ELEMANTARY INFORMATION

  • pmhg2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19 10:11 AM
      Hello,
      I am new and am looking foor elementary information how to skip
      making negatives. I got hold of a polymere washing unit with oven
      and lamps, but am looking for info on making the negatives necessary
      for using this piece of wonderfull equipment.

      Can I make them on the computer?
      I ordered som books on the subject but they have not yet arrived.
      Sinds I live in Belgium please also info on where to get the
      polymere plates.

      Thank You for any advice, warmest greetings Patrick
    • thronobulx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19 11:48 AM
        Patrick: We have been using polymer plates now for 4 years and have found
        that there is no high quality substitute for a good, professionally made
        negative. Having the densest black negative is worth the price.

        Just one guy's opinion.

        James Shanley
      • Libbie Hitt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19 12:08 PM
          Hi All!

          At Otis college we have had good luck using "laser film" (from Kelly paper
          (in LA), designed for silkscreen exposure) printed on a high quality laser
          printer (HP 8000) using high quality toner (epson, i think), then spraying
          the negs with "Laser Buddy (www.laserbuddy.com), which makes the toner dense
          enough to expose. Let it dry COMPLETELY so it doesn't stick to the plate,
          expose for 3.5 minutes, wash for 3.5 minutes. It works surprisingly well,
          even for fairly small type and delicate lines.

          "Real" negs are defintely better, but laser film is usually good enough for
          me (AND WAY CHEAPER!)

          Libbie

          thronobulx@... wrote:

          > Patrick: We have been using polymer plates now for 4 years and have found
          > that there is no high quality substitute for a good, professionally made
          > negative. Having the densest black negative is worth the price.
          >
          > Just one guy's opinion.
          >
          > James Shanley

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > • Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > • To unsubscribe:

        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19 12:13 PM
            The point about having a good, dense black in the negative is a good one.
            However, as we have discussed before, sometimes you can get away with a
            laser transparency if you are doing experimental work where detail is not
            important. If detail is important, nothing beats a professionally made
            negative. In fact, I have found that nothings beats professionally made
            plates. Unless you are doing a LOT of plates, it will take you awhile to
            save money by doing them yourself.

            Anyway, good luck.

            A few of sources for plates in the US (one of them may be able to give you a
            source in Europe):

            Gene Becker in Flushing, New York
            718-454-0654

            NA Graphics in Colorado
            970-387-0212
            nagraph@...

            Boxcar Press in Syracuse, New York
            315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
            www.boxcarpress.com

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
            513-233-9588

            > From: thronobulx@...
            > Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:48:28 EDT
            > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] ELEMANTARY INFORMATION
            >
            > Patrick: We have been using polymer plates now for 4 years and have found
            > that there is no high quality substitute for a good, professionally made
            > negative. Having the densest black negative is worth the price.
            >
            > Just one guy's opinion.
            >
            > James Shanley
          • bielerpr
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19 10:08 PM
              --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Katie Harper <knharper@f...> wrote:

              > A few of sources for plates in the US (one of them may be able to give you a
              > source in Europe):
              >
              > Gene Becker in Flushing, New York
              > 718-454-0654
              >
              > NA Graphics in Colorado
              > 970-387-0212
              > nagraph@F...
              >
              > Boxcar Press in Syracuse, New York
              > 315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
              > www.boxcarpress.com

              Katie, I have identified seven US plate processors who actively
              provide to book arts folks (as opposed to regional/commercial) and
              have them listed in the Database. These include the above three and,
              toot, toot, myself.

              New, but not yet added, is PPL member Zida Borcich Letterpress in
              Fort Bragg (northern California).

              zida@...

              Gerald
            • Mats Broberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 19 11:52 PM
                Patrick,

                It is always enticing to cut costs, but this usually turns out to be a
                mistake in printing in general - and fine printing in particular.

                Since every step in your reproduction process is a new generation
                compared to your original, and will add - however small - an error, one
                should use the best possible material and and most proven and
                standardized processes in each step.

                The film negative step is one of the most crucial steps in platemaking
                and no expenses should be spared to get as perfect as possible a
                negative. This means, for example, a density of or exceeding 3.5,
                resolution at least 2540 dpi, making sure the imagesetter is serviced
                regularly with regards to the laser, traction etc, correct emulsion
                side, perfect vacuum during exposure etc.

                Regards,
                Mats Broberg
                ARS IMPRIMIS PRESS
                Hauptvägen 102