of everything they suggest for Letterpress. Also, for
          letterpress printers, they have no minimums fand no charge for cuts
          or duplexing. They seem to want to support the "industry," if you can
          call us that!

          Kayle Simon
          Indigo Design

          On Mar 20, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:

          > Interestingly enough, Arturo is not cotton, but 100% high alpha
          > cellulose. Many printers market this paper as cotton, and it's very
          > cotton-like in its softness, but it's really made out of virgin tree
          > pulp. Cranes envelopes are made from cotton, and so are the Somerset
          > envelopes that Legion recently introduced. Mills such as Neenah and
          > Gilbert have cotton paper that might have corresponding envelopes,
          > but these are not well suited to invitations (they probably don't
          > have an inner-outer envelope) and look more "commercial." I can't
          > think of any other off-the-shelf envelopes that are truly cotton (as
          > opposed to cotton-like)! Cranes might be your best bet. Good luck!
          >
          > I hope this helps,
          > Harold
          >
          > Mar 20, 2007, at 12:42 PM, brandtchristine wrote:
          > > an anyone suggest a few sources of nice cotton envelopes (for
          > > letterpress of course). I'm
          > > designing a wedding invitation and she wants double envelopes (!)
          > > I'm having a hard time
          > > finding anything of quality. I like Arturto and Crane's Lettra, but
          > > their sizes are limited.
          > >
          > > thank you,
          > > Christine
          > >

          > Harold Kyle
          > Boxcar Press
          > 501 W. Fayette St. #222 ~ Syracuse, NY 13204
          > 315-473-0930 phone ~ 315-473-0967 fax
          > http://www.boxcarpress.com

          Kayle Simon
          Indigo Graphic Design