Re: What Font? [Reading List from The Atlantic Monthly]

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2007
      Farida

      Back in 1928, the beloved W. A. Dwiggins actually addressed this
      existential question in his book _Layout in Advertising_:

      "What type does the architect of advertising elect to use, and why?
      That question is the acolyte's invariable first prayer for
      enlightenment—phrased always in one of the various voices of despair
      —what type shall I use? The gods refuse an answer. They refuse
      (sacrilege though it be to say it) because they do not know."

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Farida Bee <faridabee@...> wrote:

      > The March 2007 issue of The Atlantic Monthly features a reading list
      of type related books: "The Next Existential Question: What Font?" by
      Terry Castle.

      > http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200703/castle-fonts
      >
      > Type & Typography by Phil Baines and Andrew Haslam (2002)
      >
      > Creative Type: A Sourcebook of Classic and Contemporary Letterforms
      by Cees W. de Jong, Alston W. Purvis, and Friedrich Friedl (2005)

      > Indie Fonts, Vols. 1 and 2, ed. by Richard Kegler, James Grieshaber,
      and Tamye Riggs (2002, 2003)

      > Handwritten: Expressive Lettering in the Digital Age by Steven
      Heller and Mirko Illic (2004)

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2007
        Great cite, Gerald!

        Three cheers for Dwiggins the Enlightened ;-)

        Bravo!

        At 4:56 AM +0000 20 03 07, Gerald Lange wrote:
        >Farida
        >
        >Back in 1928, the beloved W. A. Dwiggins actually addressed this
        >existential question in his book _Layout in Advertising_:
        >
        >"What type does the architect of advertising elect to use, and why?
        >That question is the acolyte's invariable first prayer for
        >enlightenment—phrased always in one of the various voices of despair
        >—what type shall I use? The gods refuse an answer. They refuse
        >(sacrilege though it be to say it) because they do not know."
        >
        >Gerald

        > > The March 2007 issue of The Atlantic Monthly features a reading list
        >of type related books: "The Next Existential Question: What Font?" by
        >Terry Castle.
        >

        >> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200703/castle-fonts

        Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

        Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com