Re: [PPLetterpress] Plastic Plates Curling...

  • Charles D. Jones
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 3, 2007
      Plates curl on the etching press when there is excessive pressure on top
      and something soft underneath. Sometimes it is useful to print with a felt
      blanket under the paper with the plate placed face down onto it. The plate
      will curl and have to be straightened again before inking. Is your
      packing krimlon, or soft. Are you using a platen press or roller? It seems
      that the softer plastic plates, printed with a bit of extra pressure for
      the solid areas might want to curl. If it is cold and the surface is
      dry and still soft with moisture in the lower part of the plate would
      have a propensity to curl.
      Think about how one curls ribbons or strips of paper by pulling them
      over the edge of a table.
      Either stretching or shrinking will cause it to happen.
      Try a bit of ink reducer and ease up on the pressure and see if that
      helps.
      Charles

      On 2/3/07, featherweightpress <featherweightpress@...> wrote:

      > I have a job on the press using plastic backed photopolymer plates and
      > sheet adhesive
      > backing, but the plates are warping like crazy and peeling off the base.
      > What could cause
      > this to happen? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I have
      > really heavy areas of
      > solid in the artwork? My studio has been a bit cold, if I heat it up a bit
      > will these things sit
      > flat?
      >
      > Daniel Morris
      > The Arm Letterpress
      > Brooklyn, NY

    • Daniel Morris
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
        Gerald and list,
        Thanks for the input and suggestions. I should have mentioned these are brand new plates from Boxcar. These are only the second plates I have ordered and I had the same problem with the last ones, only to a lesser and more manageable degree. This time the curling is causing the plate to pull away from the adhesive backing and lift off the base at the edges to the point where the dead area near the edge is sitting above type high and inking.
        This is very frustrating because this is a job for a friend who is very eager to drop his already finished records in these jackets!

        Daniel Morris
        The Arm Letterpress
        Brooklyn, NY

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
          Daniel

          My best guess would be that it has to do somehow with humidity and
          temperature?

          Completely unrelated. But I know you recondition Vandercooks and have
          a question. Any suggestions on taking a 320G apart to get it out of a
          room that only has a standard door frame. I assume complete
          disassembly and turning the frame on its side? This is a press located
          at a LA educational facility and they just want it out of there. The
          press got walled in at some point. I've looked at it and it appears to
          be fully intact, clean except for lack of use, with a lot of the
          extras they provided for that model.

          > Gerald and list,
          > Thanks for the input and suggestions. I should have mentioned these
          are brand new plates from Boxcar. These are only the second plates I
          have ordered and I had the same problem with the last ones, only to a
          lesser and more manageable degree. This time the curling is causing
          the plate to pull away from the adhesive backing and lift off the base
          at the edges to the point where the dead area near the edge is sitting
          above type high and inking.
          > This is very frustrating because this is a job for a friend who is
          very eager to drop his already finished records in these jackets!

          > Daniel Morris
          > The Arm Letterpress
          > Brooklyn, NY

          {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
          arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
> [...]
        • Daniel Morris
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
            Gerald,
            The 320G is very simple Vandercook. The trip mechanism can be disconnected and disassembled, the shelving box can be removed with a few screws, the feed boards taken off, the cylinder rolled off the end of the bed (mark the teeth first) then you can remove the press bed from the legs which are tied together with threaded rods. I have never taken one of my presses this far, but Arie Koelewyn and Dave Celani did it with a 325G not too long ago. That press is identical to the 320G with the exception of its width.
            Below I have attached some text from Arie's report that may help you a bit. There is a .pdf of the manual for this press on the Boxcar site (http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/) which might help you to visualise it.
            By all means grab this press if you can. And when you troubleshooting it let me know.

            Daniel Morris
            The Arm Letterpress
            Brooklyn, NY

            From Arie:
            I promised you all a report on the move of the Vandercook 325A (SN:
            20307) that Lance Williams found in Frankenmuth, MI and reported on
            this list a while ago. The press is now safely in my garage and the
            move went fairly smoothly. It still needs to be reassembled, but that
            doesn't seem it will be as tricky as removing it from the basement it
            was found in. You might recall that the press was in the basement of a
            touristy country gift store. The press had been used to print bumper
            stickers for sale to the tourists until last December.

            The press had to be disassembled to get through a 34" choke point on the
            way to the back stairs. Before the move I had assembled an A-frame
            cradle for the bed and a shallow cradle that looked like kids sled to
            hold the cylinder. These went down the stairs the press had to come up,
            so I was pretty confident that they'd come up again with the press parts
            on them.

