brushes

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17 11:12 PM
      I've had my photopolymer plate machine (A&V Orbital VIII) for near 12
      years now and I'm beginning to wonder about brush replacement. Far as
      I can tell nothing is wrong. Brushes look okay, still standing
      straight up, no problems with surface disturbance on plates or
      washout. No photopolymer residue, etc.

      However, my rep says that some of his customers replace them every six
      months. At $600+ a pop I guess I'd need to know just what to look for.
      Anyone here have to replace their brushes and how did you know you had to?

      Gerald
    • Graham and Kathy
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18 1:03 AM
        Sounds like the sort of thing a rep might say. It would be interesting to
        know if the customers being referred to are as careful as the self-employed
        might be concerning the care of the equipment.

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com

      • wa0dfw@copper.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18 4:05 PM
          Have you ever heard "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

          Mo

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18 4:57 PM
            Sure have heard that Mo. And I'd agree except that I can't afford the
            inevitable down time (and potential loss of business) when something
            lingering does finally "break" and I wasn't on top of it enough to
            prepare ahead for probable replacement.

            I was just wondering if there is a discernible pattern to brush
            degradation that one should be aware of or look out for.

            Gerald

          • wa0dfw@copper.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18 8:40 PM
              Well, you do seem to be on top of it, you have examined the brushes
              for condition and settings, they operate correctly as is. If you keep
              an eye on them and you see any early signs of deterioration, then
              jump right on it.

              I'd think that early signs would be bristled NOT standing straight or
              a few coming loose.

              Mo