What Font? [Reading List from The Atlantic Monthly]

  • Farida Bee
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19 9:36 PM
      The March 2007 issue of The Atlantic Monthly features a reading list of type related books: "The Next Existential Question: What Font?" by Terry Castle.

      http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200703/castle-fonts

      Type & Typography by Phil Baines and Andrew Haslam (2002)

      Creative Type: A Sourcebook of Classic and Contemporary Letterforms by Cees W. de Jong, Alston W. Purvis, and Friedrich Friedl (2005)

      Indie Fonts, Vols. 1 and 2, ed. by Richard Kegler, James Grieshaber, and Tamye Riggs (2002, 2003)

      Handwritten: Expressive Lettering in the Digital Age by Steven Heller and Mirko Illic (2004)

      Eric Gill: A Lover's Quest for Art and God by Fiona MacCarthy (1989)

      Farida Sunada
      Alhambra, California

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19 9:56 PM
        Farida

        Back in 1928, the beloved W. A. Dwiggins actually addressed this
        existential question in his book _Layout in Advertising_:

        "What type does the architect of advertising elect to use, and why?
        That question is the acolyte's invariable first prayer for
        enlightenment—phrased always in one of the various voices of despair
        —what type shall I use? The gods refuse an answer. They refuse
        (sacrilege though it be to say it) because they do not know."

        Gerald

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 7:22 AM
          Great cite, Gerald!

          Three cheers for Dwiggins the Enlightened ;-)

          Bravo!

          At 4:56 AM +0000 20 03 07, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >Farida
          >
          >Back in 1928, the beloved W. A. Dwiggins actually addressed this
          >existential question in his book _Layout in Advertising_:
          >
          >"What type does the architect of advertising elect to use, and why?
          >That question is the acolyte's invariable first prayer for
          >enlightenment—phrased always in one of the various voices of despair
          >—what type shall I use? The gods refuse an answer. They refuse
          >(sacrilege though it be to say it) because they do not know."
          >
          >Gerald

          > > The March 2007 issue of The Atlantic Monthly features a reading list
          >of type related books: "The Next Existential Question: What Font?" by
          >Terry Castle.
          >

          >> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200703/castle-fonts

          Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

          Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com