            I was very lucky to have three good friends to help me with the move.
            Joe Warren is probably familiar to most on the list. He and I live only
            a few miles apart and often help each other out. Fred Stahmner is a
            friend from work who can't quite figure out what all the fuss is about
            all of this cast iron and lead, but was willing to lend a hand.
            Finally, but not least, is new friend Dave Celani, also from this list.
            I'd never met Dave before this move, but he wrote and volunteered to
            meet us at the press and spent the first day helping us disassemble the
            Vandercook and getting the parts into their cradles. His toolkit is
            much better than mine and made the whole process much easier than it
            might have been. Thanks guys!

            The first order of the day was to move the press under a massive I-beam
            near the side of the room. We put two 2x6 skids under it and used three
            1" iron pipes to roll it into place. Next was removal of the cylinder
            carriage. At first we tried to remove it from the back of the press.
            We removed the stops but it was still binding on something and wouldn't
            small bits, but it was no go. So finally we turned the press around and
            went off the front. That worked. When the cylinder was at the end of
            the press we rigged a number of straps around it and suspended it from a
            come-along . As we were lowering to down to the cradle the come-along
            slipped about 6 inches and provided the scariest moment of the move.
            After a couple of deep breaths, the cylinder was slowly lowered to the
            cradle on the floor. Next the bed was removed from the cabinet in
            essentially the same manner, but we substituted a substantial chain
            puller for the come-along . We rigged the cradle on the floor so that
            the side of the A-frame it would rest upon was flat and lowered the bed
            onto it after the cabinet had been pulled away by hand. Then the cradle
            was pulled upright by the chain puller.

            After the slow disassembly, moving the press through the choke point and
            staging the pieces at the foot of the stairs went smoothly and quickly.
            At that point Dave had to leave and the rest of us were hungry. The
            three of us retreated next door to Zehnder's and had a family style
            chicken dinner. Expensive but tasty and convenient. Though they did
            put us scruffy looking types right next to the kitchen so most of the
            other customers wouldn't have to look at us.

            When we were fed, rehydrated and rested a bit, we went back to the
            store. The owner had identified a number of other letterpress items
            that he did not want any more. I volunteered to take anything he didn't
            want. In addition to the press, there was a 30" "Perfect Gem" paper
            cutter, a table saw (brand unknown, but not a Hammond), a Bradley
            stencil cutting machine, 4 or 5 slug cutter, 3 manual rule miterers and
            one powered, one combination slug cutter/miterer, a Golding padding
            press and a few miscellaneous bits. We also found a few Vandercook
            parts including a chase. These were carried upstairs and taken home at
            the end of the first day.

            I had arranged to borrow a Ford F350 pickup from another friend at work
            and a flatbed trailer from the father of another. The truck owner had
            picked up the trailer and we were about to trade car keys when that all
            fell apart. He was summarily fired that afternoon and the truck and
            trailer both went home. A few quick phone calls and I had arranged with
            the trailer's owner to also borrow the van he uses to pull the trailer,
            but only for one day. So the second day of this adventure began with a
            westward drive to pick up van and trailer and then drive eastward to
            Frankenmuth. We (Joe, Fred & I) arrived without incident, despite my
            lack of experience in driving with a trailer. We had arranged to meet
            at the store with a tow truck operator to help pull the heavy bits up
            the stairs. They brought along two tow trucks and a flat bed.

            First the flat bed pulled up to the loading dock and we rolled the paper
            cutter (which was on ground level) with a pallet jack out the dock door
            and onto the flat bed. From the flatbed truck onto the trailer was as
            easy as it gets. We didn't even have to take anything off the cutter.
            Next was pulling the press bed up the stairs and out through a door in
            the left side of the stairwell. The tow truck operators (Reinert &
            Bender) used one truck to pull it up the stairs (by sticking its boom
            into the doorway) and a second to twist it around and out the door. It
            was a tight fit but after an hour or so it was sitting on the ground
            outside. These guys were awesome: careful and methodical. The cabinet
            went up by hand and the cradle with the cylinder went up with a single
            truck's winch. We loaded the bed onto the flat bed truck and then onto
            the trailer. The cylinder and cabinet went into place by hand. By then
            the tow truck crew (Dennis, Bob and Larry) had been there three hours.
            Luckily it had been a slow day for them, so that wasn't a problem. I
            paid them, gave them each a nice tip and felt I got a real good deal for
            my money.

