Re: Advice for deep impression

  • Casey McGarr
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2007
      I have really enjoyed reading everyones thoughts on this topic. You all are very talented at
      what you do and your passion for printing comes through in your writing. Thanks for your
      insight.

      I'm split between both customers that want kiss impression and most want a firm impression.
      The metaphor of engagement and rape of the paper is one I won't forget, that was a great
      definition of too much and just enough.

      Thanks,
      Casey
    • Crispin Elsted
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2007
        Dear Peter,

        Many thanks for your comments, with which I agree in large part. I should say (since evidently I didn't say so) that I too like a bit of 'bonk' on the right paper, and in the right circumstances. Walter Hamady's books are fine examples of a proportionate use of 'strong' impression (better 'strong' than 'heavy', perhaps), and I like his work immensely, but it should be noted that Walter usually makes his own paper, and his Shadwell sheets are produced, I think, with his own style of printing in mind. I'm also interested to see that in his "Hand Papermaking" (1982) he avoids printing text on the verso of the linocuts, in order to avoid interfering with the image. Clearly he has made his own preference for strength of impression a matter of style, and this is all subsumed in an overall aesthetic which, knowing Walter, he would quite properly and articulately defend.

        I like your image of 'virginal priss' to denote the passion (sic) for 'kiss (also sic) impression' which many recent printers achieve. The technical skill required to print that way is admirable, but the effect is a little bloodless -- like Boulez's Ravel.

        And by the way, and for the record, I have the greatest admiration and gratitude for Fritz and all his works.

        Cheers!

        Crispin

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2007
          Michael

          I live in "the belly of the beast."

          Even though I provide plate processing for clients who are far more
          financially successful than I, if I learn something that might be of
          use to them, I pass it on. I also, in regard to Crispin's comment,
          which I interpret to mean the basic atypographic quality of
          contemporary social printing (on which I concur), will occasionally
          recommend that certain typefaces simply are not technically well
          suited for photopolymer/letterpress, or a design approach is not going
          to replicate well—or they will continually encounter problems if they
          use them. They usually catch on. And forewarn their clients. There is
          somewhat of an educational process at play here. It never hurts to
          further the cause.

          It's "what the client wants" is not always the appropriate response.
          It's what the client needs. That is the primary responsibility of the
          designer/printer. Anything other than that and you (generic you) don't
          care. And if that's the case, what's the point of doing what you do?

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T. Metz" <mtmetz@...>

        • wa0dfw@copper.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2007
            My two cents...

            There are basically two types of deep impression. I rarely see them
            distinguished from each other in these diatribes.

            One is done on hard packing, on thicker stocks, and the image is
            impressed into the surface, but the rear of the sheet does not have
            to show this at all.

            This can be very beautiful work. I've done some of it myself, most
            recently on dampened hand-made "banana paper". It is also quite nice
            when tastefully done on cast covers such as Krome-Kote or the like.

            The other deep impression is on soft packing, and the type is beaten
            so deeply into the paper that it punches through the rear of the
            paper. I believe this is what most of the long-time letterpressmen
            eschew, as do I. It is not pretty, it is not art, at least in my
            "HUMBLE" opinion.
          • enkidu@hetnet.nl
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 25, 2007
              Some cents from Holland,

              Deep impression is acceptable with bookbinding in
              2 to 3 mm thick covers, though this was done by
              completely different presses for gilding.

              Some impressing is needed to be sure of a good
              image of the characters on the paper, without overinking.

              But the deep impression you see in old 17th century books,
              is not something to be copied today, and certainly not a
              landmark of artistic values.

              You can identify letterpress by examining the print by a microscope,
              there is a disticnt difference between old lead type and the
              computerized kerned fonts today, in shape and appearance.

              I will rather stick to newly cast Monotype-composition, but
              not all of us have this equippement available.

              "deep" impression, to my mind is just bad craftmanship.

