Polimero A4

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2007
      I am looking for an operators manual for a Polimero A4. Any help with
      one would be appreciated. Thanks Rick
    • letterpress_man
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 22, 2007
        I am looking for an operators manual for a Polimero A4 or something
        close that would work. A copy, pdf, or a website with info would work.
        Thanks Rick
      • Charles D. Jones
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 23, 2007
          Hello,
          I have such a machine. What do you need to know?
          It is pretty basic, vacum -expose-wash out and dry. NA Graphics should have
          information, I bought our machine from them but have mis-placed the manual.
          More important is the time for exposure and washout for the plates you are
          using.
          I will look for the manual but could probably answer most questions you
          might have.
          Cheers,
          Charlie

          On 2/22/07, letterpress_man <letterpress-man@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for an operators manual for a Polimero A4 or something
          > close that would work. A copy, pdf, or a website with info would work.
          > Thanks Rick

        • rick smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 23, 2007
            Charlie

            I think the bigest question I have is setting the brush height as I took them out to clean them and they were not set right to start with.

            Thanks
            Rick

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 23, 2007
              Rick

              The only manual I have ever seen in regard to setting brush height is
              the A&V Orbital X. Every other that I've seen just indicate "brushes
              preset at factory."

              I have an A&V Orbital VIII and pull the brush plate to drain and clean
              every day that I make plates. Same brush plate for over 12 years, have
              not yet had need to replace it (figure it's best to take good care of
              it since they cost about $6oo+ to replace). It should just drop back
              in place? I have worked with wood backed Polimero brush plates. Not so?

              > I think the bigest question I have is setting the brush height as
              I took them out to clean them and they were not set right to start
              with.

            • Rick Shearer
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 24, 2007
                Gerald

                I got this machine used and where it came from they didn't clean it very well or lnow how to run it. I am in the process of taking it apart and cleaning it and geting it ready to work again. It is a good machine just a little dirty. That is why I was asking about the brush setting because I dont' know if it is right as it is adjustable.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 25, 2007
                  Rick

                  On most machines that I have seen they are adjustable, but I don't
                  know that you want to do that. Likely cause more problems than it
                  could solve. I have a carrier sheet, that I attach to my magnetic
                  platen, that allows me to process polyester-backed plates, it's
                  somewhat thick, but does the job without incident. Got it from A&V and
                  they issued no concerns about that or its use. Boxcar sells them as
                  well. Not sure how important this may be. Only concern that I have
                  ever fielded was water level in relation to the brushes. Fellow was
                  running the bath at brush surface level and experiencing surface
                  disruption to the plates. Think about alternative processing (wash
                  out) for a second, the folks who swear by it aren't even aware of this
                  issue. Not sure how important it is.

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Rick Shearer
                  <letterpress-man@...> wrote:

                  > Gerald
                  >
                  > I got this machine used and where it came from they didn't clean
                  it very well or lnow how to run it. I am in the process of taking it
                  apart and cleaning it and geting it ready to work again. It is a good
                  machine just a little dirty. That is why I was asking about the brush
                  setting because I dont' know if it is right as it is adjustable.

                  > Rick
                  >
                  > Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
                  > Rick
                  >
                  > The only manual I have ever seen in regard to setting brush height is
                  > the A&V Orbital X. Every other that I've seen just indicate "brushes
                  > preset at factory."
                  >
                  > I have an A&V Orbital VIII and pull the brush plate to drain and clean
                  > every day that I make plates. Same brush plate for over 12 years, have
                  > not yet had need to replace it (figure it's best to take good care of
                  > it since they cost about $6oo+ to replace). It should just drop back
                  > in place? I have worked with wood backed Polimero brush plates. Not so?
                  >
                  > Gerald
                  > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                  >

                  > > I think the bigest question I have is setting the brush height as
                  > I took them out to clean them and they were not set right to start
                  > with.

                • Ian Bristow
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 26, 2007
                    Rick

                    I have a Polimero A5, probably very similar. It is not very clean either but does the job. However I do think my brushes need to be lowered because when I try to process plastic plates using the rubber my plates always come off. If you do figure it out let me know, I would appreciate it as I am also not sure how to adjust them.

                    Cheers
                    Ian

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 26, 2007
                      Ian

                      If your polyester-backed plates are sliding off the (non-magnetic)
                      sticky mounting rubber that might because the rubber isn't dry when the
                      plates are adhered to it. If wet from a previous washout the plates
                      could slip. It's been suggested that a vinegar wipe on the mounting
                      rubber should be done before and after washout. Not quite sure about the
                      rationale behind that but I do know that to prevent slippage or
                      detachment it is best to dry off the platen or carrier sheet before
                      attaching the plates.

                    • Rick Shearer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 27, 2007
                        Gerald

                        Vinegar seems to be a good agent for cleaning off old polymer. I have been using it to clean the brushes on this machine. I thought I was going to have to replace them as the owner before let them build up with polymer that it was hard to tell they were brushes. I let them soak in vinegar a couple of days then rub out the old polymer and they were as good as new. So if you use it to wipe off the rubber it would clean off any residue that might be on there as well as making the rubber more adhesive so the plate sticks better.