            With the trailer all loaded up, all we needed to do was tie things down
            and drive home. That was when it decided to rain. Buckets of rain.
            Not really any time to cover things and not much to cover things with
            anyway. This was my biggest mistake. Rain wasn't in the forecast and I
            didn't think to bring plastic sheeting to cover the press parts.
            Everything got soaked. A half hour later the rain let up and we
            finished tying things down and then drove for home.

            Unloading and storing everything in my garage was anticlimactic and
            fairly straightforward. No more room for cars in my garage!

            With the exception of the rain, everything went pretty much as I planned
            it. No major disasters and another press that was going to get walled
            up and forgotten, or scrapped, will have quite a few more years of
            useful life as a printing press. With luck it will end up at a new
            Book Arts program here in town.

            I have ideas for doing this kind of thing better next time, but it may
            be a while. I'm full up for now.

            The careful reader will have noticed that we left the saw behind. It's
            buried in hard to get to corner of the basement under a bunch of junk.
            By the end of day two we didn't have much oomph left (not to mention tie
            down straps) and decided to come back for the saw another day. The
            store owner was very pleased to get rid of all this stuff and get much
            more room that he could convert into retail space. The saw is out of
            his way and he was amenable to waiting a couple of months until I can
            get to it.

            ---Arie Koelewyn
            The Paper Airplane Press
            East Lansing, MI
            USA

            My best guess would be that it has to do somehow with humidity and

            temperature?

            Completely unrelated. But I know you recondition Vandercooks and have

            a question. Any suggestions on taking a 320G apart to get it out of a

            room that only has a standard door frame. I assume complete

            disassembly and turning the frame on its side? This is a press located

            at a LA educational facility and they just want it out of there. The

            press got walled in at some point. I've looked at it and it appears to

            be fully intact, clean except for lack of use, with a lot of the

            extras they provided for that model.

            Gerald

            http://BielerPress. blogspot. com

            > Gerald and list,

            > Thanks for the input and suggestions. I should have mentioned these

            are brand new plates from Boxcar. These are only the second plates I

            have ordered and I had the same problem with the last ones, only to a

            lesser and more manageable degree. This time the curling is causing

            the plate to pull away from the adhesive backing and lift off the base

            at the edges to the point where the dead area near the edge is sitting

            above type high and inking.

            > This is very frustrating because this is a job for a friend who is

            very eager to drop his already finished records in these jackets!

            > Daniel Morris

            > The Arm Letterpress

            > Brooklyn, NY

            <!--

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
              Daniel

              Thank you very much. I don't want the press for myself (well, I
              wouldn't mind it, but my wife would kill me). With this information
              though I think I can convince the facility to let someone (who might
              want it) come in and get it out rather than have the facility pay a
              rigger and it end up god knows where.

              > Gerald,
              > The 320G is very simple Vandercook. The trip mechanism can be
              disconnected and disassembled, the shelving box can be removed with a
              few screws, the feed boards taken off, the cylinder rolled off the end
              of the bed (mark the teeth first) then you can remove the press bed
              from the legs which are tied together with threaded rods. I have
              never taken one of my presses this far, but Arie Koelewyn and Dave
              Celani did it with a 325G not too long ago. That press is identical
              to the 320G with the exception of its width.
              > Below I have attached some text from Arie's report that may help you
              a bit. There is a .pdf of the manual for this press on the Boxcar
              site (http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/) which might help you to
              visualise it.
              > By all means grab this press if you can. And when you
              troubleshooting it let me know.

              > Daniel Morris
              > The Arm Letterpress
              > Brooklyn, NY

            • Arie Koelewyn
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
                Gerald & Daniel:

                That press still is not reassembled. Oh the joys of working with an
                academic bureaucracy.

                I have some photos of the press in pieces in the various cradles I built
                for them. They're a bit fuzzy; I had dropped the camera into the river
                for a few brief seconds shortly before this move and it appears the
                condensation left a film of dirt somewhere in the works. The camera
                gave up the ghost not long after.

                Anyway let me know if you want to see them. There were plenty of
                difficulties with this move, but disassembly wasn't one of them. Except
                for the slippage in the come-along it went pretty smoothly.

