Re: [PPLetterpress] Fontlab

  • Justin Howes
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 4:26 AM
      Fontlab is a wonderful program, and will be even more wonderful when
      upgraded to version 4 (which will indeed support OpenType). I used it for
      the Founder's Caslon fonts, mentioned recently by Gerald Lange. In terms of
      how it compares with Fontographer, specifically for PP-optimising fonts, its
      biggest advantage may be that the 'bold' option allows you to alter
      horizontal and vertical weight independently.

      Justin Howes

      website: http://www.hwcaslon.com Home of Caslon Old Face, the world's oldest
      living typeface.
      email: jhowes@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 7:41 PM
        Dear PPL members

        For those of you who do have Fontographer I have put a simple font
        modification sequence in Files. I'd also refer you to Stephen Moye's
        book Fontographer: Type by Design for more sophisticated approaches to
        modifying fonts. This is now out-of-print but occasionally a copy
        shows up on the various book dealer lists. I have also put a link to
        Fontographer in Bookmarks. If you follow this you will also find a
        number of tech tips for using Fontographer.

        Having said all this, I too eagerly await the new version of FontLab.
        I have the first version for the Mac and it won't run on my computer.
        But I have heard great things about it from Justin and others. In that
        regard I have also put a link in Bookmarks to the TYPO-L archives
        where there was a lengthy discussion regarding the pros and cons of FL
        and FOG.

        All best

        Ger