              Best wishes

              John Cornelisse

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 25, 2007
                Gerald,

                Speaking of a need, would you consider publishing a compendium of your
                thoughts on fonts in polymer? If you would consider publishing a short
                missive, I'd buy it and I'd bet not a few others would as well. As
                a first round might even ask the list for a prepay and distribute it
                as as a pdf. Second round would include a printer's broadside "eye chart"
                of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

                Mike Metz
                www.lpress.com
                Lamppost Press

                _____

[...]

                Gerald
                http://BielerPress. <http://BielerPress.blogspot.com> blogspot.com

                --- In PPLetterpress@ <mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 25, 2007
                  Hello Mike

                  You've always got a lot of ideas. That's good. I like that. Keep them
                  coming as they say.

                  Pretty much everything I've written on digital-to-analog can be found in
                  the PDT monograph, the articles up at

                  http://bielerpressii.blogspot.com/

                  or scattered here and about in the message archives at PPL.

                  I did start a Database table there a long while back with a listing of
                  useful faces with commentary, but when no one else contributed to it I
                  eventually nicked it. And no longer have the data.

                  I am working on another monograph, for some several years now, but it
                  concentrates on d-t-a at the microtypographic level of investigation. My
                  very insular concern and interest. But I don't ever seem to have the
                  time (time = money, money = time) to complete it.

                  The problem with me concentrating on something like your proposal is
                  that we are in the midst of what appears to be a decade long transition
                  in font formats. Not many seem to be paying attention to this, but when
                  it is complete, many Postscript Type 1 typefaces (that have accumulated
                  over the last two decades) with be lost to us. And the format itself may
                  no longer be viable on forthcoming operating systems. So basically, it
                  would be a "short missive" with a constant need for revision. Based on
                  my experience with the need to revise and update PDT every three years
                  or so, I doubt I would be up for it.

                  All best

                  Gerald
                  ps. Do you have any more of the chapbook you did on the Heidelberg and
                  printing on toilet paper? I loved it so much I gave to a friend. Would
                  like to get a few more.

                  Michael T. Metz wrote:
                  > Gerald,
                  >
                  > Speaking of a need, would you consider publishing a compendium of your
                  > thoughts on fonts in polymer? If you would consider publishing a short
                  > missive, I'd buy it and I'd bet not a few others would as well. As
                  > a first round might even ask the list for a prepay and distribute it
                  > as as a pdf. Second round would include a printer's broadside "eye chart"
                  > of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
                  >
                  > Mike Metz
                  > www.lpress.com
                  > Lamppost Press

                • Michael T. Metz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 26, 2007
                    What was that Hee Haw song...

                    "If it weren't for bad ideas, I'd have no ideas at
                    all. Wo is me, the agony oh dear." Ha ha.

                    Thanks for putting up with it.

                    Mike
                    www.lpress.com
                    Lamppost Press

                    ps Yes, still have some of "When the Toilet Paper Hit the Windmill".
                    These are $8 back issues. Graham Moss recognized from eyeballing it
                    that I used Perpetua, but he could see the difference between it and
                    metal. The masthead (that is the wrong term, but I can't remember
                    the correct one at the moment) uses a blackletter face I found on
                    a single line on the title page of the New Testament section in a
                    19th century German bible. Spent three years searching for it's
                    history and a couple more digitizing that single line using Fontlab's
                    Scanfont. Search lead me to Hans Peter Willberg who lead me to a very
                    gracious Herr Eckehart SchumacherGebler at the Museum for Printing in
                    Leipzig who found me the money in a J.G. Schelter & Gieseke speciment
                    book: Neue Canzlei. Found several S&G specimen books at the Newberry
                    Library in Chicago, and it seems there were a lot of Chancelor faces.
                    I write all my letters in Neue Canzlei now, but I haven't digitized
                    the complete font yet so sometimes they are hard to read.

