Re: Optima

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi Bob

      It was good to see you again at CODEX.

      I'd suggest going digital with Optima but it just doesn't work. Not in
      OS X. I put together an extensively reconfigured and letterpress
      compliant version of Optima a while back and it is basically useful
      only on pre-OS X systems. It's very irritating the way font management
      is handled in OS X. Their crappy TrueType system versions override
      other formats, I can't find third party software than can effectively
      counter this; neither FontAgent Pro nor Linotype Explorer can,
      seemingly, provide resolution for this problem. I'm sure there is an
      easy button out there, just haven't found it yet.

      While the new regime of OT, OS X, and ID certainly make things easier
      and faster, quite frankly, that is all they do; they certainly haven't
      improved anything, typographically speaking since the early 1990s. I
      was looking at a letterpress printed book I did in 1992 the other day,
      with Pagemaker 4.01 on a Mac SE30 (probably OS 6) with PostScript Type
      1 fonts (which we proudly proclaimed in the colophon!!!). No way I
      could improve on that with current technology.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E Blesse" <blesse@...>