                ---Arie Koelewyn
                The Paper Airplane Press
                East Lansing, MI
                USA

                Gerald Lange wrote:
                > Daniel
                >
                > Thank you very much. I don't want the press for myself (well, I
                > wouldn't mind it, but my wife would kill me). With this information
                > though I think I can convince the facility to let someone (who might
                > want it) come in and get it out rather than have the facility pay a
                > rigger and it end up god knows where.
                >
                > Gerald
                > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                >

                >> Gerald,
                >> The 320G is very simple Vandercook. The trip mechanism can be
                >>
                > disconnected and disassembled, the shelving box can be removed with a
                > few screws, the feed boards taken off, the cylinder rolled off the end
                > of the bed (mark the teeth first) then you can remove the press bed
                > from the legs which are tied together with threaded rods. I have
                > never taken one of my presses this far, but Arie Koelewyn and Dave
                > Celani did it with a 325G not too long ago. That press is identical
                > to the 320G with the exception of its width.
                >
                >> Below I have attached some text from Arie's report that may help you
                >>
                > a bit. There is a .pdf of the manual for this press on the Boxcar
                > site (http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/) which might help you to
                > visualise it.
                >
                >> By all means grab this press if you can. And when you
                >>
                > troubleshooting it let me know.
                >
                >> Daniel Morris
                >> The Arm Letterpress
                >> Brooklyn, NY

              • alex brooks
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
                  there's a 325G at the University art building that "belongs" to me.
                  it's completely disassembled, with the bed on a heavy duty palette
                  that's been sitting in a hallway, unlocked & unprotected from thieves
                  or vandals for about 10 years. Soon I'll get a place to put it and
                  we'll move it out of there and reassemble it. It will double my max
                  printing size!

                  the press is odd in that there's an inking "plate" underneath the
                  feed board, and the inking rollers follow the impression cylinder
                  instead of leading it. One step away from hand-inking

                  one of these days,
                  alex
                  press817

                • wa0dfw@copper.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
                    This is not a "long term" solution to your problem, but to get the
                    job done, fasten the plate to a piece of die plywood or similar, then
                    shim from behind to bring it to type high.

                    Another good plywood is something called Baltic Birch, another "apple
                    ply", but maybe you can find an unused cutting die and salvage some
                    plywood from it.

                    You can nail the edges in non-print areas similar to the nailing they
                    do on zinc and mag plates. You might glue it first with some high
                    grade contact cement such as Barge, which is used extensively in the
                    shoe making/repair industry.

                    This might get the job out, your customer happy, and the "heat" off
                    while you figure out what the real problem is.

                    Good luck,

                    Mo

                  • Bethany Carter
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Hi Daniel,

                      You mentioned in an earlier post that your plates have heavy solid areas
                      in them. Are these solid areas close to the edge of the plate? I have a few
                      plates (adhesive, from Boxcar) that have solid areas that are close to the
                      edge and I sometimes have problems getting them to stick all the way down on
                      the base while printing. My advice is certainly not as sophisticated as the
                      others that have responded, but I have had better luck with this issue by
                      making sure there is a wide area of dead space around these solid areas and
                      that seems to help anchor the plate to the base to make the solid areas
                      stick all the way down and not curl up. Just something to try if nothing
                      else works.

                      Good luck,

                      Bethany
                      Proprietor, ThistleBerry Press

                      Spaces
                    • John G. Henry
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 5, 2007
                        Daniel:

                        I also have experienced this curling in my plates at times. I
                        resolved the problem by doubling up on both my drying time after
                        washout, and the post exposure time. I think they were re-absorbing
                        moisture (or drying out), changing the dimensions of the
                        image areas, causing heavy solid areas to cup up and leaving the
                        plate material curly as you describe.

                        Try a longer dry, but not too high a temperature, and give them a
                        long post exposure and see if that resolves your issues.

                        John G. Henry
                        Cedar Creek Press

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "featherweightpress"
                        <featherweightpress@...> wrote:

                        > I have a job on the press using plastic backed photopolymer plates
                        and sheet adhesive
                        > backing, but the plates are warping like crazy and peeling off the
                        base. What could cause
                        > this to happen? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I
                        have really heavy areas of
                        > solid in the artwork? My studio has been a bit cold, if I heat it
                        up a bit will these things sit
                        > flat?
                        >
                        > Daniel Morris
                        > The Arm Letterpress
                        > Brooklyn, NY

                      • Daniel Morris
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 5, 2007
                          John,
                          That sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I don't yet have facilities to process plates in house so I will have to speak to my platemaker about your recommendations. I suspect they are not accustomed to setting their machines to deal with such large areas of solid.

