Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Photopolymer plate processing

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
      The exposure problems that you're experiencing are most likely due to
      a short main exposure. The KF152 plates have very long burn times
      compared to other plates, and 10 minutes is not unheard of for the
      main exposure. If the exposure is too short, small dots and lines
      don't hold.

      The steel-backed plates are the same thickness as the KF152, so
      you'll find your Deep Relief Boxcar Base is about the right height to
      mount them as well. Since the steel backed plates are rigid, they
      should sit flat if you tape just the edges. A sheet of office paper
      behind the base ought to bring this plate up to type high (because
      you won't have a layer of adhesive as you would with the KF152). We
      don't support your printing things this way, but I figured that it's
      worth testing out before you try to machine one yourself.

      Good luck!
      Harold

      On Jan 27, 2007, at 7:12 PM, Ian Bristow wrote:
      > Thank you both for the information. I am not sure who manufactures
      > the plate, I purchased it from Boxcar. It is the plastic backed K
      > 152 for the DR bases that they sell. I have been corresponding with
      > Harold via email and will probably get some more info next week. I
      > also have a sample steel backed KM-152-R Printight plate that is
      > not compatible with the boxcar base. I have a friend at a machine
      > shop and was thinking of maybe having another base made for use
      > with this type of plate. Do you know what thickness I would need to
      > have it machined to?
      >
      > Thanks again
      >
      > Ian
      >
      > "riccardo.franci" <riccardo.franci@...> wrote: ---
      > InPPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ian
      > >
      > > What brand/manufacturer of plate are you using? They all differ a
      > bit.
      > >
      > > I am running a re-formulated Toyobo plate at that size and the
      > exposure
      > > is 4 minutes, washout 4.5 minutes/ post-exposure 8 minutes. This
      > seems
      > > to be a pretty good generic setting (for my machine and situation).
      > >
      > > I'd suspect your washout is too long, it should just clean the
      > floor,
      > > not undercut at the base. Plus you might want to double the exposure
      > > time for post-exposure.
      > >
      > > There might also be a problem with your brush height. Though I would
      > not
      > > recommend you fool with that unless you have a manual that tells you
      > how
      > > to do it. You can also lose dots etc simply because the room
      > temperature
      > > is too low before exposing. It is, after all, winter. I think
      > > over-exposure is going to cause more problems in regard to relief
      > > (shallower relief and bridging) than it does with surface area.
      > >
      > > Of course before anything else, check your exposure times with a
      > > Stouffer scale and make sure all your lamps are functioning. See my
      > post at
      > >
      > > http://bielerpressvii.blogspot.com/
      > >
      > > Gerald
      > >

      > > ductormanpaperboy wrote:
      > > > Hello to all Letterpress printers, I am looking for some advice on
      > > > plate processing. I have been using a small A5 Polimero plate
      > processor
      > > > to make my plates, it is an all in one unit. I am currently
      > processing
      > > > K 152 plastic backed plates. I am having problems with getting the
      > dots
      > > > over my i's to come out, are there any tricks to this? am I
      > washing out
      > > > to long or is my exposure time to short? (exposing 6 minutes, wash
      > out
      > > > of 5, post exposure 6 minutes) any help would be appreciated.
      > > >

      > > > Thanks
      > > > Ian
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

> [...]

      Harold Kyle
      Boxcar Press
      501 W. Fayette St. #222 ~ Syracuse, NY 13204
      315-473-0930 phone ~ 315-473-0967 fax
      http://www.boxcarpress.com