printing coasters on a Vandercook

  • brandtchristine
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      Hello. I was considering printing coasters on my Vandercook #4. Does anyone have any
      experience with this? The coasters seem too small and thick to be used with the grippers.
      Also does anyone have ink recommendations for such a project?

      thanks
      Christine
    • Casey McGarr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
        I don't think this can be printed on a Vandercook for a few reasons. The thickness of board
        that coasters come in 35pt, 60pt, and 80pt. But with that said you can print on any
        substraight and call it a coaster. The problem you will have printing on heavier board it that it
        won't wrap around your cylinder and it will break or crease. Next thing is the board thickness
        must be taken into consideration as type high is .918 and will have to compensate your plate
        height for board height. I would recommend that these be printed on a Platen Press. Easier
        make ready, it can handle thicker stock or board than a Vandercook, and it could die cut your
        coasters into a shape. My recommendation.

        Casey
      • maineontario
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
          Hello Christine, I have never done it but guess this depends on how
          many coasters you want to make and how much effort you want to put into
          it. The best approach I can think of would be to print a larger sheet
          of a thin substrate like paper or plastic, which could have one or
          several coasters printed on it. Then you could glue the printed sheet
          to whatever you wanted to make the thick bottom layer of the coaster
          out of, e.g. paperboard, cork, etc. You could print paper and then get
          an overall solid plate and coat the printed paper with at least two
          layers of overprint varnish to protect the paper from moisture. If you
          only use one layer of varnish, paper fibers could stick through the
          varnish layer and act like little wicks to wick the moisture through
          the varnish layer. The second varnish layer should seal most of those
          wicks. To avoid absorption and wicking problems, you could print
          sheets of white opaque plastic like polyester (e.g. DuPont Mylar) which
          is probably available in art supply stores. An even better method
          would be to reverse print sheets of clear polyester with the design,
          then overprint that with one or more solid layers of opaque white ink.
          In other words, the top of the coaster would be the unprinted side of
          the polyester, and you would look through the polyester to see the
          printed design against a solid white layer which you would print last.
          If you reverse printed your design for viewing through the polyester,
          then the plate would have to be right reading instead of wrong
          reading. Hope this helps, Geoff
        • alex brooks
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
            The folks at the Purgatory Pie Press in manhattan print coasters on
            their vandercook. They print full sheets of thick coaster material
            [1/16th inch] which is flexible enough along the grain to curve
            around the impression cylinder. Then they put on their die cutting
            jacket and cut the coasters out of the full sheet. They use the
            spaces cut out between the coasters, with an arc on top and bottom,
            for their business cards.

            It would probably be easier with a platen, but all they've got is the
            vandercook so they make it work. "use what you've got, make it work"

            My friends at the cricket press also recently screen printed some
            coasters which came out nicely.

            Anyone wanting to test the water-fastness of either set [purgatory
            pie- landmarks of nyc, cricket press- bicycle chainrings & animals]
            can stop by kentucky and have a few beers with me.

            cheers,
            alex
            press817

            "The only way to keep it going, is to keep it going." - GL