                          Daniel Morris
                          The Arm Letterpress
                          Brooklyn, NY

                          <featherweightpress @...> wrote:

                          > I have a job on the press using plastic backed photopolymer plates

                          and sheet adhesive

                          > backing, but the plates are warping like crazy and peeling off the

                          base. What could cause

                          > this to happen? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I

                          have really heavy areas of

                          > solid in the artwork? My studio has been a bit cold, if I heat it

                          up a bit will these things sit

                          > flat?

                          > Daniel Morris

                          > The Arm Letterpress

                          > Brooklyn, NY

                          <!--

[...]

                        • Harold Kyle
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 5, 2007
                            Dan:

                            I'm sorry to hear the problems you're having with the plates. I wish
                            I could have responded earlier, but the heavy snow here left us short-
                            staffed and I didn't get a chance to write earlier. Feel free to call
                            us directly with any concerns about our plates when they happen!

                            The cold shouldn't affect the plates, but the dryness of the winter
                            weather will cause the plates to curl. When the plates dry out, their
                            surface hardens and tends to curl inward, especially on large solids
                            on the KF152 plates. Thinner plastic-backed plates (like our 94FL)
                            don't tend to have this problem, nor will plates with ligher
                            coverage. This problem tends to flare up in the winter when the air
                            is dry for many of our customers. Usually the impression of the press
                            flattens the plate, but in your case it sounds like the plate isn't
                            sticking at all.

                            There are two steps to prevent this problem:
                            * Humidity helps. Run a humidifier in your shop in winter to make
                            sure the plates aren't losing moisture.
                            * Keep your plates bagged (to keep the plates in constant humidity)
                            and out out light (to keep them from hardening).

                            I have one solution that might get you through this run:
                            * If your plates have hardened and curled, you can re-moisten them to
                            make them more flexible. Since water will damage the adhesive, I
                            recommend you place the plate polymer-side up on a flat surface and
                            lay a wet towel on top. Let the plate sit, moistening, for five to
                            ten minutes. You can then dry the plate by blotting it dry with a
                            lint-free rag and following up with a hair drier. The plate should be
                            more supple and flatten out when the press goes to impression.

                            If you continue to have problems with your plate, give me a call. We
                            guarantee the plates for six months after processing, so we can offer
                            a replacement if you've stored your plates properly and still have
                            this problem. This must be the order we shipped right before Christmas?

                            Good luck, and let me know how you fare.

                            Harold

                            PS. I just talked with a customer whose base was so cold, she
                            suspects the adhesive wasn't sticking well. The information on our
                            adhesive doesn't have a temperature range, but it could be that the
                            base is so cold that the rubber-based adhesive can't stick. This is
                            conjecture, but maybe if you heated the base, it would be more
                            receptive to the adhesive?
                            I will try to follow up with the manufacturer about this question
                            tomorrow.

                            On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:22 PM, featherweightpress wrote:
                            > have a job on the press using plastic backed photopolymer plates
                            > and sheet adhesive
                            > backing, but the plates are warping like crazy and peeling off the
                            > base. What could cause
                            > this to happen? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I
                            > have really heavy areas of
                            > solid in the artwork? My studio has been a bit cold, if I heat it
                            > up a bit will these things sit
                            > flat?
                            >
                            > Daniel Morris
                            > The Arm Letterpress
                            > Brooklyn, NY

                            Harold Kyle
                            Boxcar Press
                            501 W. Fayette St. #222 ~ Syracuse, NY 13204
                            315-473-0930 phone ~ 315-473-0967 fax
                            http://www.boxcarpress.com
                          • Harold Kyle
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 5, 2007
                              John:

                              With relative humidity hovering between 15% and 20% in the northeast,
                              I don't think that reabsorption of moisture is possible! There just
                              is none in the air. In my experience, it's actually low humidity that
                              exacerbates curling. I've confirmed this phenomenon with two of the
                              plate manufacturers that we represent, and it bears out in the
                              seasonal changes of our customers' print shops. Conversely, in the
                              humid summer months, plates tend to be too moist. The best solution
                              is to maintain (somewhat) constant humidity in your shop year round.