                        Rick

                        Ian Bristow wrote:
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > I have a Polimero A5, probably very similar. It is not very clean either but does the job. However I do think my brushes need to be lowered because when I try to process plastic plates using the rubber my plates always come off. If you do figure it out let me know, I would appreciate it as I am also not sure how to adjust them.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Ian
                        >
                        > Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > On most machines that I have seen they are adjustable, but I don't
                        > know that you want to do that. Likely cause more problems than it
                        > could solve. I have a carrier sheet, that I attach to my magnetic
                        > platen, that allows me to process polyester-backed plates, it's
                        > somewhat thick, but does the job without incident. Got it from A&V and
                        > they issued no concerns about that or its use. Boxcar sells them as
                        > well. Not sure how important this may be. Only concern that I have
                        > ever fielded was water level in relation to the brushes. Fellow was
                        > running the bath at brush surface level and experiencing surface
                        > disruption to the plates. Think about alternative processing (wash
                        > out) for a second, the folks who swear by it aren't even aware of this
                        > issue. Not sure how important it is.
                        >
                        > Gerald
                        > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                        >
                        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Rick Shearer
                        > <letterpress-man@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Gerald
                        >>
                        >> I got this machine used and where it came from they didn't clean
                        >>
                        > it very well or lnow how to run it. I am in the process of taking it
                        > apart and cleaning it and geting it ready to work again. It is a good
                        > machine just a little dirty. That is why I was asking about the brush
                        > setting because I dont' know if it is right as it is adjustable.
                        >
                        >> Rick
                        >>
                        >> Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
                        >> Rick
                        >>
                        >> The only manual I have ever seen in regard to setting brush height is
                        >> the A&V Orbital X. Every other that I've seen just indicate "brushes
                        >> preset at factory."
                        >>
                        >> I have an A&V Orbital VIII and pull the brush plate to drain and clean
                        >> every day that I make plates. Same brush plate for over 12 years, have
                        >> not yet had need to replace it (figure it's best to take good care of
                        >> it since they cost about $6oo+ to replace). It should just drop back
                        >> in place? I have worked with wood backed Polimero brush plates. Not so?
                        >>
                        >> Gerald
                        >> http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                        >>

                        >>> I think the bigest question I have is setting the brush height as
                        >>>
                        >> I took them out to clean them and they were not set right to start
                        >> with.

                      • ductormanpaperboy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 27, 2007
                          Thanks Gerald

                          I will try this.

                          Ian

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > setting because I dont' know if it is right as it is adjustable.
                          > >
                          > >> Rick
                          > >>
                          > >> Gerald Lange <Bieler@> wrote:
                          > >> Rick
                          > >>
                          > >> The only manual I have ever seen in regard to setting brush height is
                          > >> the A&V Orbital X. Every other that I've seen just indicate "brushes
                          > >> preset at factory."
                          > >>
                          > >> I have an A&V Orbital VIII and pull the brush plate to drain and clean
                          > >> every day that I make plates. Same brush plate for over 12 years, have
                          > >> not yet had need to replace it (figure it's best to take good care of
                          > >> it since they cost about $6oo+ to replace). It should just drop back
                          > >> in place? I have worked with wood backed Polimero brush plates. Not so?
                          > >>
                          > >> Gerald
                          > >> http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                          > >> I took them out to clean them and they were not set right to start

                        • Charles D. Jones
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                            I will check and see if there is any info in my manual. Did you check with
                            NA graphics? I bought my machine from them.
                            CJ

                            On 2/23/07, rick smith <repairman46052@...> wrote:

                            > Charlie
                            >
                            > I think the bigest question I have is setting the brush height as I took
                            > them out to clean them and they were not set right to start with.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Rick
                            >
                            > "Charles D. Jones" <charlesdjones@... <charlesdjones%40gmail.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            > Hello,
                            > I have such a machine. What do you need to know?
                            > It is pretty basic, vacum -expose-wash out and dry. NA Graphics should
                            > have
                            > information, I bought our machine from them but have mis-placed the
                            > manual.
                            > More important is the time for exposure and washout for the plates you are
                            > using.
                            > I will look for the manual but could probably answer most questions you
                            > might have.
                            > Cheers,
                            > Charlie
                            >
                            > On 2/22/07, letterpress_man <letterpress-man@...<letterpress-man%40sbcglobal.net>>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I am looking for an operators manual for a Polimero A4 or something
                            > > close that would work. A copy, pdf, or a website with info would work.
                            > > Thanks Rick

                          • nagraph1
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                              I'm not sure that we have brush setting information, even for the
                              machines we sell. I typically refer those questions to the master
                              distributor. The brushes have to touch the background of the plate--
                              steel or polyester, and not much more. So I can't be of much help.

                              Fritz/NAG

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Charles D. Jones"

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 29, 2007
                                Rick

                                I realize your post is more than a couple of months old now but just
                                having gone through a brush plate replacement (this &@%^# weekend) I
                                have jotted down some notes on brush adjustment and posted them on my
                                blog at the following page:

                                http://BielerPressxi.blogspot.com

                                If you are still in need, hopefully this will help, if not, maybe
                                someone else will benefit.

                                > I think the bigest question I have is setting the brush height as
                                I took them out to clean them and they were not set right to start
                                with.

                                > Thanks
                                > Rick

                              • Rick Shearer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 30, 2007
                                  Gerald

                                  Thanks for the information. That was what I was looking for it was a great help.

                                  Rick