                    _____

                    http://bielerpressi <http://bielerpressii.blogspot.com/> i.blogspot.com/

                    Michael T. Metz wrote:
                    > Gerald,
                    >
                    > Speaking of a need, would you consider publishing a compendium of your
                    > thoughts on fonts in polymer? If you would consider publishing a short
                    > missive, I'd buy it and I'd bet not a few others would as well. As
                    > a first round might even ask the list for a prepay and distribute it
                    > as as a pdf. Second round would include a printer's broadside "eye chart"
                    > of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
                    >
                    > Mike Metz
                    > www.lpress.com
                    > Lamppost Press

                  • Ludwig M. Solzen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 28, 2007
                      Mike,

                      Not sure if the specific Canzlei you mention is in there, but Dipl.-Ing.
                      Gerhard Helzel has some quite well-done digitizations of Chancery
                      Blackletter founts (Kanzlei Frakturschriften), amongst which the "Schmale
                      Kanzlei" from Schelter & Giesecke (1886). It is amazing who Helzel manages
                      to do all this work: to-date over 250 digital revivals of classic
                      blackletter founts! And the outlines are no poor job for sure. At only ?
                      15-30,- per font purchasing a licence from Helzel really is a bargain.

                      http://www.romana-hamburg.de/fraktur6.htm (bottom of page)

                      http://www.romana-hamburg.de/fraktur7.htm (top of page)

                      Ludwig

                      _____

                      From: PPLetterpress@ <mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com [mailto:PPLetterpress@

                      <http://bielerpressii.blogspot.com/> i.blogspot.com/> i.blogspot.com/

                      Michael T. Metz wrote:
                      > Gerald,
                      >
                      > Speaking of a need, would you consider publishing a compendium of your
                      > thoughts on fonts in polymer? If you would consider publishing a short
                      > missive, I'd buy it and I'd bet not a few others would as well. As
                      > a first round might even ask the list for a prepay and distribute it
                      > as as a pdf. Second round would include a printer's broadside "eye chart"
                      > of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
                      >
                      > Mike Metz
                      > www.lpress.com
                      > Lamppost Press

                    • Michael T. Metz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 28, 2007
                        Danke Schoen Ludwig,

                        The closest is the Einfache Kanzlei. X height and weight
                        looks very close. You can see my sample on the cover of
                        my webpage. There were more than a half dozen Kanzlei
                        faces in the books I found in Chicago, all of these were
                        slight variations like you point to here. Mabye the "Canzlei"
                        was marketed for the Alsace/Lorraine region and is a French
                        spelling.

                        I posted the page from the Bible that started me down this path
                        and a link to the specimen page from Herr SchumacherGebler. Got
                        the bible at a farm auction in central Kansas.

                        Interesting that the publishing information/date are printed in
                        the middle of the bible at the beginning of the New Testament.

                        http://www.LPRESS.com/letterpress.html

                        Thanks for connecting me to Dipl.-Ing Helzel.
                        That price is in Euros. Weak dollar. Have to save up.

                        Mike Metz
                        www.lpress.com
                        Lamppost Press

                        _____

                        Not sure if the specific Canzlei you mention is in there, but Dipl.-Ing.
                        Gerhard Helzel has some quite well-done digitizations of Chancery
                        Blackletter founts (Kanzlei Frakturschriften), amongst which the "Schmale
                        Kanzlei" from Schelter & Giesecke (1886). It is amazing who Helzel manages
                        to do all this work: to-date over 250 digital revivals of classic
                        blackletter founts! And the outlines are no poor job for sure. At only ?
                        15-30,- per font purchasing a licence from Helzel really is a bargain.

                        http://www.romana- <http://www.romana-hamburg.de/fraktur6.htm>
                        hamburg.de/fraktur6.htm (bottom of page)

                        http://www.romana- <http://www.romana-hamburg.de/fraktur7.htm>

                        From: PPLetterpress@ <mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>