                              Dan suggested our platemaker might not have been set up right for
                              solids in his response to your message. I think I'll address that
                              here. One thing we can to minimize curl is cut back on the exposures.
                              This wasn't possible in this case because the artwork contained the
                              equivalent of 4 point type in close proximity to the solid (this is
                              the "healthy hot dog" text, Dan). Small point sizes need longer
                              exposure to hold on the plate and to become hard enough to withstand
                              printing. 4 point type is miniscule and approaches the minimum we can
                              hold. It's a delicate balance between obtaining the detail/hardness
                              required in the small lines without burning the plate to the point of
                              curling. We always err on the side of detail, because curled plates
                              usually flatten during printing. If the detail isn't there, though,
                              it doesn't come back during printing!

                              Bethany's tip of allowing a large border around the plate is a good
                              one. Since I noticed that the solid area is at the plate edge, it may
                              be that we trimmed the plate too close to the solid. I'm beginning to
                              suspect this may be to blame. As I mentioned in my previous message,
                              we're happy to remake any plates you feel weren't made right. Let me
                              know if I can send a replacement for you to receive Wednesday.

                              Harold

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 5, 2007
                                Harold

                                As far as I know plates have a stated hardness rating; once cured, that
                                is their hardness. One isn't hardening a plate through curing, that is
                                to say, one cannot increase or decrease the hardness through the
                                process. It is simply being brought to state. It would be disastrous if
                                this were not the case.

                                I have no idea why plates would curl and rip away from the adhesive but
                                I suspect that temperature as well as humidity could come into play. I
                                do know that non-room temperature variance has an effect on exposure
                                times. I haven't experienced this on press though.

                                But I agree that putting a 4-pt text reverse on a solid is asking for a
                                difficult time on press. It can be done but I'd warn here against using
                                a delicately light serif face and/or composition that hasn't been
                                significantly tracked out at that size. Plus there simply isn't enough
                                relief (if exposed correctly, as you point out) and constant cleaning is
                                required.

                              • wa0dfw@copper.net
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 5, 2007
                                  Kinda normal out here!

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 6, 2007
                                    Gerald,

                                    As I understand it, you're right in theory. When processed correctly
                                    and stored at 50% relative humidity (and kept out of excessive
                                    ultraviolet light) afterwards, the plate will have its stated
                                    hardness. Once the environmental variables change (when the plate is
                                    sent out into the world), though, the plate can continue to harden.
                                    Leave a 152SB plate in an LA window sill and next week it will be so
                                    brittle that a slight flex in the plate can cause it to crack . This
                                    plate has gone beyond the hardness intended for it because of excess
                                    UV. The same can happen with plates that become excessively dry.

                                    The simple solution to this issue is to bag the plates and make sure
                                    they're out of light. Don't leave them out longer than necessary and
                                    remoisten them if they curl.

                                    In thinking this morning about John's suggestion of drying the plate
                                    longer, I realized this is a good suggestion during the Iowa summer.
                                    The humid weather then requires a longer (or hotter) drying to expel
                                    the right amount of moisture. I wonder, John, if you find yourself
                                    using a longer dry time more frequently in winter or in summer?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Harold

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 6, 2007
                                      Harold and list,
                                      Thanks for all the time you have taken to consider what my problems here might be. Having all this information I now feel my problems are due to a combination of things. I am using a thick plate (KF152) which Harold tells me has a higher tendancy to curl than their standard plate material and, being unaware of this tendancy, I have ganged together multiple pieces of artwork without allowing an expansive/expensive border in negative space to fight against the curling tendancy of this plate material in type high areas.
                                      When I mounted my plates and left them on the base overnight they were curling away from the adhesive by the next morning.
                                      When I went to print, the edges of the dead areas were raised enough to come into contact with the rollers and were therefore being inked and ghosting on the sheet on the print stroke. My quick and dirty solution was to trim even more of these
                                      dead areas away in order to prevent them from printing. This seems to
                                      be working okay, but I have noticed just a tiny bit of plate creep because so much of the plate isn't properly adhered to the base until the moment it is impressed.
                                      Because my studio is too large to keep it climate controlled overnight, I will try Harold's suggestion of placing a moist towel over the plate on the base and I will put weight on top of it until I arrive the next day to print again.
                                      Thanks again for all the suggestions. I still have 600 more impressions to do with these plates so I'll get back to cranking.

                                      Daniel Morris
                                      The Arm Letterpress
                                      Brooklyn, NY

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 6, 2007
                                        In a message dated 2/6/2007, harold@... writes:

                                        In thinking this morning about John's suggestion of drying the plate
                                        longer, I realized this is a good suggestion during the Iowa summer.
                                        The humid weather then requires a longer (or hotter) drying to expel
                                        the right amount of moisture. I wonder, John, if you find yourself
                                        using a longer dry time more frequently in winter or in summer?

                                        I agree with John about drying time affecting curl. Here in Denver the air
                                        is normally so dry a plate seems to need almost no drying time. I discovered
                                        this is deceptive -- if I don't dry long enough, there is still moisture in
                                        the plate which eventually dries, which seems to cause the plate to curl since
                                        the surface shrinks more (or faster) than the sub-surface of the polymer.
                                        Additional drying time (which I do with a hand-held hair drier) seems to solve
                                        most of my curling problems.

                                        The exact timing needed will vary according to humidity -- my methods are
                                        somewhat impressionistic (or should I say learned by craft and experience),
                                        usually blow-drying the plate until it is almost too hot to hold, and then a
                                        little longer.... I also added a little additional post-exposure time, for what
                                        it's worth, which seems to me to dry the plate further and maybe fix it
                                        better in its original flat condition throughout the full depth of the polymer.

                                        Larger surfaces still seem more prone to curl, and long storage still
                                        results in a more brittle and often more curled plate. (I don't know if the brittle
                                        quality is a result of an increased "hardness" of the polymer as it is
                                        exposed to further UV, or dry air, or some other kind of deterioration in the
                                        polymer such as Gerald suggests happens because of Ozone). But the result is that
                                        I don't often reuse old plates, but save the negative and remake the plate.

                                        Seems to me these variations may be better recognized when making plates by
                                        hand, rather than by setting timers on a machine, but maybe that's my own
                                        preference for hand-work showing. I did have to learn that some of the timing
                                        measurements have to be mechanically and very precisely followed, especially
                                        exposure times for differing kinds of images, and washout time limits.

                                        (Regarding the extra exposure needed to preserve very fine lines and dots, I
                                        would say that the polymer is not getting "harder" but may be hardening
                                        further all the way to the base, which also allows sub-surface material to harden
                                        more widely than the surface image -- which will provide additional support
                                        and protection for the fine surface lines or dots. An opposite process is
                                        involved in determining exposure time needed for printing a reverse line in a
                                        solid surface -- too much exposure time will allow the sub-surface to harden
                                        and widen to over-fill the detail of the reverse, thus leaving it without
                                        enough relief for printing -- so this kind of image needs to be under-exposed to
                                        protect the fine details. These processes are a result of the fact that the UV
                                        light does not just enter the negative/plate in a directly vertical
                                        direction, but angles through the image in the negative and thus exposes a wider area
                                        below the surface, and thus can harden an expanding sub-surface area of
                                        polymer the longer it has the chance.)

                                        Best wishes, Tom

                                        Tom Parson
                                        Now It's Up To You Publications
                                        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                                        (303) 777-8951 home
                                        (720) 480-5358 cell phone
                                        http://members.aol.com/typetom

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 7, 2007
                                          Tom

                                          I think this is fairly accurate. Don't know about exactly about the
                                          drying time thing or the humidity factor, nor have ever experienced the
                                          curling factor. But I love the word "impressionistic" in this regard
                                          (applies to machine processing as well as hand processing, by the way).

                                          PP isn't voodoo, it's just a technical process. Thus, I'm confused about
                                          the thinking on drying in the thread. Drying just removes the moisture
                                          left over from washout and has nothing to do with the innards of the
                                          matrix. Water doesn't actually get into the polymer. And while moisture
                                          must be maintained at a certain rate to prolong the longevity of plates
                                          I suspect far too much is being made of this.

                                          Your description of the photopolymerization process is as on the mark as
                                          it gets except that during extended exposure the relief grows upward
                                          (shallower) as the molecular structure continues to grow and interlock
                                          (because of the extended UV exposure).

                                          I'm also thinking there is confusion (in the thread) over the term
                                          hardness as opposed to eventual loss of tack and resilience, resulting
                                          in brittleness. Post-exposure simply ensures complete
                                          photopolymerization of the subsurface relief (the surface is already
                                          stabilized); it is suggested that it can prolong deterioration but
                                          common practice would indicate not to reuse plates (as per your
                                          practice)—it has not seemed a beneficial practice to me as well. I
                                          suspect if one waits a month or so to print from plates, well, one has
                                          missed the window of optimum opportunity.

                                          Fresh, seems to be a fairly politically correct term these days. "Fresh
                                          plates are good for your printing"?

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 7, 2007
                                            I find the most curling in heavy solids and halftone images. I do
                                            think the humidity is my greatest difficulty. My shop is not air-
                                            conditioned, so I do have some variations from winter to summer.

                                            Perhaps our California group members have a more stable environment
                                            so they do not notice the vargaries of moisture as it relates to
                                            photopolymer plate materials. It does seem that the plates are
                                            capable of some retention or loss of moisture after polymerization.

                                            John Henry

                                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, typetom@... wrote:

> [...]
                                            > and protection for the fine surface lines or dots. An opposite
                                            process is
                                            > involved in determining exposure time needed for printing a
                                            reverse line in a
                                            > solid surface -- too much exposure time will allow the sub-
                                            surface to harden
                                            > and widen to over-fill the detail of the reverse, thus leaving it
                                            without
                                            > enough relief for printing -- so this kind of image needs to be
                                            under-exposed to
                                            > protect the fine details. These processes are a result of the
                                            fact that the UV
                                            > light does not just enter the negative/plate in a directly
                                            vertical
                                            > direction, but angles through the image in the negative and thus
                                            exposes a wider area
                                            > below the surface, and thus can harden an expanding sub-surface

                                          • chelsea parker
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 7, 2007
                                              hi-

                                              I own a c & p pilot press, and a few parts are needing to be replaced, along with the handle. The handle had been modified by the previous owner and I am wanting a regular style one for printing. I have tried many places off of briar press, but no one seems to return my emails or phone calls. Does anyone have any clue about where I could get a c & p pilot press handle? If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

                                              Thanks so much.
                                              cheers
                                              -chelsea

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 8, 2007
                                                John

                                                It's plastic. Once cured, it's all downhill from there. Moisture is
                                                not retained by polymer, at best a certain threshold of moisture
                                                preserves its initial state in the short term. The molecular structure
                                                of manufactured polymers, however, has not proven stable in the long term.

                                                As much as the environmentalists condemn plastics, the
                                                preservationists wring their hands about how to save them. The
                                                Smithsonian can't keep astronaut suits from disintegrating much less
                                                keep Barbie Dolls from leaching.

                                                > Perhaps our California group members have a more stable environment
                                                > so they do not notice the vargaries of moisture as it relates to
                                                > photopolymer plate materials. It does seem that the plates are
                                                > capable of some retention or loss of moisture after polymerization.
                                                >
                                                > John Henry

                                              • Bethany Carter
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 8, 2007
                                                  Have you tried Don Black Linecasting in Canada? www.donblack.ca
                                                  That's were I got my little Craftsman press (like a Pilot) but I'm not sure
                                                  if they sell parts, it's worth a try though.

                                                  Good luck,

                                                  Bethany A. Carter

                                                  >From: chelsea parker <piecemeal.press@...>
                                                  >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: [PPLetterpress] c & p pilot press handle- HELP
                                                  >Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:00:01 -0800 (PST)
                                                  >
                                                  >hi-
                                                  >
                                                  >I own a c & p pilot press, and a few parts are needing to be replaced,
                                                  >along with the handle. The handle had been modified by the previous owner
                                                  >and I am wanting a regular style one for printing. I have tried many places
                                                  >off of briar press, but no one seems to return my emails or phone calls.
                                                  >Does anyone have any clue about where I could get a c & p pilot press
                                                  >handle? If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
                                                  >

                                                  >Thanks so much.
                                                  >cheers
                                                  >-chelsea

                                                  Awards� http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2
                                                • Joe Ranneba
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 9, 2007
                                                    Hello...

                                                    I am also looking for a Columbian #2 handle. This is very much like the
                                                    Pilot handle meaning I could probably use a Pilot handle for this
                                                    press. So, in other words, I am interested as well.

                                                    Thank you!

                                                    At 05:00 PM 2/7/2007, you wrote:

                                                    >hi-
                                                    >
                                                    >I own a c & p pilot press, and a few parts are needing to be replaced,
                                                    >along with the handle. The handle had been modified by the previous owner
                                                    >and I am wanting a regular style one for printing. I have tried many
                                                    >places off of briar press, but no one seems to return my emails or phone
                                                    >calls. Does anyone have any clue about where I could get a c & p pilot
                                                    >press handle? If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
                                                    >
                                                    >Thanks so much.
                                                    >cheers
                                                    >-chelsea

                                                    Joseph Rannebarger